U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2020, 02:46 PM

16,758 posts, read 35,746,236 times

Advertisements

El Patio Cafe, born 1937, died a Covid-related death in Sept of 2020. Another piece of my South County youth (and adulthood) gone. ***le sigh***

As a wee child, I would tag along with my late parents whenever they felt like downing some of Lucy's tacos. This began in 1960. I began in 1955. Over the years I continued to honor my belly with their food. Even after leaving the area in '04, I would make a concerted effort to drop by for a feeding when in town.

Adios Jackie, Irma, Ida, Joyce, Margarita, Luz. same to some of the ladies from back in the sixties (Lukie, Carmen) although they've long since joined la Lucy.

If Jackie were to pull a Steve Labat (who offered his delicious food for catering after closing the Picnic in SJC) that would keep a connection alive, but I realize that's a selfish desire on my part, especially if he's over it and ready for a change.

(Notice I used "Capo Beach" as the location. I still can't bring myself to call it Dana Point and never will. I'm old, crotchety, my knees hurt, somebody's probably on my lawn, change bothers me, and I'd love nothing more than to tuck into my usual plate from Lucy's. Alas, poor Yorik. To everything an ending comes)

Jack G

Here's something that covers some of the history of the place.

https://www.ocregister.com/2013/06/0...fter-76-years/
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM

151 posts, read 54,726 times
Plenty of Mexican dining still in Capo and I should know since I go often. What about Olemendi's?

Old 11-21-2020, 12:12 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Beloved institutions are falling left and right. Does Home Depot carry pitchforks and torches?

Old 11-21-2020, 12:30 AM

738 posts, read 691,704 times
Definitely the end of an era. <Heavy Sigh>

https://www.loopnet.com/Listing/3422...h-CA/20662764/

Old 11-23-2020, 01:53 PM

734 posts, read 1,052,863 times
What a bummer. I lived in that area but never ate at El Patio, but always took great comfort in knowing those places existed. It was the history and character that mattered, plus I'd always tell myself I will eat there some day.

One less reason to visit the area. I wonder what franchise will replace it.

Old 11-24-2020, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Para Bellum View Post
Plenty of Mexican dining still in Capo and I should know since I go often. What about Olemendi's?
Not a fan.

La Siesta Restaurant in San Clemente* is excellent, and they're managing to stay afloat with outdoor dining, takeout, and curbside.

Ricardo's in SJC is also a good choice, albeit a bit on the $$ side. Ricardo's a fellow grad of SCHS (he '74, I '73). He started out in the restaurant biz working for George Olamendi decades ago.

*which coincidentally, occupies Olamendi's first location before George took over the space formerly occupied by the much-missed and long-lamented Henry's

Old 11-24-2020, 03:59 PM

By the way, there's another one of these old, still in the same family and location Mexican joints in San Bernardino, should you ever find yourself jonesing for the cuisine while on the 215, 10, 210, or old Rt 66. In fact, it fronts the old highway, now known as N. Mt Vernon Ave in that part of SB. I like the food at Mitla.

Dating back to 1937, Mitla also holds a place in American fast-food history.

Sometime in the early sixties, a man named Glenn Bell opened a burger stand directly across W 6th St from Mitla. Their tacos impressed him in both their deliciousness and volume of sales. So he added his take on those tacos to his menu, and thus was Taco Bell born. That burger stand still exists, only slightly altered in appearance. It's now known as, appropriately, Amapola Rico Taco.

Old 11-24-2020, 06:54 PM

151 posts, read 54,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
By the way, there's another one of these old, still in the same family and location Mexican joints in San Bernardino, should you ever find yourself jonesing for the cuisine while on the 215, 10, 210, or old Rt 66. In fact, it fronts the old highway, now known as N. Mt Vernon Ave in that part of SB. I like the food at Mitla.

Sometime in the early sixties, a man named Glenn Bell opened a burger stand directly across W 6th St from Mitla. Their tacos impressed him in both their deliciousness and volume of sales. So he added his take on those tacos to his menu, and thus was Taco Bell born. That burger stand still exists, only slightly altered in appearance. It's now known as, appropriately, Amapola Rico Taco.
Very interesting.

Old 11-24-2020, 09:26 PM

738 posts, read 691,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post

Home of the Taco Dorado. I recall eating at Mitla’s while on a business trip to San Bernardino about 10 years ago.

Old 11-24-2020, 10:39 PM

As long as we're on the subject, the very first Del Taco (known as Casa Del Taco back then) was opened for business around 1964 by founders Ed Hackbarth and David Jameson, at 38484 W Yermo Rd in the flyspeck town of Yermo, east of boring Barstow. That one stands to this day and still serves burgers, burritos, and tacos. It's called Tita's Burger Den and is a mere 2000' due south of the 15 as the crow flies and a bit farther as the roads go. I double-checked and they are still serving take out. There is no inside dining, just a few outside pikanik tables. The last time I was there (6 yrs) they had a drive-thru, but I don't know if that survives. The food sure was a hit with everyone in the car.

Say what you will about San Bernardino County, the 909, and the surrounding IE, but you can't avoid the impact on American fast food. Some of the major players (and former major players) were birthed here:

• McDonalds
• Taco Bell
• Del Taco
• Naugles (Riverside)
• Farmer Boys (Perris)
• Baker's Drive-Thru (San Bern, mainly an IE/HD chain, very popular)

In/Out missed the IE/909 start tag by just 10 miles to the west.

I'm sure I'm leaving some unmentioned, especially sit-down chains.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County