Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 07:25 PM

4 posts, read 30,208 times

Advertisements

Recently,took early retirement from my crazy job.I live in Canoga Park ( not in good area)...I've never been outside the west valley .I'd like to move before next Summer as no longer can tolerate the heat and unhealthy air quality.
I have no family at all nor pets.So I want to enjoy the sunrise/sunset and the breeze by the beach.I hate to drive and but I walk daily 6 miles for exercise or running errands.And away from noise, gangs and drugs.I chose those 3 beach towns because Metrolinks serve those areas,San Clemente,Ventura,Oceanside (but recently I read here that Oceansideis having gang problems) ,.I have to return here few times a year to see my doctor and dentist as I had them for years .Which town will be the best for me to live in? Thanks a lot for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-06-2007, 08:58 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,601 times
Just not oceanside
High gang problem and traffic in and out of SD is a mess everyday of the week.

Old 07-19-2007, 01:17 PM

1 posts, read 8,958 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by samms7 View Post
Recently,took early retirement from my crazy job.I live in Canoga Park ( not in good area)...I've never been outside the west valley .I'd like to move before next Summer as no longer can tolerate the heat and unhealthy air quality.
I have no family at all nor pets.So I want to enjoy the sunrise/sunset and the breeze by the beach.I hate to drive and but I walk daily 6 miles for exercise or running errands.And away from noise, gangs and drugs.I chose those 3 beach towns because Metrolinks serve those areas,San Clemente,Ventura,Oceanside (but recently I read here that Oceansideis having gang problems) ,.I have to return here few times a year to see my doctor and dentist as I had them for years .Which town will be the best for me to live in? Thanks a lot for your time.
Choose San Clemente. I am just moving up to the Ventura area and it seems VERY SCARY from what I've been reading in news archives on gang and assault issues. Oceanside has also been getting cleaned up and would be my second choice, but San Clemente is a great area. It's more expensive, but there are always ways to find a nice place. The main street down town, Del Mar, is a walk up hill from the pier, where there is a train stop (have to look into specifics). Then there is a full train stop farther north at the end of town.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:09 PM

852 posts, read 3,813,332 times
Nice beach, cute restaurants on Del Mar and along the beach, less consistently bad traffic ... San Clemente would be my pick.

Old 07-19-2007, 05:20 PM

4,610 posts, read 11,099,432 times
Gangs are in Ventura! I lived in Ventura Country for almost 30 years. 3.5 years of that was in Oxnard on the beach (highly gang infested). They even have a "gang injunction" and I heard Ventura is considering that too because of the gang problem.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:39 PM

376 posts, read 1,505,494 times
San Clemente, or you could add San Juan or Dana Point! All nice communities.

Old 07-19-2007, 09:53 PM

334 posts, read 915,319 times
My vote is for San Clemente as well. It's the most pleasant of the three.

Old 07-21-2007, 05:05 PM

Default Thx.

Thanks you all for the replies.So far,I visited San Clemente and people there were nice,walking on the beach was great but Trader Joe's,nice Markets ,Walmart and Cinema are on the other side kind hard for walking and biking.
Ventura, I did not feel comfortable there and saw few gang and 8 homeless.
Camarillo, I liked it and walked all over town.. I did not see any homeless there.I talked to few residents there and seemed they like it a lot..Too bad no beach. Any con and pro about Camarillo? I really appreciated.
Next 2 weeks, I'm planing to take orange,red,blue and green lines to see Manhattan,Hermosa,Redondo Beaches.Probably,I probably try to see Oceanside as it is too bad living in So. Cal. and not seeing it for once.
So now If I asked which one you like better as walkable town and no gang violence: Manhattan, Hermosa,Redondo Beaches,San Clemente or Camarillo?

Old 07-21-2007, 06:29 PM

28 posts, read 158,050 times
man i work in canogA IT isnt horrid as ur saying im white to. i wld chse san clemente though

Old 07-22-2007, 03:11 PM

Default To Mr. Lanatlve

Mr.Lanatlve, my street in Canoga Park has changed a lot.. We have 3 to 5 families living in each house.. The road looks like car lot. The only good neighbor for the last 23 years and he worked for the Police Dept. has his house for sale for the last 4 months.He told me it is time to move.. Too much noise , loud music daily and fireworks around the Holidays. dailynews.com/ci_6399728
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County