Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-21-2008, 12:13 AM

39,031 posts, read 22,942,033 times

Advertisements

I'm new to this forum and would like some advice about relocating to north Orange County. I am a professional that works in multiple locations including Mission Viejo, Fullerton, Whittier and Pasadena. To make things more complicated, I do not have a driver's license so I rely on public transportation. I have identified the following cities within northern OC as being the middle ground for my commuting needs (listed in order of convenience): Anaheim, Fullerton, Buena Park, Orange. Any feedback regarding the cities I have listed for renting? I cannot afford more than 1150 per month (I currently only pay 825) but need safety and accessibility to transportation options such as Amtrak/Metrolink trains, etc. Any imput is appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-21-2008, 08:28 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,420,217 times
The chances of you being able to make it work commuting to Mission Viejo, Fullerton, Whittier and Pasadena without a car on a regular basis are slim and none and slim is going the way of SUV sales. The majority of your day will be waiting for a bus somewhere. I don't see this working.

It helps to take a look at a map:

Old 06-21-2008, 12:15 PM

Smile Clarification of my original post

Thanks Charles for your reply. I currently commute via public transportation to all four of these cities (Mission Viejo, Fullerton, Pasadena & Whittier) and know where each of these cities are located. The reason that I wish to move to either Anaheim or Fullerton is that it would make my commute to Mission Viejo simplier while still giving me access to Fullerton, Whittier and Pasadena via train, etc. So my question is really how safe are the areas of Anaheim and Fullerton since they offer me the most options of commuting. Thanks!

Old 06-21-2008, 12:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,684,849 times
they're fairly safe, but your price range may place you in more shadier areas. that said, a shady area of anaheim or fullerton isnt anything like a shady area of los angeles

Old 06-21-2008, 01:14 PM

Smile Reply to BHCOMPY

Thanks for your reply. When you say "shadier areas," is it due to crime, gangs? Also, how would these shady areas compare to an area such as Compton (where I've lived in the past)? Since I will be living alone and using public transportation, I would like to ensure that I am in a safe area. Of course, I plan to visit several apartment communities to narrow them down then visit at night with friends to get a better sense of the area. Are there any areas of Anaheim I should avoid? What about the areas near Disneyland or downtown Anaheim? Are those areas safe? Thanks so much for your imput!

Old 06-21-2008, 02:31 PM

301 posts, read 1,505,277 times
Your best bet will be downtown fullerton, north of the railroad tracks. A lot of buses stop at the fullerton depot too. But keep in mind there are a lot of college students who rent apartments. They've got CSUF and Fullerton JC there. So you are more likely to have issues with noise and maturity.

The Disneyland area would be okay if you were renting a room in a house. The apartments you should avoid are around Ponderosa Park, Paul Revere School, and the area just west of Downtown Disney and the Disneyland Hotel.

Downtown Anaheim is hit and miss. If you are in a neighborhood that consists of single family homes, you will be okay. The neighborhoods that consist of lots of low cost apartments are where the drug dealers and gang problems are centered.

Old 06-21-2008, 04:29 PM

Smile Reply to MisterDuke

Thanks for the information, especially about the areas in Anaheim to avoid. I was planning to visit an apartment complex that appears to be near Pondorosa Park so maybe I should just forget that one. Downtown Fullerton seems to be really expensive though but I haven't checked out all of the properties there yet so maybe I'll luck out. Someone recommended that I stay east of Harbor Boulevard in Fullerton, do you agree with this?

Old 06-21-2008, 09:13 PM

301 posts, read 1,505,277 times
West of Harbor is fine as long as you also stay north of the railroad tracks. The stretch of Fullerton that is south of the tracks (east or west) is where the problematic low rent apartment complexes are located. Avoid anything on Valencia Drive (Not to be confused with Valencia Mesa Drive, which would be okay)

$1150 for an apartment in a safe neighborhood is going to cut it close. You may have to cut back on safety to make that price. It would be easier to search for a room in a house.

Old 06-23-2008, 01:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
West of Harbor is fine as long as you also stay north of the railroad tracks. The stretch of Fullerton that is south of the tracks (east or west) is where the problematic low rent apartment complexes are located. Avoid anything on Valencia Drive (Not to be confused with Valencia Mesa Drive, which would be okay)

$1150 for an apartment in a safe neighborhood is going to cut it close. You may have to cut back on safety to make that price. It would be easier to search for a room in a house.
Thanks MisterDuke...I will just need to keep searching since I really need a large 1-bed or 2-bed at a reasonable price in a decent area. I have time since my current lease expires in October. If I cannot find a place within my price range, I may have to search for options within southeastern LA County.

Old 06-23-2008, 10:45 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,097,607 times
I've lived in both Anaheim and Fullerton for extended amounts of time, so I can answer any specific questions that you may have. As for suggestions of where to live, I would check the area between Commonwealth, Chapman, Harbor, and State College. There are many, many apartment buildlings in this rather large area and crime wasn't an issue when I was living in the area less than 5 years ago. I used to delive pizza in this area, so I am extremely familiar with most of the neighborhoods in east Fullerton.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County