Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2021, 05:16 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by American_Renaissance View Post
SoCal is on the extreme end of interracial marriages especially if both spouses are nonwhite. No way is the whole US 22%.
Did you look at the link from Pew research?

Quote:
"Affective bias against interracial couples"...
But no one was talking about bias toward interracial couples.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-16-2021, 05:21 PM

148 posts, read 136,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Did you look at the link from Pew research?
I hadn't but I just did. I am surprised, especially with Utah.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:21 AM

6 posts, read 11,020 times
Quote:
Most people don't appreciate dissimilar immigrants. Most people prefer to live around, go to school with, socialize with, and marry people like themselves.
The only people I know who say this kind of stuff are racists.

Growing up in my generation, people made friends with all kinds of different backgrounds, given the neighborhoods were integrated and not artificially segregated. Asian, black, white, there was never any preference or prejudice to "be with their own". (Whatever that means) People make friends based on proximity. There are consequences of segregation that persist in the United States, due to attitudes such as yours.

Old 01-20-2021, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacificwave View Post

Growing up in my generation, people made friends with all kinds of different backgrounds, given the neighborhoods were integrated and not artificially segregated. Asian, black, white, there was never any preference or prejudice to "be with their own". (Whatever that means) People make friends based on proximity. There are consequences of segregation that persist in the United States, due to attitudes such as yours.
How segregated are housing patterns? There is no agreement on the best measure of housing segregation, but study after study shows that American communities are not highly integrated.
By in large, people want to live with people like themselves.
One large-scale study carried out by the State University of New York at Albany used a “segregation index,” which runs from zero to 100. Zero would mean completely random housing patterns, or complete integration, while 100 would be complete separation. Any number over 60 is considered “highly segregated.”
According to this analysis of 2000 census data, the national segregation index dropped during the 1990s from 69.4 to 65.1. However, the segregation index for children rose from 65.5 to 68.3.

"Affective bias against interracial couples",, Caitlin M Hudac PhD, Allison L. Skinner, Ph.D. University of Georgia, 2017/1/31, Journal: Journal of Experimental Social Psychology, Volume: 68, Pages 68-77
"Although today most Americans (87 per cent.) will respond they accept interracial marriage when polled, the reality is people are being socially pressured to go against what they really feel.
Revulsion at the very sight of racial mixing exists on a subconscious, instinctual level.
When it comes to sensitive matters like race, gender, sexual orientation, self-reporting normally yields false results because people are either unaware of their biases or they just lie about how they truly feel.
The brain waves of predominately white sample of college students was measured while they viewed 100 images of black-white interracial couples and an equal number of same-race couples (black and white).
Overall, participants showed a heightened level of activation in the insula when looking at interracial couples relative to looking at same-race couples.
Although the insula is not exclusively linked to disgust, taken with the results of our first study these findings suggest that people do tend to be more likely to experiece disgust when viewing interracial couples."

Old 01-20-2021, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Do you know very many census demographers or dating site data analysts or real estate data analysts?

Old 02-27-2021, 12:11 PM

26,712 posts, read 26,770,596 times
Huntington Beach Mayor Pro Tem Tito Ortiz strolled into a Huntington Beach burger shack, steps from the sand on Pacific Coast Highway, as he did every Sunday.

But this time, the employee behind the counter at TK Burger told the recently elected mayor pro tem he wouldn’t be served unless he put on a mask.

Angered by the snub, Ortiz pulled out his phone and started recording.

“So they won’t let me order unless I have a mask to come in,” the mixed martial arts fighter-turned-politician said in January from outside the eatery, a fixture in the community since 1995. “First time all year that I’ve actually been forced to wear a mask, but I’m not wearing a mask. TK Burger you lose my business. You lose H.B.’s business.”

https://www.latimes.com/california/s...ntington-beach

Old 02-27-2021, 01:19 PM

4,280 posts, read 6,082,236 times
At one point, 4/5 members of my immediate family, including myself, were in interracial marriages (three of which were with actual immigrants). All of us being from Southern California meant that it wasn't at all a thought for us because we were from an area that was very highly integrated. I've lived in other states where there aren't nearly as many interracial couples, but no one seemed to care that we were. Those who feel that most people only want to "stick with their kind" honestly are not anywhere near the majority. The numbers of such relationships are lower in other places simply because most places have a much different make up race wise.

Old 04-27-2021, 06:01 PM

367 posts, read 365,032 times
Quote:
Ever since California was annexed from Mexico, the white migrants who came here were largely uneducated white trash, seeking to get rich quick in the Gold Rush and land speculation. In fact, it was these very whites who committed the California Genocide, slaughtering nearly all of the Native Americans of California, stealing their land.

There are also military bases surrounding OC (Pendleton, Long Beach), and so historically there has been a military presence in OC. The military is known for using conservative white trash as cannon fodder, which brought them to OC.

Given this profile, it becomes easily understandable why places like Huntington Beach are the way they are. More of OC used to be like HB, but thankfully immigration has made it more diverse and hospitable. Not to mention, the whites who didn't strike it rich are now leaving CA because they can't afford the cost of living.
Calling military troops white trash? You are an ass.

Old 04-27-2021, 09:49 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jr6035 View Post
Calling military troops white trash? You are an ass.
You have to excuse pacificwave. He is obviously a product of the California public education system, where they haven't taught the actual history of the U.S. or California since 1980 or so. If you write down the correct slogans and bash the right people you get an A.

Old 04-28-2021, 04:44 PM

367 posts, read 365,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
You have to excuse pacificwave. He is obviously a product of the California public education system, where they haven't taught the actual history of the U.S. or California since 1980 or so. If you write down the correct slogans and bash the right people you get an A.
He can go to Oceanside on a Friday night and spout his B.S. See how that works out. My son would love to run into him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County