U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-17-2020, 11:45 AM

8 posts, read 3,072 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
I'm finding those time estimates optimistic. Both drives are 40-45 minutes with NO traffic. Which is the case right now, and those who are still commuting are loving it, but it's not going to be the case forever.
Yeah I'm a bit terrified to see what it looks like when back to completely normal (or what it was like pre-COVID). I've lived in DC and ATL, so those were bad, but I dont think they hold a candle to LA area.

I would imagine some improvement will last, over past years, with many companies looking to keep teleworking policies in place?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimTheEnchanter View Post
Anaheim Hills is great, so is Villa Park, Yorba Linda, Brea and Placentia, but the 91 is the WORST, most SOUL CRUSHING freeway in So Cal. Count on a one hour minimum of stop and go, stress inducing traffic.
Ugh, I have heard that many times. It looks like the 55 to 22 to I-405 is an alternate? (~3 miles longer distance but almost the same time estimate). Not sure if those are any better.

Could also be a reason to convince my wife to let me upgrade my motorcycle, with the lane-splitting laws saving significant time!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-17-2020, 12:52 PM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
I'd rent in Seal Beach, Los Alamitos or the Bixby area of Long Beach, Cypress as a back up. That put's you in lovely communities off the 405. Cooler than inland OC too.

Old 12-17-2020, 12:57 PM

To expand on the idea of weather. So Cal is pretty unique in that the beach can be 80°, Anaheim Hills 86° and Riverside 96° all at the same time on the same day. Do explore these differences too.

Old 12-17-2020, 01:13 PM

Quote:
I'd rent in Seal Beach, Los Alamitos or the Bixby area of Long Beach, Cypress as a back up. That put's you in lovely communities off the 405. Cooler than inland OC too.
Found a nice rental in Seal & then another Huntington Harbour area which seems nice!

Quote:
To expand on the idea of weather. So Cal is pretty unique in that the beach can be 80°, Anaheim Hills 86° and Riverside 96° all at the same time on the same day. Do explore these differences too.
Oh yes, for sure. I've heard even as close as Irvine has a bit different climate than Huntington Beach!

Old 12-17-2020, 03:31 PM

3,833 posts, read 4,231,130 times
Having lived in Carson imo there's really nothing like what you're looking for within an hour commute of Carson. It's all in South County or maybe the SG Valley, and neither are within an hour commute during normal times. It's almost like you need to choose whether the housing/neighborhood/school characteristics are more important or the commute time.

If it's the area, then just be prepared for long commutes that are occasionally horrendous. Lots and lots of people do it. If its the shorter commute time that wins out, then you can find very nice neighborhoods in the South Bay or even Long Beach. You just won't get as much for your money. Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley are farther, but worth it for many. You'll get more for your money than in the South Bay and it's less crowded.

Old 12-17-2020, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Easy View Post
Having lived in Carson imo there's really nothing like what you're looking for within an hour commute of Carson. It's all in South County or maybe the SG Valley, and neither are within an hour commute during normal times. It's almost like you need to choose whether the housing/neighborhood/school characteristics are more important or the commute time.

If it's the area, then just be prepared for long commutes that are occasionally horrendous. Lots and lots of people do it. If its the shorter commute time that wins out, then you can find very nice neighborhoods in the South Bay or even Long Beach. You just won't get as much for your money. Huntington Beach/Fountain Valley are farther, but worth it for many. You'll get more for your money than in the South Bay and it's less crowded.
Thanks, this is exactly the conflict. I see the HOUSE we want in Yorba Linda / Anaheim Hills, and even out to Lake Forest, but I need to prepare for an hour commute. I have experienced a 1-2 hr commute in the past living 56 miles north of ATL, each way, and made it work for 2 yrs.

On the other hand, I've found smaller options with less house amenities (big yard, big SQ ft, big garage) but only a 20-30 min commute, and close to the beach (Seal Beach).

It'll come down to driving both areas, visiting both areas, and likely short-term rental to see if it works before pulling the trigger on paying $1M for something.

Still can't even believe I am saying that number out loud like it's normal. Welcome to OC i guess :-)

Old 12-17-2020, 04:28 PM

10,062 posts, read 6,171,164 times
Your kids are young enough to be happy with a small yard right now. But the weather is so nice here, they will want to be outside a lot, so why not see if you can find a house close to a park. Our house has a very small yard, and when our three kids were little, they played in the back yard, front yard (it's a quiet residential neighborhood) or I took them across to the community park and pool which are right across the street. Our house is very small, too, but I rarely felt it was too small because we were outside so much of the time.

Old 12-17-2020, 05:51 PM

Quote:
Having lived in Carson imo there's really nothing like what you're looking for within an hour commute of Carson.
I disagree completely. OP, I'd rent the house in Seal Beach for a year and find out for yourself.

Quote:
then you can find very nice neighborhoods in the South Bay or even Long Beach. You just won't get as much for your money.
Life is a series of trade-offs. I'd rather live in a smaller house in a great area, than a huge house in a area I don't like as much.

Old 12-17-2020, 06:39 PM

3,833 posts, read 4,231,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
Your kids are young enough to be happy with a small yard right now. But the weather is so nice here, they will want to be outside a lot, so why not see if you can find a house close to a park. Our house has a very small yard, and when our three kids were little, they played in the back yard, front yard (it's a quiet residential neighborhood) or I took them across to the community park and pool which are right across the street. Our house is very small, too, but I rarely felt it was too small because we were outside so much of the time.
Yeah, personally I think that a park nearby is better than a large yard. Luckily that's pretty normal in most of LA and OC.

Old 12-17-2020, 11:08 PM
DKM

5,492 posts, read 1,987,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smbartl5 View Post
Thanks, this is exactly the conflict. I see the HOUSE we want in Yorba Linda / Anaheim Hills, and even out to Lake Forest, but I need to prepare for an hour commute. I have experienced a 1-2 hr commute in the past living 56 miles north of ATL, each way, and made it work for 2 yrs.

On the other hand, I've found smaller options with less house amenities (big yard, big SQ ft, big garage) but only a 20-30 min commute, and close to the beach (Seal Beach).

It'll come down to driving both areas, visiting both areas, and likely short-term rental to see if it works before pulling the trigger on paying $1M for something.

Still can't even believe I am saying that number out loud like it's normal. Welcome to OC i guess :-)
Do you see yourself or your children enjoying the beach? Some people love it, some never go. If you are beach people, living in a place like Seal Beach will be very rewarding. Its beach weather most of the year. We go to the beach often (20 minutes away) and it seems to be never enough.

You'll use the extra time no commuting by exploring the area. This area is absolutely huge and there is so much to see. Lake Forest isn't going to be worth commuting from trust me.

$1 million doesn't even get you much anymore.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County