U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-26-2020, 11:02 PM

1 posts, read 1,476 times

Advertisements

Hi guys,

I am planning to move to the OC. I am a first time home buyer looking at finding a place for ~900k. I'm leaning towards buying new at the moment because there is not many inventory for homes around the price range I have. It seems like the ones that are available will require me to pay 700k+ and I would still have to do some remodeling to make it look a bit more modern. Its definitely a task finding something more modern that doesn't have crazy mello roos involved in Irvine. I feel like Tustin may be do-able but I also want to have a decent school district. Question for you guys is the following:

1. Is buying new in lake forest a good idea? I'm intrigued by this because there isn't mello roos. I'm specifically talking about the Serrano Summit homes
2. How is the rental and resale market in Lake Forest and Tustin?
3. Do you guys feel its better to buy in Irvine instead of Lake Forest if I plan to stay in the home for 5-10 years? I've been told many times owning a home in Irvine will have no issues with rental or resale.
4. I see some new homes for a cheaper price new John Wayne Airport and it seems like its due to the poor school district there. Would you say that reselling/renting would be difficult in that area?

Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-27-2020, 01:28 AM

3,041 posts, read 1,782,728 times
I would never worry about resale value. I'd pick a home I liked in an area that feels comfortable.

Lake Forest is a huge city, stretching from the 5 freeway up into the hills. It depends on which area, but all of Lake Forest is pretty nice.

I assume you meant "near" John Wayne and it depends on the city. I would not put my kids in Santa Ana Unified, they'd be in private school. Newport Mesa and Irvine schools are all pretty good. There are only a couple of NMUSD schools I'd have concerns over.

Old 01-08-2021, 09:26 AM

148 posts, read 41,282 times
Would you consider renting for a year to get a feel for things?

Old 01-25-2021, 03:25 PM

7 posts, read 1,581 times
The resale and rental market in OC is great. Irvine is a highly desirable area, great schools, communities, and very convenient to shops, and restaurants. You mentioned near the John Wayne airport - it' less expensive, but schools aren't the greatest.

Old 01-27-2021, 01:42 AM

1,014 posts, read 846,497 times
What about Aliso Viejo?

Old 01-30-2021, 02:16 PM

2 posts, read 560 times
Default a vote on Aliso Viejo

I am in a similar situation and considering Aliso Viejo. AV seems more attractive to me because it it near the sea instead of being in the mountains, which raised a bit concern of wild fires.

Old 01-30-2021, 04:24 PM

10,082 posts, read 6,182,822 times
There are wilderness areas around Aliso Viejo too. A couple of years ago, our friends who live there had to evacuate because of a fire in the Aliso & Wood Canyon park.

Most South County cities have areas that are near hills/brush/wilderness and other areas that are not. Pick your location carefully and you can live almost anywhere with little risk.

Old Today, 05:36 PM

7 posts, read 1,581 times
Aliso Viejo is very nice. I have listed and sold homes there and its very close to Laguna Niguel. Its conveniently located and had great restaurants and shopping nearby. Very close to the beach!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County