Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2006, 10:19 AM

72 posts, read 434,227 times

Advertisements

Your most and least favorite South OC city (of the following choices) to live in (if you could afford to) and why:
Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Ladera Ranch, Mission Viejo, Aliso Viejo, Rancho Santa Margarita

Real Estate in these areas seem to be similarly priced to each other, and I was wondering what are the good and bad points of each city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2006, 02:01 PM

989 posts, read 5,923,606 times
The main thing to take into consideration is the heat. Eastern cities don't get the marine layer. Once you go east of Laguna Hills in the summer, the temperature booms!

Good luck on the move.

Old 11-08-2006, 03:49 AM

3 posts, read 14,873 times
I've lived in RSM for about 8 years and am pretty familiar with the south county area. Personally, it depends on what you're looking for, but really they are all pretty much the same. Here are some thoughts on each:

RSM: GREAT walking community.. lake.. small town feel with larger cities surrounding you.. beautiful and safe area.. plenty of shopping.. good schools and parent involvement... great family city... scenic surrounding area... NICE weather (not TOO hot in summer or too cold in winter... very moderate bc it's sort of nestled in the hills).. no commuting traffic driving through (mainly just RSM residents).. a lot of home size options (apts-condos-townhouses-homes) .. borders exclusive gated communities Dove Canyon and Coto de Casa

Mission Viejo: mostly 20-30 year old housing.. lake.. a few nice shopping/entertainment areas like the Shops at Mission Viejo and Kaleidescope.. closer to 5 freeway than RSM..

Ladera Ranch: nearly all new, stucco homes... not that much to do there yet because it's new... higher prices bc it's so new... a lot of young families

Laguna Niguel: nice area... higher prices... access to freeway and shopping nearby.. spread out area...

Laguna Hills: some new homes and many older homes and older residents (close to the retirement community)... nice area with enough access to shopping and transportation..

Aliso Viejo: very similar to LH and LN... a lot of new homes and families... nice area but higher prices for homes... decent access to nearby shopping and entertainment

South County overall: all of the areas are very close together and it really doesn't matter which one you pick. All the prices are relatively within the same range (an average home is 800,000-1,000,000 for a decent size; apts/condos range from 250,000-500,000)... value of homes increasing all the time though. Each of the areas are nice with the basic shopping and entertainment opportunities. AV, LH, LN are closer to the beach, but even RSM to the beach is 15-20 driving. This helps the weather which is fairly moderate throughout the year. Commuting time tends to be up though because there aren't that many upscale jobs within the immediate area.

Old 09-11-2008, 03:37 PM

56 posts, read 278,632 times
if you choose ladera, be prepared for some crazy HOAs.

Old 09-11-2008, 04:32 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
i would choose whichever dont have extra property taxes like mello roos and which have more reasonable hoas. that would probably point to Laguna Niguel, Mission Viejo, and Laguna Hills as they have been developed longer.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:24 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Don't like the south that much but if you count Irvine that would be my choice.I can't afford any of those cities,I can barley afford California in general.

Old 09-11-2008, 06:29 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
Well not considering my biased favorite (MV), my personal favorites would be this order:

Laguna Niguel, Laguna Hills, Ladera Ranch, Rancho Santa Margarita, Aliso Viejo

Again, this is just personal preference and the housing stock and landscape of the cities. Residents are essentially the same in every city. You won't notice any real cultural differences.

Old 09-12-2008, 02:22 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
All of those places are very simlar. You will not know when you leave one and enter the other unless you see a sign.

Old 09-12-2008, 05:19 PM

224 posts, read 956,960 times
Laguna Woods...that's where I live. I love the place.

Old 09-12-2008, 09:27 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,056 times
Personally my favorite city is right where I live, Los Alamitos. Great schools, close community, close to the beach and to freeways, shopping, LA, etc. I am not really that interested in living any farther south and having my house look like everyone else on my block. The only southern city I would even consider, if I could afford it, would be Newport Beach. I love established places with a little bit of history. If I can't live on the east coast this is where I will stay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County