Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2008, 11:10 AM

4 posts, read 14,508 times

Advertisements

Hello

I got a job in Irvine and I will be making the move down to Orange County in 3 weeks. Now my challenge is to figure out where to live. I don't think I want to live in Irvine, I would rather be closer to the beach, without making my commute a nightmare. I was thinking about Newport. Any thoughts on good areas for a young professional to live in Orange County?

I really want to be near other young professionals in a social area so I have a better chance of meeting other people.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Thank you!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 12:47 PM

1,338 posts, read 2,024,950 times
Default How bout some info first

Congrats on the new job! Are you male or female? Single or affiliated? It's probably in your profile but I didn't check hahah.

Are you working in South Irvine (Spectrum area) or the Irvine Business Complex area (area surrounding John Wayne Airport near Jamboree Rd or Macarthur Blvd)? Are you planning to buy or rent? I'm assuming rent right now (don't get me started on the entertainment that is the OC housing market hahah).

Newport Beach is a good place to live for young people, could get a little expensive though, especially if you wanna live walking distance to the beach. Another option is Costa Mesa. It's a little cheaper and has a lot more personality than Irvine. I live in Costa Mesa at the moment, near South Coast Plaza (big/famous shopping mall) and I like it.

The benefits of Costa Mesa are it's in between both Irvine & Newport, therefore (if you lived there) you'd be close to your job (15-25 minute commute max) and yet still close to the beach, all while paying less than both Irvine & Newport.

Old 06-01-2008, 03:42 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
newport is a bit expensive. costa mesa is less so and a good choice

Old 06-01-2008, 06:31 PM

4 posts, read 14,508 times
Thanks! To answer your questions, I am single and female. I am moving from San Francisco, so I am used to high rents But yes, I will be renting as well. The job is near John Wayne Airport. I am just looking to live somewhere social where there are other young professionals. And I like being able to walk to at least a few bars and cafes. That is what I will really miss about living in SF (being able to walk everywhere). I think that answers your questions. Thanks for the replies

Old 06-02-2008, 12:12 PM

742 posts, read 2,068,222 times
Look up Tustin and Orange. I do know that the cost of living in those two places are lower than Irvine. The Block (mall area with bars and cafes) is in Orange. However, you're going to have to drive a bit to get to anywhere.

Old 06-02-2008, 01:05 PM

451 posts, read 1,324,542 times
Congratulations on the new job. Orange County can’t compare to San Francisco in terms of having bars and cafes within walking distance.

The choices will be either to live near some bars and cafes and drive a little to work or the live closer to work and drive a little to the bars and cafes. That’s just the nature of Orange County. It is in general more sprawled out here than San Francisco.

Newport Beach has some café and bars, rent is a little higher.

Costa Mesa is close to shopping- South Coast Plaza and rent is a little cheaper than Newport or Irvine.

Irvine- rent is high, but not as high as Newport. Irvine is mostly suburban and mostly families living there. You could find an apartment near Irvine Spectrum to be close to some cafes and bars. Or you could live close to work in the Irvine Business Complex which has some apartments mostly along Jamboree Road.

Huntington Beach- along PCH is some bars and cafes. You would have to drive a little to work.

Tustin- cheaper than Irvine or Newport Beach, will have to drive a little to work. Has a small old town area and shopping at the Tustin Marketplace and the District. You will have to drive a little to work.

Orange-also cheaper than Irvine or Newport Beach, will have to drive a little to work. There is some shopping , cafes and bars either in old town Orange by the traffic circle or “The Block”.

Hope this gives you a little picture and hope this helps. Best wishes in your search.

Old 06-06-2008, 01:00 AM

9 posts, read 28,471 times
Default South Coast Metro

I think South Coast Metro is the closest thing to "pedestrian friendly" I can think of. You have the OCPAC there, the Repertory, Segerstrom Hall, (basically the bulk of our performing arts - also beautiful buildings) and those three surround a park which is also surrounded by three or four office towers. There are some restaurants intermingled in there, and there is a pedestrian bridge you can walk over Bristol St. to South Coast Plaza which is of course, a full blown high-end mall with everything including bars and coffee shops, etc...

The trouble is, there is only one rental there that is not low-end, in my mind. I know because I used to rent in the low-end ones when I was younger - yeah, they had those machines that you had to park your car on, and it would lift it up so your roomie could park under it. Great fun. Anyway, years ago. But I remember always wanting to live in the complex across the street, which is the one I speak of.

The area is expanding and they are supposed to be building - I think two - high-rise luxury lofts there. So - it is turning more and more into that "walkable" type of place but at the moment, there's only one rental there, they just renovated as well, but it seriously is right in the middle of all of that great stuff.

And all of that is less than .25 mile from the 405 freeway, and about .50 mile from John Wayne airport. When they do finally build those high rises, I plan to take a look at that area.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:00 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
Orange has a small walkable downtown. It is a college town so there is a little bit to do. It is really quaint. When we lived in Orange, we walked pretty much everywhere and pulled our kids along in a Red Ryder wagon. We walked to church, dining, bars, grocery stores, banking, coffee shops, antiquing, and lots o other stuff. We only drove for movies and cultural events.

Santa Ana is a walkable downtown, but not for walking alone. When we lived there, it was possible to walk to everything. However it is a little rough in many areas. Still we enjoyed it. Best neighbors we had anywhere in California.

In Newport you can walk on the beach and visit some shops and restaurants. Balboa Village is the best part of Newport in my opinion. Lots of UCI students live there so It is doable for an Irvine job. Balboa is great except in the summer when it gets a bit crazy. Kind of a small town atmosphere in the winter.

Laguna is very walkable, but you need another two jobs in addition to the one you have to afford it. It is a nice arts oriented town, but pricey and hard to get to and from.

For a tiny town, with lots of natural areas to walk (hike) look at Silverado Canyon.

There is a new condo complex on Main and Memory Lane in Santa Ana. You wan walk to main place mall, Santiago Park, and even old town Orange if you are ambitious. There are some trendy type restaurants right in the same complex (McCormick & Schmitt's, pink berry, Corner Bakery and some other stuff). The Discovery Science center and the Bower museum are within a long walk.

If you want matching houses with walls around them and matching strip malls, go to South OC (Irvine, M.V., Cota, etc). there are lots of nice manmade suburban park areas to walk in. If you like a city atmosphere, Santa Ana or Orange are your best choices. Long Beach too, but a bit of a drive there.

For beach living, Balboa or Laguna.

You can live in Costa mesa and still walk to the beach. It is not a pedestrian friendly City though.

Good luck. It will be very different from S.F.

Old 06-06-2008, 10:01 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,810,729 times
You might be able to take a train from Orange to Irvine.

Old 06-09-2008, 10:04 PM

5 posts, read 30,420 times
I'm in exactly the same situation (see my other thread) and this thread has been immensely helpful. Would anyone recommend any of the high-rises near South Coast metro?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County