U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 04:47 PM

2,983 posts, read 6,953,322 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Who said anything about living IN Pasadena? The OP said that his wife grew up there. Scroll back.

I'm well aware of what houses cost there, having grown up right next door to Pasadena, having lived in Pasadena as an adult, and having several family members who currently live there; thanks.

Who said anything about driving from Riverside to Newport Beach or to Lake Arrowhead?

You brought up the " 'hour away from the beaches and mountain' talk is just talk" in reference to the I.E. And finding a place to hike near Riverside does NOT take an hour; there are plenty of hiking trails near Mt. Roubidoux, Box Springs Mountain trails, etc.

I'll pass; thanks.

Ok. Yes, when people say I wanna go up to the mountains people think of Mt. Roubixoux...said no me ever except you.

That’s like saying I wanna go to the ocean and you offer Lake Elsinore. The both have sand and water, same thing right?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 05:27 PM

499 posts, read 309,617 times
Thanks very much for the insight, I had a chance to relocate about 27 years ago when I would have actually been able to afford to live in a single family home in Irvine (We looked there, and in Huntington Beach). We opted not to take the position and as you all know the RE market has outpaced most salaries for even the upper middle class. I'll take a better look at the areas you sent, like you I wasnt impressed with Elsinore and it wasnt close enough to her family to balance out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
I don’t much care for Elsinore myself, and if that’s all you saw, then I can see why you wouldn’t like this area.

Once we leave our part of Murrieta, I pretty much hate to head north, myself, because it’s not at all a pretty drive, except during Super Bloom periods. I will drive to OC or San Diego for the airports, and pay more, before I’ll fly out of Ontario. I just hate that area. No offense intended to anyone. We all have our druthers.

I’ll drive north if I want to do something in OC and then I use FastTrak, or 91 Expressway, or whatever it’s called. Without FastTrak, I would think twice. But I don’t go over there often. I lived there for a while and have great memories, and if I had $2m or $3m to live over there in a neighborhood I like, I’d go. But I don’t.

Temecula and Lake Elsinore are pretty different, to my mind. I’d never have moved here for Elsinore, but we like the newness and cleanliness of Murrieta and Temecula: The amenities, the wine country, Temecula’s Old Town, things like that. And since we no longer work, we have more leeway in getting around.

Mainly, I prefer my part of Murrieta and heading south past Temecula and Fallbrook, and then swinging over on 56 to get to San Diego. That’s a much more pleasant drive. I just don’t go when people are trying to get to work or get home, and OC would be no different.

Either way I can get to OC or San Diego in maybe an hour and 15 minutes, to wherever I want to go in those areas, so I can live here in a nice place and get away to OC or SD or wherever the airplanes will take me, in pretty short order.

And I’m pretty sure you’d like even *our* winters better than those in PA.

I hope you’ll continue to share your relocation journey with us!

Old 02-26-2021, 06:34 PM

21,424 posts, read 18,965,363 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
Yes, when people say I wanna go up to the mountains people think of Mt. Roubixoux...said no me ever except you.
Right...no one, except you, even brought the mountains up to begin with.

Quote:
There's nothing California about the IE. The 'hour away from the beaches and mountain' talk is just talk.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:05 PM

2,983 posts, read 6,953,322 times
Yes, the barely qualified random mountain surely proved your point. The things people in the IE try to defend. Just wow.

Old 02-26-2021, 08:30 PM

21,424 posts, read 18,965,363 times
Quote:
The things people in the IE try to defend. Just wow.
Although some of us don't actually live in the I.E. According to you, we have no right to have an opinion about it.

Old 03-01-2021, 09:52 AM

8,816 posts, read 5,050,493 times
Quite possible.

Old 03-02-2021, 07:40 PM

17 posts, read 10,479 times
Possible with the right expectations.

Old 03-07-2021, 02:45 AM

29 posts, read 20,925 times
I make $135k, and I’m currently in escrow on a SFH in Mission Viejo: $830k, 1200 sq ft. In order to get my offer accepted I had to bid $30k over asking, put 30% down and waive appraisal contingency. This is not unusual in the current OC sellers market; houses are going for anywhere from $20k-100k over asking, and almost every buyer is waiving appraisal contingency if not inspection contingency too. There was a recent upwards price adjustment in Jan/Feb so it’s going to be hard to find a SFH under $800k anytime soon, and if you only have $150k cash to handle downpayment, repairs and possibly appraisal gap, then things are going to be tight. You’ll have much better luck with a condo or a townhome, there are some really nice ones in Aliso Viejo.

Last edited by Anafiel; 03-07-2021 at 02:53 AM..

Old 03-07-2021, 10:13 PM

11,531 posts, read 15,287,247 times
Quote:
Well, if you buy a 800K or so house here (which is the min for a decent OC house) the property tax won’t be cheap. Not sure which part of OC you’re considering but it’s extremely slim picking in S. OC for anything under 850K.

I’m one of the many leaving because of the ridiculous cost of living.
Well if the OP is from NYC as it says in his profile, then he’s no stranger to expensive living.

Old 03-07-2021, 10:26 PM

4,461 posts, read 1,663,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
Is there anywhere safe, and somewhat desirable to live in OC on a family income of $150,000 ? Would prefer a single family home but certain condos may be ok as long as they have atleast a private courtyard (but I always feel the HOA fees eat away at the savings).

My wife is originally from Pasadena, but that was 25 years ago, We live on the east coast and she wants me to look into this as that shes a bit fed up with the weather.

Thank you very much
North OC yes, probably not buy a home. South OC, seems unlikely unless you go the less desirable areas.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County