Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-06-2007, 04:33 PM

75 posts, read 344,522 times

Advertisements

I'm not sure where to post this thread since there's no Orange County. My family and I are going to be down there for 6 weeks. My husband will be doing work for a company. I am just curious on what my son and I can do during the day? He's 2. I know that there is Disneyland and all that. My Parents are orginally from Pasadena so I know La well . I haven't been to So cal in years. My family all lives in Seattle now.

What malls are good for shopping? Any zoos ? I really don't want to drive to LA if I don't have to. I'm familiar with Laguna and Newport. What else is there to do and see? We'll be staying in Irvine. Any suggestions are greatly appreicated. Oh and how far in San diego and Palm Springs?

Thanks.

Last edited by wamommy1; 01-06-2007 at 04:46 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2007, 10:01 PM

41 posts, read 247,269 times
Where to start. First of all, the traffic is a little thicker since you've been here, especially to San Diego. They haven't put in a diamond lane yet, so it bogs down about Leucadia and stays that way til after the Del Mar racetrack or farther. If you are going that way, drive late morning and head back early.
I also have a 2 yr old and finding something to do with her has been a trick. Laguna is fun do to all the people watching and the beach. There are so many parks there too. Irvine has the big outdoor mall now smack dab in between the freeways (you can't miss it, it looks like Vegas at night). Restaurants, and I think right now they have ice skating somewhere in there, but not too many shops. There is a small zoo in Santa Ana that I have yet to go to, but I hear it's perfect for the wee ones. Also San Juan Cap has a great little petting zoo and pony rides in the old part of town on Los Rios by the mission. Ostriches and goats and bunnies, etc. When I was a kid, white kids didn't go down that street, now the old houses have been turned into little museums and shops and cafes. It's a nice way to kill a day. The choo choo goes by evey half hour or so. Other than that , it's really a peaceful place. There is the Dana Point ocean institute, but I was pretty dissapointed there. I specifically asked them if anything would interest a 2 yr old and I came out of there and told them the answer was no. Instead we enjoyed watching the crabs crawl on the rocks and the harbor and climbing the stairs at the beach right there and chasing birds. It was the first time my daughter saw a real boat. It looks just like the one on "Little Mermaid". San Clemente has a nice pier to run on and the main street Del Mar has cleaned up it's act pretty well. There are swings at the pier too. The Mission Viejo mall has a little indoor playground area so all the mommies can sit and rest while the kids climb. South Coast Plaza has a carousel that's been there since I was a kid. That's all I can think of for now.

Old 01-07-2007, 09:54 PM

38,875 posts, read 22,860,812 times
Default Shopping in/near Irvine

The outdoor mall Kimyart refers to is the Irvine Spectrum (I have a friend who works at the Macy's store there).

She also mentioned South Coast Plaza with its carousel, so I have nothing further to add.

There's also Newport Fashion Island, which is an open air mall with upscale department stores and shops.

Have a nice time while you're down here!

Old 01-07-2007, 10:02 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,355 times
Check your email. I sent you a reply. Thanks

Old 01-08-2007, 03:49 PM

75 posts, read 344,522 times
thanks everyone!!!

Old 01-09-2007, 12:15 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,545 times
A fun outdoor mall is The Block in the city of Orange (in Orange County)...They have a very cool Vans Skatepark It's more inland, but kinda suburban cool.

I think Laguna Beach is beautiful though and lots of nice shops and restaurants...I never run out of things to do there when I'm visiting

Old 01-09-2007, 12:37 PM

625 posts, read 2,435,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel Bear View Post
A fun outdoor mall is The Block in the city of Orange (in Orange County)...They have a very cool Vans Skatepark It's more inland, but kinda suburban cool.

I think Laguna Beach is beautiful though and lots of nice shops and restaurants...I never run out of things to do there when I'm visiting
Just watch the gang-bangers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County