Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2008, 10:46 AM

11 posts, read 34,500 times

Advertisements

hello,

i know this may seem very early to posting about such a move but i found the site i thought what the heck.

myself and a friend were thinking of coming over from ireland next summer for three months (june/july/august). originally we were thinking of a roadtrip but now we want to sample life in southern california and travelling on our days off.

now being two students (we'l both be 20) we wont obviously have alot to start off but how simple would it be to sort out a job temporarily in the summer months? we're thinking barwork/restaurants that kind of thing.

although we had originally thought newport beach (The OC connection, wanting to sample the young, rich beach party lifestyle - i know, dreamland, right?) from reading various threads on this board NB would appear a little outside our price range. so where do you think would be a good place to base ourselves with plenty of jobs and a studnty culture?maybe orange county might not even be the ideal place for us

ideally we're looking to go to a beachside community that has a young party culture and were we'd meet new friends. i know we're both under-21 (why does your legal age limit need to be so high ) im sure we'l manage. us irish wont be able to stay off the drink for long.

any help youse could provide would be much appreciated.

thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2008, 11:40 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,802,285 times
Costa Mesa is near newport but more affordable.

If you take a lot of drugs, you would fit in well at the base of the Balboa Peninsula (on the North Side) in Newport Beach. Still expensive, but you can sleep five to a room and share the cost.

When we lived in Balboa (The villiage) we met several Austrailians who lived in a tent ont he roof of an adjoining nightclub. They would jump from roof to roof and climb in our windows when we had a party. Their rent was free. Not sure where they took showers though.

Huntington beach may be a good place for you.

What I did my first summer in OC was to stay in Santa Ana. Dirt cheap, the area was not very nice, but it was only the place where I slept sometimes. I was never home anyway, so who cares?

Later I found a room for rent on a boat in Newport Harbor. I am not sure that there are any livaboards left in Newport, but there may be in Dana Pointe or up in Long Beach. That was a great lifestyle for a young twentysomthing. South Laguna was once a less expensive beach community. Not sure where it rates now.

Old 05-23-2008, 11:48 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,763,289 times
costa mesa and huntington beach are your best bet.

also, as mentioned above, renting a boat for a while might work too.. long beach harbor, huntington harbor, etc are all areas that may be have boats for summer rentals

Old 05-27-2008, 03:06 PM

11 posts, read 34,500 times
come on guys surely more of you can help an irish man in need.

do you need a temporary green card to live and work in the US for three months. found out there were a few irish bars in newport and huntington so that seems perfect
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County