Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Is Irvine more Keep up with the Joneses than Lake Forest?
Yes 22 75.86%
No 7 24.14%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2020, 10:30 AM

4,147 posts, read 2,956,277 times

Advertisements

I grew up in Irvine and every time I visited Lake Forest it was a world of difference.

Irvine seemed to be much more of a rat race. Students in the schools were always super competitive and the streets were filled with fleets of Mercedes, Lexus, Benz. The place was very career driven. The malls were constantly renovated by the Irvine company to be super cool and hipster and cutting edge, filled with some very overpriced restaurants that would soon be replaced by another restaurant because the tenant turnover in all these malls was incredibly high from the high rent.

And of course, it seemed like people were far more caught up in possessions and fashion in Irvine than in Lake Forest.

Every time I went to Lake Forest, sure, it was also a well educated, upper middle class suburb, but everything seemed to move at a slower pace. It felt a bit more middle America and down to earth, where kids were encouraged to study hard but still have fun and not pressured to get straight A's and get into a prestigious college. Where people, even highly accomplished people, didn't rattle out their resumes. Where people didn't drive the latest, biggest cars and where the ladies dressed more plainly.

While Irvine seemed to be very much a time is money, money buys happiness, newer is better, filet mignon and lobsters, and live to work town, Lake Forest seemed to be a relatively low key, work to live, traditional values, meat and potatoes, get to know your neighbor, Middle America kind of town.

Of course I speak in relative terms, and Lake Forest is much more fast paced than rural Iowa or rural Mississippi. But it seemed like Irvine was much more of Keep up with the Joneses and get more new shiny stuff, while Lake Forest people were more low key. Case in point: Lake Forest actually has a slightly higher household income than Irvine, but just at first glance, you see a lot more fancy cars and homes in Irvine than Lake Forest.

What are your thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2020, 11:32 AM

4,477 posts, read 3,297,118 times
It depends on when you grew up in Irvine. The Irvine of the 1970's is very different from the Irvine of the 1990's and the Irvine of the 1990's is very different from the Irvine of the 2010's.

I also think the topic over generalizes both places.

Old 10-26-2020, 03:23 PM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I don't think many here are familiar enough with both places to make a judgment.

I was at the Irvine Costco today and continued up the 5 as far as Jeffrey. It was apocalyptic, with a raging orange sky and ashes falling like snow. The main arteries were clogged with people evacuating from North Irvine.

After a side trip to Laguna Beach, I stopped at my mother-in-law's house off El Toro Road in Lake Forest to drop off some things I had picked up for her at Costco. It was calm and peaceful there.

Not a normal day, obviously.

Irvine is much faster paced than Lake Forest. That hasn't changed. The average age of the residents is older, too.

Old 10-27-2020, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I don't think many here are familiar enough with both places to make a judgment.

I was at the Irvine Costco today and continued up the 5 as far as Jeffrey. It was apocalyptic, with a raging orange sky and ashes falling like snow. The main arteries were clogged with people evacuating from North Irvine.

After a side trip to Laguna Beach, I stopped at my mother-in-law's house off El Toro Road in Lake Forest to drop off some things I had picked up for her at Costco. It was calm and peaceful there.

Not a normal day, obviously.

Irvine is much faster paced than Lake Forest. That hasn't changed. The average age of the residents is older, too.
But don't you find it surprising that the average household income in Lake Forest is higher than in Irvine? At first glance, you seem to see a lot more luxury cars and fancy houses in Irvine, and people dress more fashionably. Doesn't that strike you as Irvine having more conspicuous consumption?

Old 10-27-2020, 09:53 AM

2,029 posts, read 2,357,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJester View Post
But don't you find it surprising that the average household income in Lake Forest is higher than in Irvine? At first glance, you seem to see a lot more luxury cars and fancy houses in Irvine, and people dress more fashionably. Doesn't that strike you as Irvine having more conspicuous consumption?
Not to stereotype, but since Irvine is far more Asian, brand recognition and academic accomplishment are way more on the radar in that town than most places. It is simply cultural.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:00 AM

23,250 posts, read 18,751,797 times
Quote:
Just because someone's income is higher doesn't mean they feel the need to flaunt it. Often just the opposite. Older folks (a community with a different age bracket that isn't changing much) who have lived with money longer may not care about impressing anyone. They're past that stuff.

Old 10-27-2020, 10:21 AM

14,299 posts, read 11,673,706 times
I agree with the previous two posters. Flashiness does not equal greater wealth. My husband is a BMW mechanic, so he sees a lot of people who have expensive cars but can't afford to pay their repair bills. It's extremely common. In fact, we pretty much assume that if we see a younger person driving a brand-new BMW (Mercedes, Porsche, Tesla, etc.) they can't afford it. They're leasing or making a huge car payment in order to look a certain way.

I think Irvine, much more than Lake Forest and the other nearby inland cities, trades on its image. It attracts people because it looks so upscale, and it tries hard to look that way. But that really does not mean there is more actual money there, spread out among all the people.

Old 10-27-2020, 02:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justabystander View Post
Not to stereotype, but since Irvine is far more Asian, brand recognition and academic accomplishment are way more on the radar in that town than most places. It is simply cultural.
Academics obviously, but brand recognition? Are white people really less into brand names and conspicuous consumption than Asians are?

Old 10-27-2020, 03:20 PM

3,433 posts, read 3,745,594 times
Quote:
What are your thoughts?
I think you have too much time on your hands.

Old 10-27-2020, 05:14 PM

70 posts, read 99,580 times
Quote:
Won't the UCI students bring down the average income for Irvine?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County