Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2021, 11:49 AM

12,766 posts, read 18,371,815 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by saibot View Post
We don't, and to be honest, if you feel so strongly about it, this may not be the place for you.

After living in California my whole life, cold snowy winters and hot, muggy summers would be a dealbreaker for me, so I get it.
On the contrary, this is my jam, lol.

Hubby wants CA more than I do. I'm a NY native. He's a CA native. There ya go, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2021, 12:36 PM

3,416 posts, read 2,454,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawg8181 View Post
Yes family is from El Cajon. I know a few areas in San Diego just b/c there are some family there. I am unfamiliar with OC. I was in SD in July. It was looking quite brown. Haven't been to CA in any other time of year but where I live, it's always green ... lawns anyway, not so much trees. A lot of CA properties that I see don't have grass? Is that a thing? Fall here is the best with leaves changing color. That is a big draw for me. I know you guys have Julian. I don't want to have to drive to the changing colors, lol. I want them to come to me. I love walking out my door and the trees across the street are changing, but yeah.

I'm a huge 4 seasons nerd. I have to mentally prepare myself if we do this move. It doesn't seem like you guys have such distinct seasons as here.
Well I’ve never seen a green lawn in NY during the winter, but if you say so more power to you. I’m racking my brain about not only trips to NY and NE during the winter in recent years, but also my college days in Michigan and I can’t recall any? Maybe some slightly less brown patches??

You’ll be SOL if you want fall colors out here like NY all around you, but you’ll find in a lot of older neighborhoods a good amount of mature deciduous trees mixed in. When you turn down my street there’s a bunch of old growth sycamores, oak, and maple trees that give you fall color in winter. (Trees turn later here). Seriously though, if you look past the palm trees and mountains in the distance you’d think you turned down my grandparent’s street in Michigan with all the color. Regardless, it’s a nice trade off to having a 12 month grow season. I just picked about 20 passion fruits that I’ll be sending to my wife’s grandparents in upstate NY later this afternoon.

And yes driving to four seasons isn’t the same as living in them, but it sure is a nice option for those who like/miss them. What I do know is there was a place in the northeast where people could drive to in an hour during the winter with perfect weather it would be overrun. You can have it all here.

Old 04-07-2021, 07:27 PM

4,477 posts, read 3,299,218 times
Quote:
Haven't been to CA in any other time of year but where I live, it's always green ... lawns anyway, not so much trees.
Green areas get lots of rain. Lots of rain mean lots of bugs, especially mosquitos. A place like Binghamton NY get 40" a year and it rains 150 days a year. Anaheim CA gets 13" and it rains 34 days a year.

Quote:
I'm a huge 4 seasons nerd. I have to mentally prepare myself if we do this move. It doesn't seem like you guys have such distinct seasons as here.
If you want four seasons, live in the mountains like Big Bear, Angeles Crest, Lake Arrowhead, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County