Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2007, 01:36 PM

317 posts, read 1,758,223 times

Advertisements

I am moving in a week to Newport and I was wondering what are the better banks in SOCAL for just having a checking account at with atm and online ability? Out east there are different banks. I was curious as to what are the better banks in California, and in particular southern california. When I say better I mean a few things:
1. locations
2. hours of operation
3. customer service
4. reputation/quality

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2007, 02:15 PM

A couple other questions:
1. Do any banks have free ATM transactions at certain ATM locations outside the bank?
2. Do any banks impose an additional fee on top of whatever the ATM charges for using their ATM?
(On the east coast certaink banks allow you to withdraw funds from any place outside their bank and do not impose any fees on it, you would just pay the atm fee that the particular atm imposes) no additional fees from your bank on TOP of the fee assessed at the atm.

3. What are the better/lower cost CAR insurance providers? I have one out here that you can only get if you work at certain companies and the rates are about 500.00 less a year for me compared to most other places, but you have to be employed at a certain member company. Are there any exclusive auto insurers out there? If so which ones and if not what places are good to work with, and reasonably priced? THANKS

Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM

1 posts, read 11,841 times
Default better banks

I was curious as to what are the better banks in California, and in particular southern california. When I say better I mean a few things:
Attached Files
File Type: zip bank.zip (199.3 KB, 210 views)

Old 03-13-2007, 05:59 PM

sorry but I am not going to open a zip file.
Can you please copy and paste the info? thank you!

Old 03-13-2007, 08:19 PM

2,071 posts, read 12,015,151 times
Look into Washington Mutual and Wells Fargo. I'd avoid BofA.

Old 03-13-2007, 10:50 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,864,420 times
avoid BofA. They telemarket to you!!!! Always trying to sell you crap you don't need!

Old 03-15-2007, 07:08 PM

i did look into the three discussed about and it seems that for a basic "Free" checking account, washington mutual is the only "real free" checking account that does not assess a monthly fee with no stipulations. washington mutual also appears to have the most locations in the area and they also do not charge an additional fee on top of the fee that the atm charges you to make a withdrawal.

thanks for your help.
does anyone know good car insurers?

Old 03-18-2007, 12:22 PM

38,870 posts, read 22,857,182 times
Thumbs up Washington Mutual

Quote:
Originally Posted by dakicka View Post
i did look into the three discussed about and it seems that for a basic "Free" checking account, washington mutual is the only "real free" checking account that does not assess a monthly fee with no stipulations. washington mutual also appears to have the most locations in the area and they also do not charge an additional fee on top of the fee that the atm charges you to make a withdrawal.

thanks for your help.
does anyone know good car insurers?
I have the basic free checking account with Washington Mutual---and as they say in their ads, it is truly FREE of any kind of "hidden" charges. They also have a vast network of brick-and-mortar banks and ATMs in the area, so you really can't go wrong with them.

One of my sisters banks with US Bank, and she's pretty happy with them. They also have locations in other states, like Washington Mutual.

As far as car insurers go, I have State Farm and have been with them for 20+ years. I've gotten quotes from other companies and they're pretty much the same as what I pay with State Farm, so I've decided to stay with them. You could try getting online quotes from GEICO, Progressive and Mercury Insurance.

Good luck to you and welcome to California!

Old 03-18-2007, 02:04 PM

thanks a lot for your help. it did seem WM was the better choice for a no frills checking account.

Old 03-18-2007, 02:08 PM

989 posts, read 5,924,125 times
Bank of America has ATM machines everywhere, but don't be fooled by their tactics- B of A is a heavy supporter of illegal immigration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County