U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-11-2020, 10:02 AM

4,151 posts, read 1,610,364 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
There was a bad fire in Holy Jim Canyon (Holy Fire) in 2018, and the road/trail has been closed for a couple of years now.
Dang! For two years straight! That's a record, I've walked through hiking trails past burn areas and can't remember trails ever being closed that long.

Are they ever going to reopen?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-11-2020, 10:35 AM

10,073 posts, read 6,176,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
Dang! For two years straight! That's a record, I've walked through hiking trails past burn areas and can't remember trails ever being closed that long.

Are they ever going to reopen?
I don't know. The gate is closed and padlocked. They've already stated that people whose cabins burned down will not be allowed to rebuild (the cabins were "grandfathered" in anyway, as the area was designated a flood zone after they were built), and as far as I can tell not much maintenance or repair is going on in there.

I can see the burn area from my house and even after two years of pretty decent rain, it's still noticeably different from the surroundings. It takes a long time for vegetation to grow back fully.

Old 09-11-2020, 11:09 AM

142 posts, read 181,202 times
The 101 between the Valley and Ventura is really nice.

Old 09-12-2020, 08:38 AM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
How about a different mode of enjoying the scenery that abounds in South County.

Hiking the beautiful and scenic trails that range from easy to moderate. There are hiking books for our area
that have all kinds of information. It is great being outdoors with views, critters, and staying fit.

Plus you can really enjoy mother natures treasures at your own speed, not at 50 mph.

Otherwise, you have received marvelous driving tips .

Old 09-12-2020, 11:03 AM

3,397 posts, read 8,541,988 times
I lived in Lake Forest from 2000 to 2017. For a scenic back roads drive during the cooler weather season, drive east from SJC on Ortega Highway (Hwy 74). Near the summit just past the El Cariso fire station, turn right (south) on South Main Divide Rd. It is a narrow paved road that follows the ridge of mountains above Lake Elsinore with great views. Keep following this road for 12 or more miles through oak tree filled canyons and valleys until you end up on the Santa Rosa Plateau west of Wildomar. Then head east past all the equestrian estates into Wildomar to reach I-15. Then you can head north to Lake Elsinore and west over Ortega Hwy. You will probably not see more than 3 or 4 vehicles for the entire stretch along South Main Divide Rd, which is good since it is mostly a 1 lane very winding paved road.

Another excellent back roads drive is Glendora Mountain Rd that heads north into the mountains from Glendora. At the junction with Glendora Ridge Rd, you can go right onto Glendora Ridge Rd. It is a winding, one lane road that ends up at the base of Mt Baldy, then take Mt Baldy Rd back down to Glendora. This is not a moderately scenic trip, it is stunning.

Old 09-12-2020, 11:37 AM

335 posts, read 125,883 times
Many of the routes mentioned in this thread are closed, and have been for a long time. If you like apple pie, head out to Julian, CA. Google map it, and take the back roads, like 79, from Temecula or the 78 from Escondido, to Julian, and all around down there. It can get hot in the summer, but October is nice. Great motorcycle riding around there. Weekends can be really crowded, so try it on a weekday.

Old 09-12-2020, 03:59 PM

872 posts, read 320,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW R1100 View Post
Many of the routes mentioned in this thread are closed, and have been for a long time. If you like apple pie, head out to Julian, CA. Google map it, and take the back roads, like 79, from Temecula or the 78 from Escondido, to Julian, and all around down there. It can get hot in the summer, but October is nice. Great motorcycle riding around there. Weekends can be really crowded, so try it on a weekday.
Always enjoyed going to Julian.

Old 09-13-2020, 07:20 PM

251 posts, read 243,429 times
Great info . so many great drives available to us. Fantastic !

Speaking of Julian, we will be heading up there mid Oct, for three days and staying at the Butterfield B and B. Really looking forward to spending some easy time, doing some hiking, and star gazing, the wineries are open, but on limited schedules. Some of our fave restaurants are also open and have out door seating . Open days are also limited so we planned around all that. ( hopefully ) .

Yep, we are definitely blessed with living in orange county with so many great road trips, and outdoor activities .

We were hoping Borrego Springs would open back up for our annual Thanksgiving days, out there. Kind of a special get a way, every november. We will have to see how the Covid situation is at that time..

Thank you all for the great driving scoops. Some, I have not been to in years, and years, and some I have never experienced.

Old 09-14-2020, 04:04 PM

142 posts, read 181,202 times
Yesterday I went for a ride and took El Toro north from Portola, went all the way past Cook's Corner up past the toll roads to Jamboree, and then came back down again. It was really nice, great views of Irvine Lake and the hills around Santiago Canyon.

Old 09-14-2020, 07:22 PM

1,440 posts, read 1,348,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1981 View Post
Yesterday I went for a ride and took El Toro north from Portola, went all the way past Cook's Corner up past the toll roads to Jamboree, and then came back down again. It was really nice, great views of Irvine Lake and the hills around Santiago Canyon.

Nice. I haven't been to Irvine Lake in 22 years. Maybe I'll take our Tesla around those scenic roads for some carbon-neutral enjoyment. I've been wanting to take our Duramax out to Maple Springs in Silverado...not sure if those truck trails are open during COVID.

As for nice scenic drives, my wife and I have driven down to San Clemente, around Newport Coast, through the roads of the Long Beach Grand Prix (halfway setup before the Shutdown), San Pedro (Korean Friendship Bell), Watts Tower (under renovation), and the lighthouse at Palos Verdes throughout this COVID-era.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County