Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2008, 09:44 PM

142 posts, read 472,340 times

Advertisements

Can anyone tell me about SJC? Specifically the areas near the mission? I've seen quite a few lower priced condos (small but with some work they'd be nice) but I'm wondering about the neighborhood. Safe? Walkable town? If you live there or know about it please respond. Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 10:13 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,457,518 times
I do not live in San Juan Capistrano, I live in northern neighbor Mission Viejo but know SJC well. SJC is a small community (30,000 residents) with a rural heart in the middle of South Orange County. The community has a historic and walkable downtown area surrounding Mission San Juan, definitely one of the most beautiful of CA's missions. The shops tend to cater to tourists (souvenir shops, historic artifacts, antiques) and then there are some nice restaurants. Just outside of the historic area are some shopping centers where the locals shop that have everyday stores like groceries, hardware, nail salons, haircuts, etc... The outer areas of the city are fairly rural and there are many equestrian properties and multi million dollar estates. There are horses crossing streets and going between riding trails that criss cross the city all the time. In many ways, there is a small town feel to SJC and if you never left its borders you would think you were in small town California.

The apartments near the mission generally are not recommendable. The absolute worst is the neighborhood known as "La Zanja" bound by Camino Capistrano on the east and Avenida de la Vida on the west. I would not walk around at night in that neighborhood specifically due to a gang presence and possible hostility. The communities around the mission are relatively poor, immigrant families that are primarily Hispanic. It is not like Santa Ana, but most of the people in the neighborhood speak Spanish to each other and you might stick out a little bit if you don't speak Spanish. Also, many of the units are overcrowded, with two families of five living in a two bedroom. Most of the people are extremely friendly and polite, and on Sunday's you will see many of your neighbor's put on their Sunday best and walk to the mission church. It sort of reminds me of small-town America and is charming. Sadly a few people, generally youths, have gotten involved in gang activity doing things like break car windows, put graffiti all over, and get into fights with rivals. Do know this is not like Compton with people driving around shooting ten people a week, murders are few and far between. Basically, there is a reason that the condos are cheaper, it is not a very desirable area for living. If you really are interested in the unit, I 100% recommend you spend some time there first.

Old 05-17-2008, 10:24 PM

Default Thank you

I just posted to another one of yours, asking about Zanja! Thanks for the info, I had a feeling it was a little too good to be true. Although I do speak Spanish (actually Portuguese) my boyfriend doesn't. I think we'll keep looking, maybe San Clemente...

Old 05-18-2008, 12:17 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,714,097 times
How about Huntington Beach. They have dirt cheap rentals there for beach-close areas and you will get something better than San Juan.

Old 05-18-2008, 04:19 PM

Default Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
How about Huntington Beach. They have dirt cheap rentals there for beach-close areas and you will get something better than San Juan.
Thank you, I will look there as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County