Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2008, 09:05 PM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You know what's pathetic is that when I first went into the OC job market in 1996, $12 an hour was entry level for jobs like cust. service or receptionist. 12 years later, the cost of rent has doubled, gas has tripled, food and pretty much everything is more expensive. Since the good old days of the 90s, the economy has just gone down the toilet and the middle/lower classes have suffered tremendously.
I read recently that the cost of living in Southern CA (OC/LA) has risen sharply. But, the wages have remained stagnant. It is an uneven balance. People do not make enough $ to afford in their own homes. It contributed to the foreclousure and mortage crisis, bankrupt companies and the sluggish economy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2008, 01:34 PM

7,829 posts, read 11,781,536 times
I was just discussing this in the Real Estate forum that the purchasing power of the middle class has been eroded quite a bit and that is why home affordability is just not there to create buyers in this market so we're far off from a bottom on housing.

However, the sharp brains on City data were arguing with me saying that we're at a bottom because income has risen and people are still being paid buckets of money. Yes, SURE, there are buyers coming with suitcases full of bills as downpayment and everyone around the Orange County block is earning six figure incomes and buying half a million dollar starter homes

The stupidity of some people here just amazes me!

Old 08-16-2008, 12:06 AM

3,853 posts, read 12,863,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasturkey View Post
I read recently that the cost of living in Southern CA (OC/LA) has risen sharply. But, the wages have remained stagnant. It is an uneven balance. People do not make enough $ to afford in their own homes. It contributed to the foreclousure and mortage crisis, bankrupt companies and the sluggish economy.
yup. I make 9/hr and I go to school full time. I want to get a full time job as well to help save up more cash for when I move out of my parents house. I've already crunched the numbers and I've decided that Ca is too expensive to live so I am leaving, with my cash, and going to Texas where land is cheaper.

You idiots over here can pay 500k+ for a 3bed/2bath in the ghetto. I'll save my money and buy a 10 acre ranch in texas with a house for 200k or less.

Then again there is a reason home prices in OC are PLUMMETING, No one can afford to pay 500k+ for a 3bed/2bath anymore!

Old 08-17-2008, 03:49 PM

198 posts, read 354,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by denverian View Post
You know what's pathetic is that when I first went into the OC job market in 1996, $12 an hour was entry level for jobs like cust. service or receptionist. 12 years later, the cost of rent has doubled, gas has tripled, food and pretty much everything is more expensive. Since the good old days of the 90s, the economy has just gone down the toilet and the middle/lower classes have suffered tremendously.
Southern California is taking on a third world reality. There are two classes....those with and those with very little.

Old 08-18-2008, 10:27 AM

330 posts, read 1,313,888 times
Cool Same boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer2021 View Post
yup. I make 9/hr and I go to school full time. I want to get a full time job as well to help save up more cash for when I move out of my parents house. I've already crunched the numbers and I've decided that Ca is too expensive to live so I am leaving, with my cash, and going to Texas where land is cheaper.

You idiots over here can pay 500k+ for a 3bed/2bath in the ghetto. I'll save my money and buy a 10 acre ranch in texas with a house for 200k or less.

Then again there is a reason home prices in OC are PLUMMETING, No one can afford to pay 500k+ for a 3bed/2bath anymore!
We are in the same boat. I make $13.75 an hour as a school district employee. No one in ED works 40 hrs a week except for office employees or administrators. Which I am not. So many taxes are taken out of each check I take home. My bills are barely getting paid with nothing else for rent or living expenses. I am going to get a 2nd job to save enough money to relocate to live in a more affordable place. You can rent a house or an apartment in parts of the country where the same amount won't even get you a room here. You crunched the numbers and took a look at what people are paying for. Something is keeping these "idiots" here. It could be......

1. Friends, family
2. Disneyland, Knotts Berry Farm, Magic Mountain,
Universal Studios, Aquarium of the Pacific, Legoland and Sea World
3. Beach
4. Arroz, frijos, flautas, sopes, gorditas, tortas, barbocoa, pastor and carne asada, horchata and tamarindo
5. Suburban tract housing
6. Liquor stores and starbucks on every corner
7. Weekend getaways to Las Vegas, San Diego and Palm Springs

This is all they know. Some people can't live without those things. I can and I will.

Last edited by Texasturkey; 08-18-2008 at 10:37 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County