Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2008, 11:07 PM

8 posts, read 31,852 times

Advertisements

How would the commute be going from Redondo Beach to Newport Beach daily? I will be working in Laurel Canyon and my wife will be working in Newport Beach. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2008, 11:22 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
You'll seriously consider slitting your wrist within 6 months of beginning such a commute. Laurel Canyon and Newport Beach are FAAAAARRRR apart. It might be doable if they were separated by 60 miles of open highway, but they're not.

Old 05-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Default someone besides escapecalifornia

anyone have anything more productive to say than this idiot?

Old 05-09-2008, 11:30 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d1p23nz View Post
anyone have anything more productive to say than this idiot?
OK, fine. Go stick yourself on the freeway 3+ hours day. Don't say no one tried to tell you it was a bad idea. You're setting yourself up for a long and miserable commute but I'm the idiot. Uh, OK.

Old 05-09-2008, 03:07 PM

None of your responses on these posts are productive. You can say that people are going to hate the commute, but that is a known issue already. People here are asking for advice and trying to start a discussion about best routes and places to live for people. No one on here thinks they will have zero cummuting issues in Southern California, just asking for advice. My wife is transferring another job in the Newport Beach Area. I am going to be working in Laurel Canyon. I am asking here if anyone can tell me the best halfway point between the two. Does any other couple deal with the same type of routes? We understand we will go batty in the commute, but we are going to have to deal with that. If anyone has good advice, please respond.

Thanks!

Old 05-09-2008, 03:27 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,321 times
Quote:
None of your responses on these posts are productive. You can say that people are going to hate the commute, but that is a known issue already. People here are asking for advice and trying to start a discussion about best routes and places to live for people. No one on here thinks they will have zero cummuting issues in Southern California, just asking for advice. My wife is transferring another job in the Newport Beach Area. I am going to be working in Laurel Canyon. I am asking here if anyone can tell me the best halfway point between the two. Does any other couple deal with the same type of routes? We understand we will go batty in the commute, but we are going to have to deal with that. If anyone has good advice, please respond.

Thanks!
RB is probably about halfway. You may want to consider something with better freeway access though. Coastal / south redondo is kind of far from the freeway and every bit will count with that drive.

Old 05-09-2008, 05:33 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,197,011 times
your probably better off living more inland, like fullerton, cerritos, cypress, or somewhere thereabouts. no need to be an *sshole though. escape didn't call you any names, why the need to call him an idiot?

anyways, no matter where in the middle you live, the minimum trip for each of you will be atleast an hour each way. my wife used to work in costa mesa and live in belmont shore and that commute was 45 minutes to an hour each way. redondo to newport will be probably be close to double that. redondo to laurel canyon will be an easy hour commute each way. the inland areas will probably better serve those commutes.

Old 05-10-2008, 03:52 AM

6 posts, read 27,172 times
Quote:

Thanks!
His responses were to the point... I have no idea where you got lost. It's a really bad commute.

Old 05-12-2008, 09:23 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
How would the commute be going from Redondo Beach to Newport Beach daily? I will be working in Laurel Canyon and my wife will be working in Newport Beach. Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks!
for reference, from the 605 to harbor blvd(which is right before newport beach) you're looking at 30min at least in the summer and probably 45 min at least during the rest of the year. from RB to the 605 i'm not sure, but driving through long beach will be slow moving.

going back, traffic is very slow until you pass euclid because of lane merging and reduction and its slow moving but steady for the most part until you get into long beach.

so i would say an hour to two hours depending on what its like from redondo to the 605

Old 05-12-2008, 11:34 AM

Default sorry...and THANKS

it was to the point that the commute would be bad, but there was no advice. all of the postings made by that individual say the same thing (commute is bad), but offer no solutions or suggestions. we all know the commute is bad! sorry for calling anyone an idiot. hiding behind anonymity gives way to bad behavior online, so i sincerely apologize. it was not cool on a good site like this. really sorry about that, escapecalifornia..

i think the from the suggestions i got here, it sounds like the best thing to do is try and stay more inland and as close to a freeway as possible. like i mentioned earlier, i am more concerned with my wife being happy in the commute, so it looks like somewhere in the Santa Ana region would be the best place to live.

new question - is Santa Ana a decent place to live?

thanks for all the great responses!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County