U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-25-2020, 11:45 PM

2 posts, read 2,002 times

Advertisements

Hello,

I am moving to OC and am completely lost on where to live. I am a single, 42 year old artist, and have 1.5 to 2mil to spend on a home. I would like to get something 15-20 min drive max to work- (work is in Irvine, near spectrum center).

Ideally, I would like to buy home ideally 3k sq. ft. that doesn't have neighbors squeezed up next to the property. I don't care for the beaches but instead prefer the mountains and like to hike. Being single, I would like some place that has a bit of culture, at least within a long walking distance.

Anyway not sure if this magical place exists in OC, but wondering if you all have any suggestions?

Thank you so much in advance!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2020, 11:57 PM

151 posts, read 54,726 times
Orchard Hills. It is recommended to learn Mandarin.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:04 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
No. The place you want does not exist in Orange County IMHO.

Finding a 3k sq ft home for $2M that doesn't have neighbors squeezed up next to the property, and has a bit of culture, at least within a long walking distance just doesn't exist in OC. Here's the low down on a few.

Laguna Beach is an amazing city, very into the arts and lots of culture within walking distance of many homes. BUT, you won't find a 3k sq ft home for $2M, more like 1,500 and most likely a tight neighbor. It would still be where I'd look first.

Orchard Hills as recommended above will be in budget, but you are tight to neighbors and no walkable anything really, let alone culture.

Other Irvine neighborhoods like University Park will come closer with walkable culture, but smaller homes than you want. Turtle Rock will have bigger homes, walkable to culture, but again, almost anyplace in OC that is going to be walkable means a neighbor right next to you. It is the only way it works.

Foothill Ranch and Baker Ranch will have the home size you want, but not the walkability or space from neighbors. Ditto for Laguna Niguel. Walkability and spacing from neighbors will be the challenge in the nicer, newer neighborhoods.

Old 12-26-2020, 01:19 AM

70 posts, read 46,244 times
Not sure how you are expecting to get both walkability as well as being near mountains and hiking trails.

But I would look for horse property in Orange Park acres based on what you're describing.

You could get something like this

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Santa-Ana/...m_content=link

Old 12-26-2020, 11:53 PM

2 posts, read 2,002 times
Wow thank you all for your thoughtful replies! This helps a Ton! I hadn't considered these areas- Tim, I am curious, is it possible to get elbow room, walkability, and 3K sq ft. if I spend more money? If so, how much is required for this type of residence and in what location?

Lastly, of the options listed previously, which are the best options In your opinion that have 2 out of the 3 variables? (walkability, space from neighbors, 3k sq ft.)

Thank you all again in advance for your time, and happy holidays!

Old 12-27-2020, 01:49 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,780,036 times
I'd say walkability and space from neighbors is never going to be a good combo, but it depends on how much space you are talking about between homes. Here is a Street View in Baker Ranch. Here is a Street View in University Park.

Being close is just what it is in Orange County. Land is expensive so developers maximize the number of homes. I have friends who live in $10 million homes and can hear the neighbor's toilet flush if they have the windows open in certain rooms.

I don't quite understand the want for 3k sq ft home as a single 42 year old. Your business of course, but wanting a house that size puts you in less desirable houses (not bad, but further inland) or way outside your price range.

Because South Orange County is relatively new, it is planned and planned to be different from the E-W-N-S grid patterns of older cities like Santa Ana, Anaheim, Old Newport. They deliberately planned the housing areas away from the shopping areas. You can see that in city after city in South County.

Old 12-27-2020, 02:53 PM

56 posts, read 39,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_newbie View Post
Hello,

I am moving to OC and am completely lost on where to live. I am a single, 42 year old artist, and have 1.5 to 2mil to spend on a home. I would like to get something 15-20 min drive max to work- (work is in Irvine, near spectrum center).

Ideally, I would like to buy home ideally 3k sq. ft. that doesn't have neighbors squeezed up next to the property. I don't care for the beaches but instead prefer the mountains and like to hike. Being single, I would like some place that has a bit of culture, at least within a long walking distance.

Anyway not sure if this magical place exists in OC, but wondering if you all have any suggestions?

I know the perfect place for you that has everything that you want. It's not in Orange County. It's actually the Oakland Hills section of Oakland. It's like living in a national forest. Lot's of Redwoods, tons of hiking trails, space between homes. If you live near Montclair Village, you'll have plenty of restaurants, upscale shopping and art galleries, plus Shepherd Canyon for hiking. Further down in the Oakland Hills is Roberts Park and Joaquin Miller Park with tons of trails. Living in the Oakland Hills, you feel like you're up in a mountain resort somewhere, but just a few minutes away, you are in the middle of a big city.

It's not Orange County, but it has everything you want and you still get the California weather. Maybe you can find work in Oakland?

Old 12-29-2020, 12:36 AM

405 posts, read 148,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oc_newbie View Post
Hello,

As a future transplant myself from New York and about your age, my suggestion is just stay right in Irvine. I spent a week there scouting OC last Summer and used it as my hub. Great area to chill and live but close to Newport/Huntington Beaches...the latter definitely full of culture and action, and the mountains to the East if that's your thang. What I liked about Irivine the most is if you need some urban filth it's just an hour or so from LA, which for me was comparable to living in a NYC suburb.

Just an outsider's opinion.

Old 01-03-2021, 09:21 PM

37 posts, read 43,078 times
Nelli Gail

Old 01-03-2021, 10:21 PM

347 posts, read 156,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juliette View Post
Nelli Gail
What's so great about Nelli Gail?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County