U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-31-2020, 08:18 PM

10 posts, read 5,868 times

Advertisements

I tried finding threads of people with experience here with little luck for our area.

Has anyone here had experience selling through Redfin vs a traditional agent? I live in the Rancho Mission Viejo area with homes flying due to very low inventory and recent popularity in the area. Very simlar to most of Orange county. I don't see the value in paying the additional 1.5-2% when the buyer will likely find the home on their own and use the realtor to process the sale.

Any thoughts?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2020, 11:10 PM

2,540 posts, read 833,779 times
Often, the realtor agent/broker can bring "extra dollars" to the seller, that a cookie cutter real estate service might miss.

Let's face it, an RE agent, familiar with your area, will work to get top dollar on a property. They will work their "farm."

An RE firm? They do bulk, as fast as possible. They have no "farms" nor local expertise.

Now, there's nothing that says fees are not negotiable, unless it's in a contract. The typical 6% can be $100,000+ for some properties. Even the "common" props can be $100K in fees. It's up to you if you think the RE agent is worth what you're paying them...

Old 01-01-2021, 12:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Often, the realtor agent/broker can bring "extra dollars" to the seller, that a cookie cutter real estate service might miss.

Let's face it, an RE agent, familiar with your area, will work to get top dollar on a property. They will work their "farm."

An RE firm? They do bulk, as fast as possible. They have no "farms" nor local expertise.

Now, there's nothing that says fees are not negotiable, unless it's in a contract. The typical 6% can be $100,000+ for some properties. Even the "common" props can be $100K in fees. It's up to you if you think the RE agent is worth what you're paying them...
Appreciate tour comments. Thank you.

Old 01-14-2021, 12:35 PM

7 posts, read 1,607 times
It sounds like you understand Redfin's model. Stick a sign in the yard in as many yards as possible. I am not a discount Realtor so my advice is of course biased ; ) But the negative is actually in your positive. Houses are getting multiple offers, yes. And homes sell with very little marketing needed, yes. However, who do you want negotiating for you...a discount brokerage who's focused on the next listing or your trusted real estate advisor who's ultimately there for you...to save you money, time & headaches.

I "had" a friend who listed with Redfin (JK...we're still friends) and the above was her complaint. They actually cancelled the listing and decided not to move...their agent left a negative impression on the selling process and they decided to stay put and build a pool. When they do decide to sell...I will be listing it. My favorite comparison...would you hire a top rated accountant to do your taxes or HR Block...who would likely save the most money... same with Real Estate Advisors, if that makes sense.

Old 01-16-2021, 08:03 AM

20,982 posts, read 18,577,053 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigertan888 View Post
I don't see the value in paying the additional 1.5-2% when the buyer will likely find the home on their own and use the realtor to process the sale.
You want a realtor to represent YOU, the seller. I cannot imagine selling a home without a realtor (no, I am not in that industry). When I think of the number of issues that could go wrong in a residential real estate transaction, it's worth every penny of the commission that one pays.

Old 01-17-2021, 04:34 PM

I decided to work with a realtor. Per the above, it is worth the headaches and we can demand a premium to pay for the fees. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-25-2021, 03:05 PM

6 posts, read 1,446 times
Redfin agents are paid hourly and don't really care if their listing gets sold or not, they get paid regardless! They also have an upcharge for certain things a non-redfin agent does as a part of their full service. And not all agents are created equal, its best to interview a few and see who seems to be the best fit for you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County