Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2008, 11:44 AM

198 posts, read 927,982 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I've heard that before. I heard its because there's no apartments to drag down the median income.
There are a few non-senior complexes, but that's about it. That's part of the reason... but there are also a lot of expensive homes here--so there must obviously a lot of people here in YL who can afford them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2008, 11:57 AM

198 posts, read 927,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Apparently, Yorba Linda is the highest income city in the United States.

Money: Yorba Linda is richest U.S. city | linda, yorba, newport, income, median - OCRegister.com

It's kind of an unusual city for it's size (pop. 60,000). There are no high schools in Yorba Linda. No movie theaters. They pay the Brea police to patrol their streets because they don't have their own police department. And they recently disbanded their community foundation because of lack of interest and donations.
There will be a high school opening in YL in about 1 to 2 years time, appropriately named Yorba Linda High School on Fairmont and Bastanchury--construction has already begun. Look for more info at Welcome to the PYLUSD Website.

YL turned down the movie theatre many years ago--which is why Cinemoplis was built in Anheim at Imperial and La Palma (great theatre, btw--now called Cinema City, I think?). We also don't have any bars... darn.

YL prolly doesn't have enough crime to warrant our own PD... Placentia and Brea definitely do--we don't really have any shady areas to speak of.

Don't know anything about the community foundation--I doubt I'm in the age bracket of their target market... I make peanuts at work anyway.

A post I made from another thread about YL:

"2 of the 3 high schools in YL's district made it onto Newsweek's Top High Schools list, actually--and I attended the one that didn't and received an excellent education with a challenging curriculum, dedicated teachers, and great arts & athletics programs. Yorba Linda High School is scheduled to open Fall 2009, I believe.

There's no real bad part of Yorba Linda, really... there is one street left with a crappy apartment complex, but the one across the street from it upgraded some years ago, so it's only a matter of time. There are older homes, yes--but the 20-year-old homes in my neighborhood are very well-kept and many have been upgraded in the past several years. There's also a 5-ish year old neighborhood behind me that ranged from high-500s to 2mil when it was new (higher now, of course).

I've never noticed much in the way of smog and far less snooty people here because of the smaller town feel and family-oriented atmosphere. The views from the hills behind my house on a clear day are great, too.

As for downtown LA, well, yes, there's the god-forsaken 91, but the 60, 10, and 210 fwys aren't far. If I can ever afford to live in YL on my own and raise my kids here, I will--I love it here.

In other cities near YL... Placentia has plenty more less-desirable areas then Yorba Linda--even Brea's still not done cleaning up, and Anaheim's icky aside from the Hills, but I would still pick North OC over Central. I don't know that I would even want to live in most of South OC, either--maybe closer to the coast, but definitely not anywhere like Coto. South OC has some really beautiful areas, but I hate the 405 almost as much as I hate the 91. My second choice? Fullerton. Troy High School is one of the best public high schools in OC. Crappy band last I saw, but they've got some good sports teams, great academics, and they're right across the street from my alma mater, Cal State Fullerton. ^_^

Either way, it's going to depend on what you're looking for and what your deal-breakers are."

Old 04-02-2012, 08:34 AM

99 posts, read 568,100 times
So many untruths on this posting. Yorba Linda does have it's own high school. Yorba Linda is *not* the highest income city in the country. It's the highest income city for a city of its size. Additionally, that income poll takes into account earned income, it doesn't provide for those with investments, inheritance, etc - the kind of super wealth you'll find in Newport, Laguna, Bel Air, etc. What's more, Yorba Linda is primarily single family homes whereas Newport and Laguna have lots of condos and rentals. If you compare apples to apples, the 'house'holds of Newport are far more affluent. You get the idea.

YL is a great town. I understand when folks say it's in the boonies. It's at the edge of OC and there is only one primary artery to reach the rest of the county. You don't have access to the same kinds of shopping, beaches, colleges or diversity as you do in other places. This can be a plus or a minus, or course. I love that YL has both older, more modest (but large) ranch homes, as well as stunning view homes and a fair share of McMansions. In spite of being in the far north/east corner, some of YL's hills are high enough to command a view of the ocean as well as Catalina (on a clear day). Very impressive to be so inland.

Because of how removed YL is, I prefer North Tustin. The homes are more custom instead of the very tract home feel of YL. It's more rural and woodsy. It abuts a national forest and, even though it's far east, it's south enough to border Irvine, so you have wonderful services nearby & you're much closer to the beach.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:54 PM

283 posts, read 621,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by proteus View Post
So many untruths on this posting. Yorba Linda does have it's own high school. Yorba Linda is *not* the highest income city in the country. It's the highest income city for a city of its size. Additionally, that income poll takes into account earned income, it doesn't provide for those with investments, inheritance, etc - the kind of super wealth you'll find in Newport, Laguna, Bel Air, etc. What's more, Yorba Linda is primarily single family homes whereas Newport and Laguna have lots of condos and rentals. If you compare apples to apples, the 'house'holds of Newport are far more affluent. You get the idea.

YL is a great town. I understand when folks say it's in the boonies. It's at the edge of OC and there is only one primary artery to reach the rest of the county. You don't have access to the same kinds of shopping, beaches, colleges or diversity as you do in other places. This can be a plus or a minus, or course. I love that YL has both older, more modest (but large) ranch homes, as well as stunning view homes and a fair share of McMansions. In spite of being in the far north/east corner, some of YL's hills are high enough to command a view of the ocean as well as Catalina (on a clear day). Very impressive to be so inland.

Because of how removed YL is, I prefer North Tustin. The homes are more custom instead of the very tract home feel of YL. It's more rural and woodsy. It abuts a national forest and, even though it's far east, it's south enough to border Irvine, so you have wonderful services nearby & you're much closer to the beach.
The services are severly lacking in North Tustin due to it being in unincorporated Orange County. I do not think you have explored these areas fully. Please get out more and drive the areas before you make statements that are not based in fact.

There are several neighborhoods in both Anaheim Hills & Yorba Linda that are devoid of Tract homes....Check out Peralta Hills, Fairmont, Old Bridge, Mohler Loop. There are tons of custom homes off Lakeview, Palm Vista, Green Oaks, Golf Course area etc...Please drive these areas before you make baseless claims.

There are hundreds CEO's that make their home in this area, biotech, technology, auto etc. Most CEO's that live in the area have 2nd or 3rd homes in Newport, Laguna or Huntington. Are these armchair postulates or do you have some facts to corroborate your statements?

Old 04-03-2012, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
The services are severly lacking in North Tustin due to it being in unincorporated Orange County. I do not think you have explored these areas fully. Please get out more and drive the areas before you make statements that are not based in fact.

There are several neighborhoods in both Anaheim Hills & Yorba Linda that are devoid of Tract homes....Check out Peralta Hills, Fairmont, Old Bridge, Mohler Loop. There are tons of custom homes off Lakeview, Palm Vista, Green Oaks, Golf Course area etc...Please drive these areas before you make baseless claims.

There are hundreds CEO's that make their home in this area, biotech, technology, auto etc. Most CEO's that live in the area have 2nd or 3rd homes in Newport, Laguna or Huntington. Are these armchair postulates or do you have some facts to corroborate your statements?
Yes, YL is a full-fledged city. I'm not referring to public services. N. Tustin has many more amenities close by. There are many more options in Irvine (shopping, schools, university) than in Yorba Linda. You're closer to the beach as well. YL is in a corner, separate from much of the county.

I'm aware there are some areas that have custom homes in YL & AH, but most of those areas are tract. Many of the custom homes that are there look like pre-fab McMansions, particularly in YL. If you've ever been to N. Tustin, you'd know that it's much more of a custom home area. That's the point I'm making. Common sense would tell one that I wasn't claiming that every YL home is tract, unless you're taking this personally. ;-)

I spent the first part of my childhood in OPA. I'm sorry, YL residents cannot afford second homes in Newport or Laguna. Come on, now. The average price of a home in Newport & Laguna is a lot more than YL. I doubt they're paying more money for their alleged second homes on the coast. What an obvious lie.

Perhaps you live in or were raise in YL and took my write-up personally. No need to be offended. YL is no Newport Coast in terms of residents' worth or price of houses.

Again, don't take this personally. It's not a personal attack on you or YL. YL is a nice place, okay? ...but it is a bit remote, the architecture of most homes it tract-like & it's not the wealthiest town in OC. It's only the wealthiest town of it's size. ... and there's nothing wrong with that.

Old 04-03-2012, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Yes, YL is a full-fledged city. I'm not referring to public services. N. Tustin has many more amenities close by. There are many more options in Irvine (shopping, schools, university) than in Yorba Linda. You're closer to the beach as well. YL is in a corner, separate from much of the county.

I'm aware there are some areas that have custom homes in YL & AH, but most of those areas are tract. Many of the custom homes that are there look like pre-fab McMansions, particularly in YL. If you've ever been to N. Tustin, you'd know that it's much more of a custom home area. That's the point I'm making. Common sense would tell one that I wasn't claiming that every YL home is tract, unless you're taking this personally. ;-)

I spent the first part of my childhood in OPA. I'm sorry, YL residents cannot afford second homes in Newport or Laguna. Come on, now. The average price of a home in Newport & Laguna is a lot more than YL. I doubt they're paying more money for their alleged second homes on the coast. What an obvious lie.

Perhaps you live in or were raise in YL and took my write-up personally. No need to be offended. YL is no Newport Coast in terms of residents' worth or price of houses.

Again, don't take this personally. It's not a personal attack on you or YL. YL is a nice place, okay? ...but it is a bit remote, the architecture of most homes it tract-like & it's not the wealthiest town in OC. It's only the wealthiest town of it's size. ... and there's nothing wrong with that.

I just want you to show me finite proof of what you are saying is true. I have information to the contrary...Several of my neighbors have homes have their main homes up in Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills as well as parts of LA (Pasadena etc). Heck the owner of Maglite has a beach house a few doors down and his main house is in Anaheim Hills.

Profiles of wealthiest [Orange County Business Journal (CA)]

he is worth $400m according to this article.

Its obvious you do not know what you are talking about, I live down here and I know a lot of people that are from that area that have second or third homes down here. Once again show facts and proof which corroborate your statements.
http://www.ocbj.com/news/2006/aug/07/hills-of-wealth/

Old 04-04-2012, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socalpal View Post
I just want you to show me finite proof of what you are saying is true. I have information to the contrary...Several of my neighbors have homes have their main homes up in Yorba Linda, Anaheim Hills as well as parts of LA (Pasadena etc). Heck the owner of Maglite has a beach house a few doors down and his main house is in Anaheim Hills.

Profiles of wealthiest [Orange County Business Journal (CA)]

he is worth $400m according to this article.

Its obvious you do not know what you are talking about, I live down here and I know a lot of people that are from that area that have second or third homes down here. Once again show facts and proof which corroborate your statements.
Sign in to Orange County Business Journal | Orange County Business Journal
Neither of your links provide proof of anything. Proclaiming "several" Newport neighbors have their man home on YL is neither proof not factual. Thereat be a person or two who does but you can't refute that Newport real estate is far pricier & there are more super wealthy there. You also couldn't refute the abundance or tract & McMansion homes in YL. So what is it glue disagree with? We both know that no upper mid class YL residents hardly have 2 addtl properties in Newport or elsewhere. You went too far

Old 04-04-2012, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Neither of your links provide proof of anything. Proclaiming "several" Newport neighbors have their man home on YL is neither proof not factual. Thereat be a person or two who does but you can't refute that Newport real estate is far pricier & there are more super wealthy there. You also couldn't refute the abundance or tract & McMansion homes in YL. So what is it glue disagree with? We both know that no upper mid class YL residents hardly have 2 addtl properties in Newport or elsewhere. You went too far

Quote:
I'm sorry, YL residents cannot afford second homes in Newport or Laguna. Come on, now. The average price of a home in Newport & Laguna is a lot more than YL. I doubt they're paying more money for their alleged second homes on the coast. What an obvious lie.

I live in Laguna not Newport...Please post proof which shows I am lying. From personal experience I just told you, what do you want me to do pull public records and prove it to you? If I do this will you stop trolling this board with ridiculous statements?

Old 04-05-2012, 05:48 PM

12 posts, read 22,825 times
Since YL sits far to the east, does it get smog in summer?

Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,309,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lucky_seven View Post
Since YL sits far to the east, does it get smog in summer?
Yep.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County