Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2009, 07:15 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,033 times

Advertisements

I'm originally from New Jersey and Perdue Chicken breasts are by far the most popular brand out there. They come in so many varieties and also they have frozen 10 lb. bags that are each individually sealed! It's so convenient, because you can take them out and defrost them in their own pouch inside your refrigerator and they're great for both families or a single person.

I cannot find them anywhere in California! I called Costco and they told me 'its a regional thing.' I called Perdue and they told me they don't market west of the Mississipi lol wtf! So I am left with Tyson, Foster Farms, or store-brand chicken which I haven't liked any of these that I've tried. Worst so far is Stater Brothers brands of chicken- disgusting.

Does anyone know where I can get Perdue Farms chicken out here? PERDUE® Chicken Recipes, Turkey Recipes, Tips and More

They are usually 2 or 3 dollars a pound! I cannot understand how every grocery store I go to in Orange County has chicken breasts for 4/5/6 dollars a pound! It's outrageous!!! IF there truly is no place that sells Perdue here, does anyone know where to find fresh OR frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 1-3 dollars a pounds that taste good? And not the ones seasoned and loaded with sodium and all those extras, I want just the lean ones that have ZERO FAT! I love to shop at Albertson's but can't seem to find any tasty chicken breasts that aren't over $3-4 a pound.

thanks for your suggestions/comments/input!

Last edited by dakicka; 03-28-2009 at 07:31 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2009, 09:08 PM

1,319 posts, read 4,241,506 times
Everyone knows that California breasts are bigger. You get what you pay for.

Old 03-28-2009, 10:14 PM

124 posts, read 470,323 times
If Perdue itself says it doesn't market west of the Mississippi, then you're out of luck. And Costco is right, like dairy, chicken is regional because the main producers mostly sell fresh, non-frozen chicken which doesn't travel well.

I don't what to tell you about which brand to try, honestly I don't find all that much difference between one brand and another. Then again, I don't get those frozen ones. I don't where you were shopping, but I never saw any that were regularly $1-3.00 a pound even on the east coast. If you were lucky you could find chicken breasts for $1 a pound as a loss leader once in awhile, but I haven't seen anything that low in long time (on either coast)

Old 03-28-2009, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hobgoblin View Post
If Perdue itself says it doesn't market west of the Mississippi, then you're out of luck. And Costco is right, like dairy, chicken is regional because the main producers mostly sell fresh, non-frozen chicken which doesn't travel well.

I don't what to tell you about which brand to try, honestly I don't find all that much difference between one brand and another. Then again, I don't get those frozen ones. I don't where you were shopping, but I never saw any that were regularly $1-3.00 a pound even on the east coast. If you were lucky you could find chicken breasts for $1 a pound as a loss leader once in awhile, but I haven't seen anything that low in long time (on either coast)
the perdue chicken breasts are currently $1.99 in new jersey. i went shopping again today at ralphs and albertsons and everything was 4.99/5.99/6.99 for fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts. that is ABSURD. what a ridiculous markup. how could it be over double the cost than in new jersey? california, ny, and nj are the 3 highest priced states for just about everything, including groceries. makes no sense to me how they can mark up chicken so high in cali...

if anyone has any brands they like and haven't had issues with them i.e. (rubbery after cooking, expire quickly, smell funny, overly slimey, additives like sodium/water, etc.) please let me know so i can try them out!

Thanks a lot.

Old 03-29-2009, 02:54 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Which would you prefer... the price of chicken breasts in OC or your winter heating bill in Jersey?

Old 03-29-2009, 02:58 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,431 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
I'm originally from New Jersey and Perdue Chicken breasts are by far the most popular brand out there. They come in so many varieties and also they have frozen 10 lb. bags that are each individually sealed! It's so convenient, because you can take them out and defrost them in their own pouch inside your refrigerator and they're great for both families or a single person.

I cannot find them anywhere in California! I called Costco and they told me 'its a regional thing.' I called Perdue and they told me they don't market west of the Mississipi lol wtf! So I am left with Tyson, Foster Farms, or store-brand chicken which I haven't liked any of these that I've tried. Worst so far is Stater Brothers brands of chicken- disgusting.

Does anyone know where I can get Perdue Farms chicken out here? PERDUE® Chicken Recipes, Turkey Recipes, Tips and More

They are usually 2 or 3 dollars a pound! I cannot understand how every grocery store I go to in Orange County has chicken breasts for 4/5/6 dollars a pound! It's outrageous!!! IF there truly is no place that sells Perdue here, does anyone know where to find fresh OR frozen boneless, skinless chicken breasts for 1-3 dollars a pounds that taste good? And not the ones seasoned and loaded with sodium and all those extras, I want just the lean ones that have ZERO FAT! I love to shop at Albertson's but can't seem to find any tasty chicken breasts that aren't over $3-4 a pound.

thanks for your suggestions/comments/input!
HAHA ... get a life!

Old 03-29-2009, 03:41 PM

1,310 posts, read 4,137,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
Which would you prefer... the price of chicken breasts in OC or your winter heating bill in Jersey?
Or overpriced produce that turns crappy by the time it is shipped from CA to the east coast. To all my CA peeps, you don't realize how nice the quality and cheap the produce section is there until you go to the midwest or even worse the east coast.

Old 03-29-2009, 05:32 PM

ok no thanks to some of the reply posters in this thread, after dilligent research this weekend lol, I found a very good tasting brand FRESH chicken breasts for only $1.99/lb. sold at certain grocery stores in Southern California. Since the few people replying to my OP tried to be funny and rip on me for the post, I won't bother sharing where to find the deal. If you too buy a lot of chicken and are trying to find a good deal on chicken that taste good, feel free to PM me and I'll pass on the info to you. Take care.

Old 03-29-2009, 11:12 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
I won't bother sharing where to find the deal.
I will: Ralphs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County