Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Advice needed, relocation from Midwest to Orange County, California, kids play hockey, husband urgent care doctor, family practice trained, typical salaries, public versus private schools, charter schools, Classical Core knowledge curriculum

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 12:18 PM

635 posts, read 1,748,062 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsidegirl View Post
1. I need some advice. I was born and raised in the midwest and have hated every cold, overcast moment of it! I would love to know from someone who has relocated from the midwest what their thoughts were.

2. We are from the state of hockey, Minnesota. Do kids play hockey in OC?

3. My husband is an Urgent Care Doc, family practice trained. Anybody have an idea about typical salaries. What part of OC would you recommend living in?

4. What do you think of the public schools in OC? I've heard that California public schools are struggling.
1. If you don't want to be cold, Orange County is definently the place you want to be. Winter temps are high 40's to low to mid 60's.

2. Hockey is as popular as lawn bowling for teenagers in Orange County. There are no outdoor and very few indoor skating rinks. How you get a reservation for a rink, I don't know. BUt, they are used for family and friends to ice skate. I've seen one outdoor pavement hockey arena in my 21 years in SoCal.

3.parts of Costa Mesa, Santa Margarita, Newport Beach might be to high, Huntington Beach, Laguna, Trabuco Hills, Tustin, Orange, Brea, Yorba Linda. There's other cities that are mixed that I'm not sure, and have diversity that would feel VERY different from Minnesota. Your probable income gives you many options.

4. All depends on the city and school district.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2008, 05:11 PM

300 posts, read 1,259,363 times
Just for clarification, when I say the schools are crappy- I am actually talking about the quality of education, not the facilities or the safety factor. Many schools are beautiful, very safe, etc. But the quality of education itself is really lacking.

Its VERY watered down. School is VERY easy here. If your kid is not on the honor roll in CA, then they really need help. We do have friends with kids, and family members that have gone through school here (now in HS) and, I myself, was born and raised here and went through school K-12, and college here (undergrad at CSULB which was easy, and graduate at UCLA which was challenging), too. My husband, having gone to good schools in Chicago laughs at the education here. I think that anyone moving from high-quality/challenging school programs to CA are in for a shock. Be prepared to give your kids extra education/harder/more challenging stuff to learn. Sign them up for the honors/AP classes- they are easy. If you want them to learn a more exotic language- we are talking private tutors. Now days, the only options in most HS programs is spanish and french. If you want them to be good at math, do something other than what CA schools provide. CA schools do a really, REALLY bad job at teaching math, especially.

There ARE the token "good" schools. And, most parents will defend their childs public school to their death since their kids go there (or, maybe they teach there)- but by and large, they aren't great. Mediocre, at best.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:36 PM

11 posts, read 44,299 times
Default OC Neighborhoods

Irvine is a great place for families. There are ice hockey leagues that you can join about a 20-30 minute commute (depending on traffic) in Anaheim. The public schools in Irvine are good and the location is ideal in many respects: mountains, beach and airport. Feel free to check out my parenting website and social network at The Mommy Tree Parenting and Preschools.

Old 04-19-2011, 09:29 AM

2 posts, read 1,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by L-88 View Post
I have to disagree with Preppyglam about the quality of schools. She and her husband have no children, and yet she berates the quality of the schools. I taught in a fine Portland, Maine high school for 25 years, and I have subbed in some excellent high schools here in south Orange county. The education, programs, athletic facilities, and teaching staff is as good as anywhere else and in many cases much better. The classes are more crowded here, but our schools more than adequately prepare good students to compete with students from all parts of the country in the best colleges.

The sunny days and the terrific climate do make the days much more pleasant than facing the snow, ice, and the dark long winters of a snow state. The year round access to the outdoors is a definite plus, and the athletic programs available to your children are unequalled anywhere.

Yep...lots of people, lots of traffic, and lots of diversity, but the quality of life, in my opinion, is unsurpassed. We would never leave the area, and putting up with some of the excess of many of the residents is mind over matter.

As to Arizona, Scottsdale and Phoenix are brutally hot during the summer. Flagstaff is a lovely area, but there is snow and ice, and if you think OC is expensive, Sedona is really lovely, but the rich have discovered the place and most of the land has been bought up....Sedona also gets some cold weather and snow, but it is quite beautiful. It's roads are still mostly two-lane, and during the summer months, and during most school vacations tourists fill the area. Tucson has become popular and is rapidly growing...milder summers than Phoenix and cooler winters.

I still favor south Orange County for a young family. The resources available are plentiful and extend throughout the area and the state. For what it's worth winter heating bills and clothing costs go away as do the snow, the ice, the humidity, the bugs, rusty cars, the winter blues, cabin fever, and it never gets dark throughout the winter earlier than 5PM.

Come on out for a vacation. Check out the place...do a little research and experience a week or two.
Well said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County