Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 06-25-2009, 02:06 PM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Reputation: 39453

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
Hmmm... I left OC in 2001 and didn't even live there until 1984, so I couldn't be talking about Santa Ana in the 80's because I wasn't there. I actually had to go into Santa Ana for business (downtown) on a regular basis and I honestly do not remember anything good about the town. Maybe around the boundaries of some other cities but I didn't see anything great anywhere... Sorry I offended you but must of missed the things that you are talking about. Or perhaps the city has had a make-over in the last several years since I left???

The reputation is from the 1980s. Santa Ana cannot shake the repuatation despite the fact taht it has improved. People in other OC cities perpetuate the past reputation becaue they do nto know better, and in some cases because of prejudice. Thus, people who do not know Santa Ana and only drive through it once or twice, base their knowlege on statements from other people who have rarely or never been there and know nothing about it. Those people in turn, heard it from others. It goes back to the 1980s.

Ask people from OC who do not know the City today what it is like, and they will tell you about things from the 1980s. Even if they moved to OC a year ago, they will relate the reputation and news events from that time. Ask the same people when it was that Santa Ana was rated by the FBI as the safest city in Amercia according to US News & World Report, and they will laugh at you. (Answer: It was either 1995, 1996 or 1997, I think it was 1996, it may have been multiple years, I do not recall.). Ask them whether Santa Ana has any high schools in the top 5 for Orange county and they will laugh again. Tell them that the only location in Oragne County to make Foders ten must see places in California is in Santa Ana and they will laugh again (Bowers Museum). Take them on a drive or walk through Floral Park and they will gasp and say "I did not know that Orange County had anythig like this"

It does nto matter whether you lived in OC in the 1980s. the unsakeable reputation is based on what it was like then. The current status of Santa Ana while certinaly not perfect, is much much better. It is a nice place to live in parts. However people who do not know and who do now the repuration from the 1980s will say all kinds of crazy things. And if you call them on it, many of them will suddenly realte a story about somethign that happened to theri brother's wife's friend (which will be comepltely untrue). I have encountered it thousands of times. People from the nicer OC subrubs are completely confident that they know all abotu Santa Ana even thoguh they have never really spent any time there. There have heard so many sotires and rumours that they believe to be true, that you could probably not cinvince them otherwise if you tied them to a chair in Floral park and made them spend the night outside. (Something that I woudl love to do with osme of these people.) It is frustrating and aggravating when people make statements based on rumour and conjecture rather than on facts and knowlege.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 06-25-2009, 06:58 PM
 
Location: RSM
5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Reputation: 1927
Quote:
Ask them whether Santa Ana has any high schools in the top 5 for Orange county and they will laugh again.
Well, OCHSA originally moved out of the Los Al District because of various problems(size one of them) and isn't a traditional public school. And Mater Dei costs a LOT of money. There are a few good traditional public high schools in SA, but none spectacular and plenty that rate poorly. Then again, whether OCHSA and Mater Dei rank in the top 5 is debatable because there at probably 10-15 high schools in the county that could be in the top 5. The only one that can for sure be said academically is Oxford, and that's not a traditional high school nor does it have the athletic programs many of the top schools in the county have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 12:05 AM
 
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Reputation: 575
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The reputation is from the 1980s. Santa Ana cannot shake the repuatation despite the fact taht it has improved. People in other OC cities perpetuate the past reputation becaue they do nto know better, and in some cases because of prejudice. Thus, people who do not know Santa Ana and only drive through it once or twice, base their knowlege on statements from other people who have rarely or never been there and know nothing about it. Those people in turn, heard it from others. It goes back to the 1980s.

Ask people from OC who do not know the City today what it is like, and they will tell you about things from the 1980s. Even if they moved to OC a year ago, they will relate the reputation and news events from that time. Ask the same people when it was that Santa Ana was rated by the FBI as the safest city in Amercia according to US News & World Report, and they will laugh at you. (Answer: It was either 1995, 1996 or 1997, I think it was 1996, it may have been multiple years, I do not recall.). Ask them whether Santa Ana has any high schools in the top 5 for Orange county and they will laugh again. Tell them that the only location in Oragne County to make Foders ten must see places in California is in Santa Ana and they will laugh again (Bowers Museum). Take them on a drive or walk through Floral Park and they will gasp and say "I did not know that Orange County had anythig like this"

It does nto matter whether you lived in OC in the 1980s. the unsakeable reputation is based on what it was like then. The current status of Santa Ana while certinaly not perfect, is much much better. It is a nice place to live in parts. However people who do not know and who do now the repuration from the 1980s will say all kinds of crazy things. And if you call them on it, many of them will suddenly realte a story about somethign that happened to theri brother's wife's friend (which will be comepltely untrue). I have encountered it thousands of times. People from the nicer OC subrubs are completely confident that they know all abotu Santa Ana even thoguh they have never really spent any time there. There have heard so many sotires and rumours that they believe to be true, that you could probably not cinvince them otherwise if you tied them to a chair in Floral park and made them spend the night outside. (Something that I woudl love to do with osme of these people.) It is frustrating and aggravating when people make statements based on rumour and conjecture rather than on facts and knowlege.
If you are telling me that I NEVER spent any time in SA then you are wrong because I did. I have a relative that works for the Santa Ana Police department. Hmmm.. I bet they never spend time there or hear of anything. You know it sounds like you really like the city and that is great. I don't like it at all and nobody can talk me in to anything different. Maybe it has "A" beautiful park (so what) or some great neighborhoods here and there but as soon as you get in a car and drive a couple blocks away from those areas you get bad neighborhoods and problems. To me, that is not the way I want to live.. It is scarey, especially at night. I would NEVER tell someone to move there or anywhere in OC for that matter... unless they had money to live on the beach and not have to venture too far away from their home. I have now experienced living in two other states and I would NEVER go back to Southern California especially Santa Ana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 08:52 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Reputation: 39453
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Well, OCHSA originally moved out of the Los Al District because of various problems(size one of them) and isn't a traditional public school. And Mater Dei costs a LOT of money. There are a few good traditional public high schools in SA, but none spectacular and plenty that rate poorly. Then again, whether OCHSA and Mater Dei rank in the top 5 is debatable because there at probably 10-15 high schools in the county that could be in the top 5. The only one that can for sure be said academically is Oxford, and that's not a traditional high school nor does it have the athletic programs many of the top schools in the county have.
It varies with the criteria, but UNiversity in Irvine, OCHSA in santa Ana, Oxford and Troy are always at the top for academics. Only University HIgh is a "traditional Public school, but they are all public schools. Frankly it makes no difference to me whether someone lables my kid's pschool "traditional" or not as long as it is a really good school and they are getting a great education. I am not sure what benefit is achieved from a school that can add the term "traditional" to its name. Charter schools, fundamental schools, traditioanl schools all teach the kids. If one has superior academics, I will choose that school regardless of the name that may be associated with it.

I do not see Mater Dei ranked because it is private, but even in prvate school rankings I do not see Mater Dei.


Howevr this has nothing to do with m point, which is that most people from OC have no idea how much Santa Ana has improved and even when hit withthe facts, they refuse to believe it. They are convinces that they know that it is the most awful place on earth and they are right and will nto evne consider changing their minds. It is funny. Some people even refused to come visit us when we moved to Santa Ana. When some of those finally did, they looked around and siad "Oh wow, this is really nice. I had no idea that there was anything like this here." It was amusing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 09:28 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Reputation: 39453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
If you are telling me that I NEVER spent any time in SA then you are wrong because I did. I have a relative that works for the Santa Ana Police department. Hmmm.. I bet they never spend time there or hear of anything. You know it sounds like you really like the city and that is great. I don't like it at all and nobody can talk me in to anything different. Maybe it has "A" beautiful park (so what) or some great neighborhoods here and there but as soon as you get in a car and drive a couple blocks away from those areas you get bad neighborhoods and problems. To me, that is not the way I want to live.. It is scarey, especially at night. I would NEVER tell someone to move there or anywhere in OC for that matter... unless they had money to live on the beach and not have to venture too far away from their home. I have now experienced living in two other states and I would NEVER go back to Southern California especially Santa Ana.

Actually, the police give you a jaded view of the city. We met with several officers before we moved there, and they told us it was terrible. One of them even told me that if I moved my family to Santa Ana, I should be arrested for child endangerment. Another officer said that he could not believe how much more crime there was in Santa Ana than in Anaheim where he lived. At the time, Anaheim had a higher crime rate than Santa Ana. He did nto know this, becuase he did not get involved or hear about the crimes in Anaheim, only in Santa Ana.

Why do they have such a jaded viewpoint? They only see the bad side. They do nto live here. They do not see nighbors helping each other. They do not go to the resturuants, bars, churches. clubs, theaters, malls, parks and stores except when there is aproblem. Thus their only involvement is when something is bad.

Thus police in almost any city will say "This place is not as safe as people think it is," or even "this place is horrible" because they only see the bad part.


You can get some information from police officers, but you will not get a balanced or useful viepoint.

Some people who work in Santa Ana get to know the city. Many do not. I have met dozens of people who never leave the building that they work in. They just look out the windows as they drive to and from work and that is their experience of Santa Ana. They say all kinds of crazy things. Many of them assume that every young hispanic they see walking around is a gangbanger. Many assume that every female not wearing a suit or other business attire is a hooker.

Can you tell me what bad area is within two blocks of Floral park? How about Park Santiago? You statement is true of French Park there are some bad areas within a few blocks, so do not go in that direction. Go in the other direction. There is no need to drive into the bad areas.

Did you know that there are bad areas within a few blocks of places in Irvine? Costa Mesa? Orange, Fullerton, Tustin, Westminister, Garden Grove, Westminister, Beauna Park, Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, . . . .

I have no particular love for Santa Ana. I like Orange better. However I would have no problem returning to Santa Ana if I did not have family issues. In fact, Santa Ana and or Orange are where I choose to stay when I return to OC for business (which is about 15-20 weeks of the year). I would choose either of those cities over Irvine, MV, Aliso, and the other matching milquetoast subrubs in South OC. I do not dislike any of those particular suburbs, I just do not like the subruban sprawl lifestyle.

I like the City of Santa Ana ok. My problem however is with the amount of misinformation continually being published and spoken by people who really have no knowlege.

There are people who lived in Santa Ana and hated it. If they were actaul involved in the city they have a basis for what they have to say. There are a lot of people who live in Santa Ana and either love it, or at least know that it is nowhere near as awful as it is constantly being made out to be by people who do not really know anything about the City. Some people live in the CIty and really know nothing about it becuase they rarely or nver leave their house, except to leave the City.

I have driven through, worked in and shopped in Irvine. I have friends who live there. WHen I have been in irvine, most of the people that I have encountereed were rushed, self absorbed and snobby. When I have shpped in Irvine, I was often pushed out of line, rudely bumped into, almost run over by cars and carts operated by people focussing on what their rush was rather than on what they were doing. My car was broken into in Irvine (but never in the thousands of days that it has been parked in Santa Ana (except once when while I was away for a week and a homeless guy was living in it, but he did not take anything. I am not sure how he got in, I think that I must have left something unlocked since there was no sign of forced entry, so that is not really a break in.)

So based on that knowlege would it be appropriate for me to run around saying that Irvine is harried and snobby and all the people are awful, rude and nasty and that Irvine is a horrible place with criminals running around all over?

No.

I am aware from people who actually know Irvine, that it is a pretty nice place for the people who like the kind of lifestyle that Irvine offers. I am also aware that there are a lot of really nice people there. If I were to say Irvine crime is terrible becuase someone broke into my car there. People from Irvine woudl go crazy saying that I have no idea what I am talking about. I know a fmaily that had a lot of problems with their elementary school. That school was terrible. Can I then go around saying that Irvine schools are terrible?

LIekwise, if you do nto know Santa Ana, either from living there, working their and/or from beign involved in the City. (Not just driving into to an office that you never leave, but actual conenction with the city). Then all that you are going to be able to do is repeat rumours and conjecture, or in many cases (not necessarily you) prejudice.

I was of that ilk when we moved there. I believed all the hype about gang bankgers everywhere, The horrible "mexicans" taking over the city and turning it into a barrio. I was nervous. I was misinformed because I fell for the hype that is broadcast around other OC cities.

I got my first lesson days after we moved in while working in the front yard while one of my kids was playing nearby. I saw a group of young men walking by in baggy shorts and similar T Shirts. I immediately thought "Oh no - Gangbangers" I was watching them intently makeing sure that they saw me staring at them. Suddenly onof them bolted into my yard running right at me. I grabbed my shovel and prepared for the worst. He ran by me and grabbed my three year old son, just before he stepped into the street. I should have bene watching my son, not the supposed gangbangers. He introduced himself and welcomed me to the negihborhood and turned out to be a pretty nice kid. I learned a valuable lesson.

It turns out all of those "mexicans" are actually mostly very nice people. Yes they have some unusual habits and practices, but they are generally friendly (once past the natural initial suspcion), they keep up their property well and even sweep the road in front of their homes. There are exceptions of course. You cannot generalize about any people. However one thing that I will say that is a generalization, but at least based on considerable experience - those "mexicans" throw the best and most fun parties and if they invite you to a fmaily party, they are very warm and welcoming. White people parties are stuffy and boring in comparison.

By the way, a lot of those "mexicans" arent. They are from El Salvador, Guatamala, Brazil, Belize, even places like Tonka, Somalia, etc. Each individual is different, Each of these cultures is different. However many know nothings from other Orange County Cities constantly refer to them as "those mexicans" as if they are all the same.

SO yes, it is frustrating and get me really mad when people speak of that about which they have no real knowlege.

Santa Ana is a city. As cities go, it is pretty safe. If you would nto live in Santa Ana, then you probably would not live in any city. It is one thing to say "I do nto like Cities" it is another to spout rumour as fact and say that a particulr City is especially bad when you really do nto know one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 11:31 PM
 
Location: The OC
1,215 posts, read 2,959,974 times
Reputation: 477
As for Irvine being snobby, to be honest I prefer living someone where the people are snobby and in a hurry as long as the area looks clean and nice (which Irvine is, it looks very clean). I'm in a hurry myself most of the time so I actually appreciate people who are quick and efficient. I don't mind if people are stuffy and boring, but then again I don't like to party at all.

Santa Ana isn't very safe. There are still shootings going on there recently, gang related etc. They may happen in other cities too but not as frequently as in Santa Ana. Santa Ana has more of known gang problem. Yes, places like HB or Irvine may have a few wannabe gangsta's too but not to the extent like Santa Ana. I don't feel safe driving through Main St in Santa Ana at all (on the way to Main place mall).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-26-2009, 11:49 PM
 
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Reputation: 575
To say that a Santa Ana police officer does not know the city or what it is about is really dumb. I am sorry for using that term but OMG are you kidding me? Police officers HAVE TO know their territory and they usually know a city frontwards and backwards. Your comment is about as disrespectful and ignorant as it gets and just another reason why I am glad I don't live there.. Unbelievable. I hope people are reading all these posts and can decide for themselves. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Actually, the police give you a jaded view of the city. We met with several officers before we moved there, and they told us it was terrible. One of them even told me that if I moved my family to Santa Ana, I should be arrested for child endangerment. Another officer said that he could not believe how much more crime there was in Santa Ana than in Anaheim where he lived. At the time, Anaheim had a higher crime rate than Santa Ana. He did nto know this, becuase he did not get involved or hear about the crimes in Anaheim, only in Santa Ana.

Why do they have such a jaded viewpoint? They only see the bad side. They do nto live here. They do not see nighbors helping each other. They do not go to the resturuants, bars, churches. clubs, theaters, malls, parks and stores except when there is aproblem. Thus their only involvement is when something is bad.

Thus police in almost any city will say "This place is not as safe as people think it is," or even "this place is horrible" because they only see the bad part.


You can get some information from police officers, but you will not get a balanced or useful viepoint.

Some people who work in Santa Ana get to know the city. Many do not. I have met dozens of people who never leave the building that they work in. They just look out the windows as they drive to and from work and that is their experience of Santa Ana. They say all kinds of crazy things. Many of them assume that every young hispanic they see walking around is a gangbanger. Many assume that every female not wearing a suit or other business attire is a hooker.

Can you tell me what bad area is within two blocks of Floral park? How about Park Santiago? You statement is true of French Park there are some bad areas within a few blocks, so do not go in that direction. Go in the other direction. There is no need to drive into the bad areas.

Did you know that there are bad areas within a few blocks of places in Irvine? Costa Mesa? Orange, Fullerton, Tustin, Westminister, Garden Grove, Westminister, Beauna Park, Anaheim, Huntington Beach, Newport Beach, . . . .

I have no particular love for Santa Ana. I like Orange better. However I would have no problem returning to Santa Ana if I did not have family issues. In fact, Santa Ana and or Orange are where I choose to stay when I return to OC for business (which is about 15-20 weeks of the year). I would choose either of those cities over Irvine, MV, Aliso, and the other matching milquetoast subrubs in South OC. I do not dislike any of those particular suburbs, I just do not like the subruban sprawl lifestyle.

I like the City of Santa Ana ok. My problem however is with the amount of misinformation continually being published and spoken by people who really have no knowlege.

There are people who lived in Santa Ana and hated it. If they were actaul involved in the city they have a basis for what they have to say. There are a lot of people who live in Santa Ana and either love it, or at least know that it is nowhere near as awful as it is constantly being made out to be by people who do not really know anything about the City. Some people live in the CIty and really know nothing about it becuase they rarely or nver leave their house, except to leave the City.

I have driven through, worked in and shopped in Irvine. I have friends who live there. WHen I have been in irvine, most of the people that I have encountereed were rushed, self absorbed and snobby. When I have shpped in Irvine, I was often pushed out of line, rudely bumped into, almost run over by cars and carts operated by people focussing on what their rush was rather than on what they were doing. My car was broken into in Irvine (but never in the thousands of days that it has been parked in Santa Ana (except once when while I was away for a week and a homeless guy was living in it, but he did not take anything. I am not sure how he got in, I think that I must have left something unlocked since there was no sign of forced entry, so that is not really a break in.)

So based on that knowlege would it be appropriate for me to run around saying that Irvine is harried and snobby and all the people are awful, rude and nasty and that Irvine is a horrible place with criminals running around all over?

No.

I am aware from people who actually know Irvine, that it is a pretty nice place for the people who like the kind of lifestyle that Irvine offers. I am also aware that there are a lot of really nice people there. If I were to say Irvine crime is terrible becuase someone broke into my car there. People from Irvine woudl go crazy saying that I have no idea what I am talking about. I know a fmaily that had a lot of problems with their elementary school. That school was terrible. Can I then go around saying that Irvine schools are terrible?

LIekwise, if you do nto know Santa Ana, either from living there, working their and/or from beign involved in the City. (Not just driving into to an office that you never leave, but actual conenction with the city). Then all that you are going to be able to do is repeat rumours and conjecture, or in many cases (not necessarily you) prejudice.

I was of that ilk when we moved there. I believed all the hype about gang bankgers everywhere, The horrible "mexicans" taking over the city and turning it into a barrio. I was nervous. I was misinformed because I fell for the hype that is broadcast around other OC cities.

I got my first lesson days after we moved in while working in the front yard while one of my kids was playing nearby. I saw a group of young men walking by in baggy shorts and similar T Shirts. I immediately thought "Oh no - Gangbangers" I was watching them intently makeing sure that they saw me staring at them. Suddenly onof them bolted into my yard running right at me. I grabbed my shovel and prepared for the worst. He ran by me and grabbed my three year old son, just before he stepped into the street. I should have bene watching my son, not the supposed gangbangers. He introduced himself and welcomed me to the negihborhood and turned out to be a pretty nice kid. I learned a valuable lesson.

It turns out all of those "mexicans" are actually mostly very nice people. Yes they have some unusual habits and practices, but they are generally friendly (once past the natural initial suspcion), they keep up their property well and even sweep the road in front of their homes. There are exceptions of course. You cannot generalize about any people. However one thing that I will say that is a generalization, but at least based on considerable experience - those "mexicans" throw the best and most fun parties and if they invite you to a fmaily party, they are very warm and welcoming. White people parties are stuffy and boring in comparison.

By the way, a lot of those "mexicans" arent. They are from El Salvador, Guatamala, Brazil, Belize, even places like Tonka, Somalia, etc. Each individual is different, Each of these cultures is different. However many know nothings from other Orange County Cities constantly refer to them as "those mexicans" as if they are all the same.

SO yes, it is frustrating and get me really mad when people speak of that about which they have no real knowlege.

Santa Ana is a city. As cities go, it is pretty safe. If you would nto live in Santa Ana, then you probably would not live in any city. It is one thing to say "I do nto like Cities" it is another to spout rumour as fact and say that a particulr City is especially bad when you really do nto know one way or the other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-28-2009, 09:43 AM
 
Location: Grosse Ile Michigan
30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Reputation: 39453
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raelyn28 View Post
To say that a Santa Ana police officer does not know the city or what it is about is really dumb. I am sorry for using that term but OMG are you kidding me? Police officers HAVE TO know their territory and they usually know a city frontwards and backwards. Your comment is about as disrespectful and ignorant as it gets and just another reason why I am glad I don't live there.. Unbelievable. I hope people are reading all these posts and can decide for themselves. LOL
Sorry, but they don't. At least some of them dont anyway. When we moved to Santa Ana individual officers that we spoke to gave us completely bogus information. The department itself gave us the actual staistics for the area which belied the information. Dont get me wrong, we love the SAPD. They are one of the best anywhere. They really do a good job, espeically on a limited budget, but the officers did not give us an accurate representation of the situation.

We got the same thing in other places. I talked to an Irvine PD office and he told me that Irvine has a much higher crime rate than anyonre realizes, it is really not that safe. He was incorrect. I talked to some officers in our primary residence. Some of them said simlar things. They talked about how people just do nto realize how much crime that there is. There are murders and robberies and all sorts of things. In fact, there have been no murders in decades. No assault, no personal robberies. One bank robbery in 25 years or more (probably one bank robbery ever, the records only go back 25 years). There were 8 burglaries 5 of which were by the same guy and he was caught in a week. Yet some of the officers said "It is not as safe here as everyone things, there is a lot of crime but no on talks about it." Of course another officer said "Nothing ever happens here. It is boring, we just write speeding tickets."

However I can tell you definitivetly from personal experience that at least some Santa Ana police officers will give you a jaded and inaccurate representation of the conditions in Santa Ana.

An in response to another post above. Yes. It is absolutely true that Santa Ana is not as safe as irvine or mission viejo or simlar places. Those places are suburbs. Santa Ana is a city. Cities are not as safe as suburbs. As far as I know that is true of every city/suburb everywhere. Maybe there are examples of places where the city is safer than a suburb, but I have never heard of one. You cannot compare Santa Ana to Irvine, MV Aliso, etc. There are simply not simlar in any way.

If you want to comapre Santa Ana, you need to compare a city like Long Beach, San Jose, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc. It offers a different kind of living and a dlifferent set of values prioirities, etc.

PS. I did NOT say that Irvine is snobby. Try reading again. I said that it would be improper for me to say that Irvine is snobby based on a few encounters in mall ;parking lots and stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 06-29-2009, 12:09 AM
 
Location: Flower Mound, Texas
1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Reputation: 575
I wasn't the one who made the comment about Irvine being snobby. I love Irvine that is where my first son was born.. Very good memories there. Also, I cannot tell you which of my relatives works for SAPD but it is someone VERY close. I mentioned this post to her and she disagrees with you.. Again my relative works for the Police Department and you are wrong... Why would the Police Department tell someone that an area is bad when it isn't? What would be the reasoning behind that? And I am not saying that Santa Ana is the worst place in OC. I personally do not like it and find it very unappealing. That is it...my opinion. Compared to the majority of other cities in the area I give it a below 3 rating...

Sorry if I offended you or seemed rude in my response but think it a bit strange that you make such unusual statements about Santa Ana.. What are you the Mayor of the City or do you hold some sentimental ties with it or something? Just curious?


Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Sorry, but they don't. At least some of them dont anyway. When we moved to Santa Ana individual officers that we spoke to gave us completely bogus information. The department itself gave us the actual staistics for the area which belied the information. Dont get me wrong, we love the SAPD. They are one of the best anywhere. They really do a good job, espeically on a limited budget, but the officers did not give us an accurate representation of the situation.

We got the same thing in other places. I talked to an Irvine PD office and he told me that Irvine has a much higher crime rate than anyonre realizes, it is really not that safe. He was incorrect. I talked to some officers in our primary residence. Some of them said simlar things. They talked about how people just do nto realize how much crime that there is. There are murders and robberies and all sorts of things. In fact, there have been no murders in decades. No assault, no personal robberies. One bank robbery in 25 years or more (probably one bank robbery ever, the records only go back 25 years). There were 8 burglaries 5 of which were by the same guy and he was caught in a week. Yet some of the officers said "It is not as safe here as everyone things, there is a lot of crime but no on talks about it." Of course another officer said "Nothing ever happens here. It is boring, we just write speeding tickets."

However I can tell you definitivetly from personal experience that at least some Santa Ana police officers will give you a jaded and inaccurate representation of the conditions in Santa Ana.

An in response to another post above. Yes. It is absolutely true that Santa Ana is not as safe as irvine or mission viejo or simlar places. Those places are suburbs. Santa Ana is a city. Cities are not as safe as suburbs. As far as I know that is true of every city/suburb everywhere. Maybe there are examples of places where the city is safer than a suburb, but I have never heard of one. You cannot compare Santa Ana to Irvine, MV Aliso, etc. There are simply not simlar in any way.

If you want to comapre Santa Ana, you need to compare a city like Long Beach, San Jose, San Bernardino, Riverside, etc. It offers a different kind of living and a dlifferent set of values prioirities, etc.

PS. I did NOT say that Irvine is snobby. Try reading again. I said that it would be improper for me to say that Irvine is snobby based on a few encounters in mall ;parking lots and stores
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-03-2009, 07:49 PM
 
4 posts, read 9,239 times
Reputation: 10
i live in santa ana .not that bad ,you just have to know were it is safe in this area.not only hispanic people are burglers/rapers/etc. you have to know how to speak correctly people in the top.and im hispanic/american.> DNT SAY WHITE PLZZ.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

123
Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top