Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-10-2008, 12:13 PM

9 posts, read 31,995 times

Advertisements

My husband will be working in downtown LA area. He will have a vehicle to drive provided for him by his employer. So, no worries about gas prices. I have done some research and we are thinking about living in Irvine. We have two children, want good schools, safe area, and community with bike trails and parks.

Irivine seems to have all of the above. Obviously, my husband's commute would be insane. About how long do you think it would take him to drive. For instance, if he didn't doesn't have a traditional work day. Would it be terrible?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-10-2008, 12:58 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,726,301 times
irvine to downtown with no traffic is about 1h hauling butt i would say. but there is always traffic, so you're looking more like 2hrs in traffic. each way.

there is a train avaiable that should go from that area to downtown. commute will be less frustrating, but probably take nearly as long.

honestly though its a very unreasonable proposition. there are much closer areas to downtown that will have good schools. i would post in the la forum. there are areas closer to LA with schools that are acceptable

for a commute about half of what you're looking at you may want to look in western orange county(cypress, east long beach, los alamitos, seal beach, cerritos). that area has good schools and a variety of options for parks and bike routes. two major regional parks are in the area in cerritos regional park and el dorado park(which also has a golf course and nature preserve). these are very suitable for both park activities, fishing, and biking.

Old 09-10-2008, 12:59 PM

9 posts, read 31,995 times
Thanks for your help!

Old 09-10-2008, 03:41 PM

47 posts, read 170,545 times
Just as an aside, the train is actually a great idea. If your husband is working IN downtown, the ride from the Tustin station (where I picked up for 4 yrs) to Union Station is just shy of an hour...though various times of year it can take 15-20 min longer due to train traffic in LA. From Union Station you can pick up the Red Line or one of several buses that will get you to most of the major office buildings in downtown.

Its not that bad actually IMO. Though I agree that there are areas that are good places to live closer to downtown. Specifically, I'd definitely look at the Los Alamitos/Rossmoor/Seal Beach area (where I grew up). The Los Al school district is great, family friendly, and you are very close to El Dorado park.

Old 09-10-2008, 07:40 PM

342 posts, read 1,924,076 times
Sounds like you should live in Pasadena.

Old 09-10-2008, 08:05 PM

110 posts, read 439,274 times
I do this commute every day by train. I just cannot recommend it to anyone....especially with kids. That said, if you HAVE to do this commute, train is the only way. It's still at least 1.5 hours round trip and more like 1.75 hours most days. 12 to 13 hours away from home a day is normal.

They finally finished the new parking structure in Irvine and it makes parking a breeze. If your husband will have a flexible schedule it won't kill him. If he is on a strict in and out time, the train's limited schedule can be annoying. Plus, anytime after 6:30 is 2 hours between trains. The monthly pass allows you to ride Metrolink and Amtrak. I find Amtrak to be very unreliable. Just yesterday the 5:10 from LA was canceled.

Again, I cannot recommend this commute. The little hair I had when I started is now a distant memory.

Old 09-11-2008, 08:57 AM

47 posts, read 170,545 times
I'm sorry to hear the train service has gotten worse...I was starting to get bad when I stopped taking it a few years back, but I was hoping there would be improvements :/

Old 09-11-2008, 11:43 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,150,283 times
starting next year i believe, metrolink will begin running trains much more frequently (every 30 minutes) and over longer periods of time during the day from OC to LA. That may help you out a bit.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:59 PM

56 posts, read 277,993 times
my husband takes the train into downtown LA from the Laguna Niguel station. It is better than trying to drive in...gas would be expensive and the traffic is always heavy and always stressful. if you have to live in ornage county and commute to LA, the train is the only way. but beware. after 2 years of looong days, at least 12 hour days, commuting can really take its toll. also, if you have a family emergency, and your husband needs to get home...he wouldnt be able to just hop in his car and come back. its a whole ordeal. it can work, but it has its cons...definitely.

pasadena is really cute. we lived in la but got tired of it quickly. its a concrete jungle...no place for a family.

Old 09-13-2008, 01:37 AM

15,083 posts, read 20,436,223 times
Others have referenced Pasadena. I second that consideration.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County