U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2020, 01:02 PM

10,062 posts, read 6,171,164 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ergo Para Bellum View Post
I call it silly. The truth is that southern and central OC is a pact of small cities banded together with some larger ones in north OC that few genuinely wish to fully claim as many have become ethno burbs for Greater LA.
Ouch! Painful, but true. I grew up in La Habra and I've lost count of the number of people in South OC who told me in all seriousness that I was mistaken, that La Habra is in LA County not Orange County.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2020, 01:18 PM

870 posts, read 318,864 times
Quote:
This is the same as the nonsensical vision that Santa Ana has: That all of OC is a suburb of Santa Ana because it predates...

I call it silly. The truth is that southern and central OC is a pact of small cities banded together with some larger ones in north OC that few genuinely wish to fully claim as many have become ethno burbs for Greater LA.

Most of the areas in south and central OC are new or newer. The fact that one city tends to predate another by a little bit and is thus adjacent newer (often much larger) cities are its supposed suburbs, is specious.
NB does not predate Irvine by a little bit.

Newport Beach was a city by 1906.

Irvine in 1971

Irvine has been around for about 49 years and Newport for about 114 years, more than double Irvine.

Irvine is a nice place to live and I have friends there. Newport is far more desirable though. I spent a lot of my childhood in NB. when Irvine did not exist.

Old 12-16-2020, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
NB does not predate Irvine by a little bit.

Newport Beach was a city by 1906.

Irvine in 1971

Irvine has been around for about 49 years and Newport for about 114 years, more than double Irvine.

Irvine is a nice place to live and I have friends there. Newport is far more desirable though. I spent a lot of my childhood in NB. when Irvine did not exist.
Coastal areas are always going to be more desirable and expensive than inland areas. No one is disputing that. What people are saying is that the fact that Irvine didn't exist when you were young (its age) is irrelevant. Older does not always equal better or more famous. Santa Ana was founded in 1869 (151 years old), but no one thinks of Santa Ana as a "big draw" in Orange County.

Nowadays, when people in other parts of the US and in fact other parts of the world, are thinking of moving to OC and are also interested in a big house, good job opportunities, and good schools, the first place they think of is Irvine. Yes, that's a newish phenomenon, but it's a fact.

Old 12-16-2020, 03:42 PM

870 posts, read 318,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Coastal areas are always going to be more desirable and expensive than inland areas. No one is disputing that. What people are saying is that the fact that Irvine didn't exist when you were young (its age) is irrelevant. Older does not always equal better or more famous. Santa Ana was founded in 1869 (151 years old), but no one thinks of Santa Ana as a "big draw" in Orange County.

Nowadays, when people in other parts of the US and in fact other parts of the world, are thinking of moving to OC and are also interested in a big house, good job opportunities, and good schools, the first place they think of is Irvine. Yes, that's a newish phenomenon, but it's a fact.
Well many are thinking of Irvine, as I did even once. But NB has minimal houses on the market and in general at a far higher price than Irvine, so Irvine like MV, LN, LF and RSM get a lot of people moving in due to availability and cost. and other newer cities get more attention. Anyone who can afford it will generally pick it over Irvine IF they can afford it. Then having children does impact it for schools, though NB schools are not bad at all, but that can make a difference.

Old 12-16-2020, 10:26 PM

8 posts, read 3,072 times
Thanks all, really great feedback here.

Finding some good options in areas we never considered such as Cerritos, Cypress, Los Alamitos. Schools seem great, a little more space compared to HB, and a reasonable commute.

I think we're keeping focus on:

- Huntington Beach
- Cerritos
- Cypress
- Los Alamitos
- Irvine
- Redondo Beach
- West Torrance

Old 12-16-2020, 11:35 PM
DKM

5,492 posts, read 1,987,123 times
You're getting good advice here. Location matters here just like it does in ATL but you can't always tell desirability by newer bigger homes. You are renting and your kids aren't going into schools yet so rent a bit closer to work for a year. Driving around looking at neighborhoods to live in is actually quite fun especially when its always 70 to 80 degrees and sunny. Well not with a 1 year old but still...

I know a young family quite happy with north Redondo. Schools and lifestyle.

PS, you aren't going to find anything like leafy Georgia cul de sacs anywhere near where you are working.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:31 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Quote:
That's a lofty statement. I am not sure I agree. Many could look at NP as simply "Irvine's beach".
The billionaires in OC have their facilities in Irvine, but by and large live in Newport Beach or Laguna Beach.

Quote:
This is the same as the nonsensical vision that Santa Ana has: That all of OC is a suburb of Santa Ana because it predates... I call it silly. The truth is that southern and central OC is a pact of small cities banded together with some larger ones in north OC that few genuinely wish to fully claim as many have become ethno burbs for Greater LA.
Not even quite sure what you are talking about, but lots of OC was once a suburban commuter area for LA. Now it has flipped. The traffic coming south in the morning into Irvine and Newport Beach is as big as the cars leaving.

Quote:
Older does not always equal better or more famous. Santa Ana was founded in 1869 (151 years old), but no one thinks of Santa Ana as a "big draw" in Orange County.
No older doesn't always equal more famous, but Newport Beach has been famous for over 100 years. It was a playground for the rich and famous early on.

Quote:
Maybe the middle classes, but the money coming in from off shore is buying in the Newport Coast.

None of this has anything to do with what the OP asked for or about. I didn't mention Newport or Irvine, because Cypress, West Garden Grove, Seal Beach and Los Alamitos are better choices for what he is looking for. Bixby Knolls area too.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:07 AM

8 posts, read 3,072 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
You're getting good advice here. Location matters here just like it does in ATL but you can't always tell desirability by newer bigger homes. You are renting and your kids aren't going into schools yet so rent a bit closer to work for a year. Driving around looking at neighborhoods to live in is actually quite fun especially when its always 70 to 80 degrees and sunny. Well not with a 1 year old but still...

I know a young family quite happy with north Redondo. Schools and lifestyle.

PS, you aren't going to find anything like leafy Georgia cul de sacs anywhere near where you are working.
Yeah I'm really thinking we do a short-term rental until we can find the area we want to settle in, luckily the relo benefits extend through yr 1 for my company so I can get some assistance with buying once we decide.

People might think I'm crazy, but started looking out towards Anaheim Hills today and it seems really nice out there (and parts of Yorba Linda).

Compared to some of the places around Great Park in Irvine we found (which i love the concept for the family and kids), it seems to be the same travel time and distance; 35 miles and ~35-55m est commute.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smbartl5 View Post
Compared to some of the places around Great Park in Irvine we found (which i love the concept for the family and kids), it seems to be the same travel time and distance; 35 miles and ~35-55m est commute.
I'm finding those time estimates optimistic. Both drives are 40-45 minutes with NO traffic. Which is the case right now, and those who are still commuting are loving it, but it's not going to be the case forever.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:36 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbartl5 View Post
Yeah I'm really thinking we do a short-term rental until we can find the area we want to settle in, luckily the relo benefits extend through yr 1 for my company so I can get some assistance with buying once we decide.

People might think I'm crazy, but started looking out towards Anaheim Hills today and it seems really nice out there (and parts of Yorba Linda).

Anaheim Hills is great, so is Villa Park, Yorba Linda, Brea and Placentia, but the 91 is the WORST, most SOUL CRUSHING freeway in So Cal. Count on a one hour minimum of stop and go, stress inducing traffic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County