Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2008, 09:38 PM

516 posts, read 1,612,192 times

Advertisements

As an outside, objective observer from the east coast who is considering a move to OC, I can say objectively that Newport Beach and Laguna Beach are a level above any other location in the OC in terms of physical beauty. They are among the more beautiful locations in this country, on par with many in South Florida.

With that being said, the OC itself is likely more aesthetically appealing than 90% of the country. But then again, beauty is in the eye of the beholder (or beer holder). And, there are many, many beautiful parts of this country. Take your pleasure and poison with each!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2008, 11:19 PM

74 posts, read 187,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Humanoid View Post
I grew up in the LA area and lived a bit in Orange County (Irvine) and I can't help but laugh at some impression "outsiders" seem to have of the area.

To me the area is just your normal middle-class suburban area of California, but recently its been caste as some sort of upper-class area.

Anybody else get a laugh about this stuff?
I'm sure this has already been said in this 5 page thread, but orange county is very diverse.

You have very run down low class neighborhoods in Santa Ana, and million dollar homes in newport harbor. You have predomenantly asian communities in fountain valley, white communities in huntington beach, hispanic communities in costa mesa, ect...

Old 10-07-2008, 01:29 AM

1,069 posts, read 3,261,688 times
Quote:
Just to note that BMW are targeted at the middle-class and nobody in the upper-class would be caught dead in one. Also, Porshe as in the traditionally porche:

911 Carrera 4S - All 911 Models - Models - Dr. Ing. h.c. F. Porsche AG

Is a novelty car and can't be compared to "luxury car" really. Anyhow, the upper-class buy cars that are Veblen goods, crap like BMWs don't even come into the picture, instead Rolls-Royce, Bentley and things of that nature.

But I know the whole "millionaire next" store image is popular.

Honestly, we can only guess which area is wealthier as the information needed to determine this isn't published as far as I know.

What is stupid about the fact that you can't determine how wealthy an area is by the median income because the wealthy do not necessarily realize their wealth as income on a yearly basis.

Its not hidden income, the issue is wealth. We can all guess at which area in Orange county has the most wealth, but we are just guessing. I don't think YL is such an area, but I said previously that AH may be. I honestly can't really say much about VP, haven't spent much time there. My claim had nothing to do with inland vs coastal though. Also, all these areas are rather new so bringing up "old money" is a bit odd, save that for the east coast.

Orange county has a lot of normal track homes built in the 70's and 80's, but a lot of the development during the 90's and 00's has been McMansions. The number of new McMansion developments over the last 8 years has been rather huge. McMansions are purchased by the exact sort of people I'm talking about - middle-class that what to think they are upper-class.
The latest Rolls-Royce and Bentley offerings are just huge VW`s and BMW`s.
If you want quality 1935 Phantom III or Lagonda.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:29 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,046,160 times
I agree that there are maybe 10 cities in OC that are ultra luxurious, along the coast. Then we have beautiful suburban communities just inland from the coastal cities (RSM, Ladera, Mission Viejo, etc). Anything inland from those cities are no different than LA County. This is very common for CA. The coastal cities have million dollar homes, the bedroom communities just next to them have homes in the $500K-$700K range, and then the "inland" communities have more crowding, crime, older housing and range up to $400K. Desert and agricultural communities are the bottom of the barrell, save Napa and exclusive desert resort/golf communities.

I grew up in Ventura County (18 years) and I liken it to OC, but more liberal and Jewish - in my opinion more enjoyable all around - more character, more camping, etc.

I went to university in LA and lived there for 10 years (Santa Monica), I loved it, but wouldn't raise my family there.

Now I've been in RSM for 5 years, and I'm ready to get the heck outta dodge. I love the area in some ways, but I admit I can't afford the lifestyle I'd be able to in other areas - moving to Austin. I just want more space than I can get in OC, LA or Ventura County these days. 50-60% higher than the US median home price. No thanks!

Old 10-07-2008, 06:37 PM

3,306 posts, read 4,133,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
I just want more space than I can get in OC, LA or Ventura County these days. 50-60% higher than the US median home price. No thanks!
The prices are falling fast. In a few years homes won't be much more in Southern California vs Austin.

Old 10-07-2008, 06:39 PM

Don't think so. New homes, 2400 sq feet are selling in Austin suburbs for $180K. Even if these homes drop, they're still 20+ years old.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Don't think so. New homes, 2400 sq feet are selling in Austin suburbs for $180K. Even if these homes drop, they're still 20+ years old.
You have to compare apples-apples. The cheap areas of Austin aren't comparable to the nice areas of Orange County. Some parts of Austin can get pretty expensive too. When the real estate market bottoms out in California the prices won't differ dramatically, as they do now, from Austin.

There are tons of new homes in Orange county too, but its not like new homes are superior. If anything they are built worse.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:53 PM

141 posts, read 644,743 times
There is no way Southern California will ever be as inexpensive as Austin, Tx.. why does everyone always mention Austin like its some comparable place to California? Its just some obscure college town and anyone who's anyone in the state in which it is located (Texas) most likely lives in either Dallas or Houston and not Austin.. why not compare Dallas or Houston.

Old 10-08-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rickca View Post
Its just some obscure college town and anyone who's anyone in the state in which it is located (Texas) most likely lives in either Dallas or Houston and not Austin.. why not compare Dallas or Houston.
Have you actually ever been to Austin...or Texas for that matter? Austin is a city of approximately 650,000 people, its hardly "some obscure college town". It has a strong economy and is home to a number of technology companies. Dell is located in a northern suburb. The state capital is also located in Austin.

The Texan economy is rather strong in comparison to California and that is why many people are looking to the state. The Austin area is one of the nicest areas in Texas, particularly from the point of view of a Californian. It has a lot of charm....unlike Southern California.

Ironically, anybody who is anybody would likely prefer to live in Austin than Dallas or Houston. But yes, its just an obscure college town with a population of.......650,000.

Old 10-09-2008, 06:03 PM

Quote:
Have you actually ever been to Austin...or Texas for that matter? Austin is a city of approximately 650,000 people, its hardly "some obscure college town". It has a strong economy and is home to a number of technology companies. Dell is located in a northern suburb. The state capital is also located in Austin.

The Texan economy is rather strong in comparison to California and that is why many people are looking to the state. The Austin area is one of the nicest areas in Texas, particularly from the point of view of a Californian. It has a lot of charm....unlike Southern California.

Ironically, anybody who is anybody would likely prefer to live in Austin than Dallas or Houston. But yes, its just an obscure college town with a population of.......650,000.
I agree fully.
I was born/raised in Ventura and LA counties and love CA, or did anyways... I lived abroad in Mexico and Germany for 5 years, and returned to live in OC for five years. I've seen all types of areas, and know what I'm looking for.
The suburb of Round Rock, TX is where I'm considering moving, and I have family there. This family has lived in Calabasas, so they know what details I'm looking for. RR is comparable to where I live now, Rancho Santa Margarita (schools, crime, shopping, parks,etc). Of course, there are $550K homes there too, but those are on the higher end (4500+ sq ft, new) and the $180K homes (2500 Sq Ft, new) are the lower end. Of course, you can get a used home for as little as $110K (up to 15 years old). Re: Apples to apples. I currently live in a condo built in 1987, 998 sq ft, and we bought in 2005 for $357K. Luckily we put 20% down, because in our current economy it's only worth $275K. We basically lost our life savings (I'm 36). At least we're not upside down. Either way, we're outgrowing our 2 bedroom, as we had our 2nd child last summer, so we're looking forward to making a life in a place where our family can have a yard. By the way, my husband and I only make $70K per year, combined, so OC is FAR too expensive for us!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County