Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2017, 11:54 PM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times

Advertisements

At a family gathering over the weekend, one of the attendees told of hundreds of teacher pink-slips recently handed out due to a dramatic drop in enrollment due to illegal aliens leaving OC (specific example was in the Santa Ana area). I usually try to independently verify such claims by this particular family member, so I came home and Googled it. I only found one article in the OC Register from this past spring that mentioned teacher layoffs due to enrollment drop, but the article didn't mention a single thing about why enrollments were down. Anyone have any actual knowledge they care to share...not just conjecture? Don't know if this is fact or fiction.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2017, 07:54 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
They're claiming that the layoffs are due to budget issues.

http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/...ors-santa-ana/

Layoffs scheduled for other school districts as well, e.g. Azusa, Montebello, and LAUSD

LAUSD to notify 1,600 administrators of possible layoffs | abc7.com
http://losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/...officials-say/
School layoffs planned more than 40 California school districts | 89.3 KPCC

Old 06-19-2017, 09:02 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Plan for tax increases.

Old 06-19-2017, 09:34 AM

1,449 posts, read 1,145,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
They're claiming that the layoffs are due to budget issues.
Thanks for the links!

So, all the articles seem to state the "reduction in force" is due to the governor's budget. Some refer to a drop in enrollment, but it doesn't sound like it's anything sudden. In fact, one report specifically says the drop in enrollment has been happening over the last decade. But not one source mentions a connection to anything related to illegals fleeing the state out of fear they'll be deported -- which is specifically what my family member claimed was the problem, blaming it on the Trump presidency. I didn't include that claim in my original post as I was trying not to "lead the witness".

Old 06-19-2017, 09:43 AM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
It's due to the budget shortfall. Illegals leaving would only help the situation (teachers and tax payers).

Old 06-19-2017, 10:45 AM

26,717 posts, read 26,776,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by max210 View Post
It's due to the budget shortfall. Illegals leaving would only help the situation (teachers and tax payers).
No, the state pays a certain amount per pupil to the school district. No matter what the cause, the lower the student enrollment, the less $ coming in.

Old 06-19-2017, 10:48 AM

6,089 posts, read 4,984,084 times
The real tragedy here is that people considered putting their kids into Santa Ana schools where 2/3 of the students can't write in English satisfactorily for their grade level.

Why would parents do that to their kids? Tragic.

Old 06-19-2017, 11:03 AM

4,453 posts, read 6,796,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ImmerLernen View Post
Thanks for the links!

So, all the articles seem to state the "reduction in force" is due to the governor's budget. Some refer to a drop in enrollment, but it doesn't sound like it's anything sudden. In fact, one report specifically says the drop in enrollment has been happening over the last decade. But not one source mentions a connection to anything related to illegals fleeing the state out of fear they'll be deported -- which is specifically what my family member claimed was the problem, blaming it on the Trump presidency. I didn't include that claim in my original post as I was trying not to "lead the witness".
This one school in LAUSD went from 3000 to 1450 students and that was written back in 2012.

Westchester High improves in attendance, test scores after conversion to science magnet

Old 06-19-2017, 11:37 AM

18,172 posts, read 16,384,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
No, the state pays a certain amount per pupil to the school district. No matter what the cause, the lower the student enrollment, the less $ coming in.
Plus with fewer students you need ........ fewer teachers. You also should need fewer administrators.

I suspect the budget has nothing to do with it, but they want more money and blame it on that.

Old 06-19-2017, 02:26 PM

4,481 posts, read 2,283,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by expatCA View Post
Plus with fewer students you need ........ fewer teachers. You also should need fewer administrators.

I suspect the budget has nothing to do with it, but they want more money and blame it on that.
I'm sure there are other unnecessary programs in this state that could be cut out if there really is a shortage of budget. Like a high speed train to nowhere, for example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County