Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-23-2008, 06:57 PM

104 posts, read 445,289 times

Advertisements

I am hopefully going to transfer to UCB for fall 2009 and I was wondering if anyone on this thread transferred there or is in the process of doing so. I want to know what airport do you recommend using when going to Berkeley, Long Beach, Lax or John Wayne and where I should land in Oakland or SF? I am unfamiliar with the Berkeley area and I am so used to the Orange County lifestyle that I would want to fly in every weekend to come back home. I am transferring from the Cypress College Honors program and I have attended OCC, GWC, Coastline, SCC and etc. I just wanted to have some insight from fellow students, any info on Berkeley is greatly appreciated!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-23-2008, 09:22 PM

13 posts, read 41,888 times
Default go bears

when i was at UCB, i'd fly out of oakland simply out of convenience. i'm sure SF has more flight options, but if you're just going to OC you'll be fine flying in and out of oakland. jet blue rocks. not sure it goes to OC though. LA definitely.

i graduated in 1997 and i'm still daydreaming about my days at berkeley. consider yourself lucky to be going there. you'll meet the most inspiring and INSPIRED professors. and the food . . . what can i say? nothing compares to the choices berkeley has to offer. not even NYC (i lived there for a few years after i left berkeley in '97). i lived in the dorms, in north berkeley, and south of campus. got to know the place very well. i welcome any questions!

good luck!

Old 09-24-2008, 12:44 AM

Doyou miss the asian ghetto and 24 hour sushi? ahhaah I recently went up north and I saw all these bums nd etc and I did not like it at all, but what I did like was the beautiful classrooms and the size of the campus, it reminded me of an ivy league school which was a big plus. I really want to go to Berkeley because they have a great math program, but I also need to be close to home because my parents need help at home. I was considering UCLA and I was just thinking that UCLA is two hours away with traffic and an hour away without and I assumed that Oakland by plane is about an hour away which is about the same, but I just have to take the Train to Oakland and etc. But I just wanted to know as a UCB alumni is it realistic to fly back home every weekend? And also has UCB given you great opportunities that you believe other UCs wouldn't have offered?

Old 09-24-2008, 01:02 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,322,740 times
Fly home every weekend? Are you made of money? If you need to stay close to OC, UCLA is the way to go. You can hop in the car and be home in 1-3 hours depending on traffic on the spur of the moment. Flying requires a lot more advance planning unless you own your own plane. I believe Southwest flies between Oakland and OC about as cheap as anyone but its going to add up quick.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:13 AM

I understand that it does cost money to fly and I am not worried about the money, what matters most to me is the quality of the education and Berkeley is tops. I just want to know if there is anyone out there who works or goes to school up north and comes back home every weekend and what is it like or is it just too much? I did search on jet blue and they have basically the same flights every week which is around 69 - 89 one way so its about 150 round trip excluding tax and etc, but once again money is no problem. I know that UCLA is also a great school, but to me I'd rather go to UCI if it was distance I was looking for.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:42 PM

yes, the berkeley name definitely carries weight when interviewing--at least on the east coast it has. although i would think if you stay in calif. then UCLA would get your foot in the door just as easily. if an excellent education is your priority, berkeley should be at the top of your list. if your priority is proximity to home, i wouldn't count on the cheap, direct flights from OAK to So Cal. as someone else pointed out, flights take more planning, etc. if you need to be home every weekend, i would most definitely NOT leave So Cal.

Old 09-24-2008, 01:50 PM

yeah, "bums" in the bay area didn't bother me. i grew up in humboldt county. plenty of them there and they're like any group of people: some are looking for trouble, some are friendly but most keep to themselves.

oh, and don't let the beautiful classrooms and campus sweep you away. you'll be too busy studying to care much about that stuff once you're there. another reason to stay closer to home. that would suck to have the UCB workload weighing on you while at home in OC every weekend. even as an english major (i'm sure math is even more rigorous), i needed my weekends to catch up and do research in the libraries. i don't know anyone who was able to go home every weekend.

Old 09-24-2008, 02:43 PM

Did the Berkeley semester system help out with the study habits that you guys had over there? I just hate hearing my friends complain about how they have a midterm two weeks into the quarter which is why I would dread going to UCLA. But then again both UCLA and UCB are two different school environments, but I am still leaning towards UCB. If I do consider UCLA I would not go in as a math major, but as an econ major specifically because I can't surpass a certain amount of units and if I complete the prereqs for math for UCLA i would have too many units and I would not be accepted =( Does anyone know the transfer admission rates for econ majors to UCLA and what site I can go to see these stats?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County