Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-20-2008, 07:20 PM

5 posts, read 13,265 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone...

We are planning to move the OC sometime over the summer. I have a 16 year old daughter that is devistated that we are moving so far away.

What kind of things are there that might help her adjust to being a "California Girl"

As always, thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-20-2008, 07:21 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Do you really want her being a "California Girl"?

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,831,000 times
Just give her a typical OC allowance (say $1500/month) and a BMW to drive and she will fit right in.

Old 05-20-2008, 07:25 PM

92 posts, read 349,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nee Nee in Cali? View Post
Hello everyone...

We are planning to move the OC sometime over the summer. I have a 16 year old daughter that is devistated that we are moving so far away.

What kind of things are there that might help her adjust to being a "California Girl"

As always, thanks for your help!
You do not want her to become a California Girl, your better off not even moving to the OC

Old 05-20-2008, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Just give her a typical OC allowance (say $1500/month) and a BMW to drive and she will fit right in.
Don't forget the fake boobs and skimpy clothes.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:05 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,885,783 times
OC is God's country, and your daughter will never want to leave after she is here a while. Don't listen to these few who aren't happy with there life and want everyone to be unhappy...!

Old 05-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
OC is God's country, and your daughter will never want to leave after she is here a while. Don't listen to these few who aren't happy with there life and want everyone to be unhappy...!
So what are you doing in Apple Valley?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:47 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,495 times
A credit card.

Old 05-20-2008, 10:55 PM

40 posts, read 129,086 times
Depending on where you live there are plenty of things you can tell your daughter to excite her, Orange County has some of the most beautiful beaches, great malls, music venues for live concerts and much much more. What everyone else is saying has some truth to it too unfortunately. Orange County is a very ritzy rich area so there is a lot of money and it can be harder to adapt too. But I think if you give it enough time she will love it here.

Old 05-20-2008, 11:15 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,440,732 times
Which city will you be living in or where will she be attending high school? There is a huge fluctuation is my opinion of the culture of schools and communities in Orange County with some areas more materialistic than others. YOU DON'T HAVE TO BE MATERIALISTIC. While there are kids that drive BMW's, the VAST majority do not. Most kids have a job, drive regular cars like a 1999 Corolla, buy regular clothes, etc... At a school like Laguna Beach High School, sure maybe a higher proportion of the kids are driving Range Rovers, but at most OC schools, the kids are just regular kids. If your daughter chooses her friends correctly she will be fine.

One thing I like about the size of high schools here in OC is there is not as big a heirarchy system. The children of my cousins in Indiana have said that there is still a major popular and unpopular system at their schools there and their kids are not popular and hate school because of hazing and such. The schools are smaller so everyone knows each other well and the athletes tend to "rule the school". In OC the school tend to be fairly large and no group of kids stand out as popular due to there being so many students. I think the jocks throwing the band kids in the trash cans doesn't happen here like it does back in Indianapolis. As long as your daughter is willing to be open she will be fine. She has to be the brave one. She can't expect to walk of campus and have ten people walk up to her and say "Welcome to our school, can I show you around!!!!" That WON'T happen. I know at my kid's school, they pass people they have never seen before or can't even remeber seeing everyday so most people won't even know she is new. If she is outgoing, she should find friends quickly. Sports, academic groups, school clubs, music groups, and other extracurriculars increase her opportunities to make new friends.

Best of luck, ask as many questions as possible in this important move.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County