Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2021, 12:38 PM

3,321 posts, read 7,932,223 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
My point was they don't have to limit their budget to 500. What is your point exactly?

Budget and only 150k down payment for a modest home are oxymorons.

That's my point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2021, 01:42 PM

831 posts, read 675,515 times
I had to look those locations up that were suggested, they were very close to where I was for the wedding last weekend (Lake Elsinore). I agree that if I'm going to be that far out I may as well not move to CA at this point, I had thought Ontario would be a stretch but anywhere further south on 15 just wouldnt make sense for us at this point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub D View Post
You might as well live in a different state over moving to the Inland Empire. There's nothing California about the IE. The 'hour away from the beaches and mountain' talk is just talk. The amount of weekend traffic has exploded from when I lived there from 2008-2016. Every time I drive on the 15, there is at least some weekend traffic now. So more like 2 hours away from the beach unless you take Ortega highway...which you wouldn't want to do at night.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:48 PM

26,595 posts, read 26,486,330 times
Quote:
You might as well live in a different state over moving to the Inland Empire. There's nothing California about the IE. The 'hour away from the beaches and mountain' talk is just talk.
The historic part of Riverside, possibly. If the OP's wife is from Pasadena, she might like that area. And it doesn't take an hour to get to the mountains from Riverside.

Old 02-26-2021, 01:54 PM
DKM

6,767 posts, read 3,793,175 times
Quote:
Budget and only 150k down payment for a modest home are oxymorons.

That's my point.
Not in my world so I guess I don't get it.

Old 02-26-2021, 03:16 PM

356 posts, read 221,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpranger467 View Post
I had to look those locations up that were suggested, they were very close to where I was for the wedding last weekend (Lake Elsinore). I agree that if I'm going to be that far out I may as well not move to CA at this point, I had thought Ontario would be a stretch but anywhere further south on 15 just wouldnt make sense for us at this point
I don’t much care for Elsinore myself, and if that’s all you saw, then I can see why you wouldn’t like this area.

Once we leave our part of Murrieta, I pretty much hate to head north, myself, because it’s not at all a pretty drive, except during Super Bloom periods. I will drive to OC or San Diego for the airports, and pay more, before I’ll fly out of Ontario. I just hate that area. No offense intended to anyone. We all have our druthers.

I’ll drive north if I want to do something in OC and then I use FastTrak, or 91 Expressway, or whatever it’s called. Without FastTrak, I would think twice. But I don’t go over there often. I lived there for a while and have great memories, and if I had $2m or $3m to live over there in a neighborhood I like, I’d go. But I don’t.

Temecula and Lake Elsinore are pretty different, to my mind. I’d never have moved here for Elsinore, but we like the newness and cleanliness of Murrieta and Temecula: The amenities, the wine country, Temecula’s Old Town, things like that. And since we no longer work, we have more leeway in getting around.

Mainly, I prefer my part of Murrieta and heading south past Temecula and Fallbrook, and then swinging over on 56 to get to San Diego. That’s a much more pleasant drive. I just don’t go when people are trying to get to work or get home, and OC would be no different.

Either way I can get to OC or San Diego in maybe an hour and 15 minutes, to wherever I want to go in those areas, so I can live here in a nice place and get away to OC or SD or wherever the airplanes will take me, in pretty short order.

And I’m pretty sure you’d like even *our* winters better than those in PA.

I hope you’ll continue to share your relocation journey with us!
Attached Thumbnails
Is OC possible on 0,000 per year-4dfa0944-19e2-42f6-9f92-ce26c6cd1681.jpeg   Is OC possible on 0,000 per year-ffcf4be5-f1eb-4b49-8c1c-17362022aaf7.jpeg  

Last edited by DanceswithBeagles; 02-26-2021 at 03:32 PM..

Old 02-26-2021, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
The historic part of Riverside, possibly. If the OP's wife is from Pasadena, she might like that area. And it doesn't take an hour to get to the mountains from Riverside.
Any decent house in Pasadena in a million plus, easy. I lived in San Gabriel for a few years and my best friends are from Temple City so I know that area extremely well.

Riverside to Lake Arrowhead is roughly an hour drive. I just checked, 52 minutes.

I also checked Riverside to Newport Beach, the closest beach. One hour and 5 minutes.

So, like I said, roughly an hour to the mountains or beach.

Please let me know if you'd like me to educate you more thoroughly.

Old 02-26-2021, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DKM View Post
Not in my world so I guess I don't get it.

This is why the rest of the country makes fun of California. You know, those memes with a crappy shed going for 500k in LA.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:23 PM

2,208 posts, read 1,749,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanceswithBeagles View Post
I don’t think this is a crappy shed at $450k.

https://www.redfin.com/CA/Temecula/3...1/home/6327356
It is not in LA

Old 02-26-2021, 05:34 PM

26,595 posts, read 26,486,330 times
Quote:
Any decent house in Pasadena in a million plus, easy.
Who said anything about living IN Pasadena? The OP said that his wife grew up there. Scroll back.

Quote:
I lived in San Gabriel for a few years and my best friends are from Temple City so I know that area extremely well.
I'm well aware of what houses cost there, having grown up right next door to Pasadena, having lived in Pasadena as an adult, and having several family members who currently live there; thanks.

Quote:
Riverside to Lake Arrowhead is roughly an hour drive. I just checked, 52 minutes. I also checked Riverside to Newport Beach, the closest beach. One hour and 5 minutes.
Who said anything about driving from Riverside to Newport Beach or to Lake Arrowhead?

You brought up the " 'hour away from the beaches and mountain' talk is just talk" in reference to the I.E. And finding a place to hike near Riverside does NOT take an hour; there are plenty of hiking trails near Mt. Roubidoux, Box Springs Mountain trails, etc.

Quote:
Please let me know if you'd like me to educate you more thoroughly.
I'll pass; thanks.

Old 02-26-2021, 05:44 PM

356 posts, read 221,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
It is not in LA
You’re right. I locked onto the “laughing at California” part of what you said rather than the location of the $500k shack, so I deleted my post.

People on this board have said it many times: LA is not all there is to California, and there are places outside that city that may work for their budget.

Happy hunting!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County