Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 08:30 PM

9,807 posts, read 11,134,777 times

Advertisements

This lame, tired, thread was resurrected simply to flame OC along the lines of "Costa Mesa is str8 up geto man therez gangz and other racismsts" (perhaps by the same person) and reminds me of the lame thread that included discussions on the danger that an African American woman might face if she drove through OC to Disneyland. The thread discussed, mostly tongue-in-cheek, whether that lady would even survive in OC! We learned that -- wait for it -- she survived in OC and there were no problems! Who could have imagined?

Yes, folks from 909 cause many problems in HB, rather like those heading to CA's equivalent of Daytona.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 11:21 PM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
No should be subjected to hate.
No one should have their neighborhood invaded

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM

3,265 posts, read 3,927,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Now its the white people that had better be out of down by sunset.
OK, that's pretty funny !!!

Old 04-21-2014, 11:05 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
No one should have their neighborhood invaded
Invaded? This is the USA. We all have the right to live anywhere we want. If you want to live anywhere, and you have that right, you can. If you want to live in a place where there are no Black people, that is your choice. However, a Black man also has that same choice, so don't be surprised to see a Black man choosing to live in an near all-White area. There are Black people doing that now.

My thinking is this. Want to move to my neighborhood? Go ahead. I don't care what color or ethnicity you are. Just be a good citizen and behave yourself. However, I can tell be this statement that you don't think that way.

Old 04-21-2014, 11:10 AM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ysr_racer View Post
OK, that's pretty funny !!!
The true definition of a sundown town is this. It is a place where people of a certain ethnicity were not allowed to live in and were required by law to leave "by sundown". By law, anyone can live in Huntington Beach, if one has the money to buy a house there. By law, you can buy a house anywhere if you have the money. However, whether or not you will be safe is a different matter. There is a difference between "you aren't allowed here" vs "it isn't safe here".

Old 04-21-2014, 04:35 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Well if you don't like it don't visit. I just wish most of the people from the 909 would also stay away.

Last edited by bhcompy; 04-22-2014 at 05:10 PM.. Reason: language

Old 04-21-2014, 06:29 PM

1,557 posts, read 3,304,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anja T View Post
1970s - 1990s Anaheim: East Anaheim was the nice, affluent area. Downtown Anaheim was the nasty, scummy, sketchy, scary area of town and strictly Mexican. There was urban renewal in the late 80s to give the Downtown area a face lift, but the residents ran it down into the ground as soon as it was finished. It is difficult to tell it was ever made over.

Disney owns Anaheim, the city council, mayor and cops. How things are done in Anaheim depends on what Disney Corp wants. Disney owns Disneyland, CA Adventure, part of the Angels stadium, part of the Angels baseball team, the Mighty Ducks (based on a Disney movie) and the Pond where the Ducks play. Disney brings in huge tax dollars to Anaheim so of course they can throw their weight around.

HBPD - has the WORST reputation for all cities in OC for police brutality. The 70s-present are marked by lawsuit after lawsuit for beating people, tasing them while they are cuffed and in the back of car, harassing non-white people who come into the city and running them out.

I had friends of mine who wanted to buy a house in OC. I told them, "You are African-American. You can not buy in HB. It is not allowed. You will be run out on a rail by the cops." They did not believe me. They came to HB to look for a house. They drove around looking at listings and half an hour in the cops started tailing them and did not leave their bumper until they crossed the HB city limits to leave HB. They were shaken and told me later, "We thought you were kidding. Apparently you were telling us the truth." No, duh! You can not be African-American and live in HB free of police harassment. It is not possible!

In the 80s someone called 911 from the sand in HB to say, "There is a black guy down here waving a gun!" The HB police scrambled and they had cops running all over the sand looking for the nonexistent armed man. They found a man from South Africa holding a big radio. The cops shouted to him, "Freeze." He turned around to see what was going on and who they were talking to. He was shot several times with a shotgun blast. Luckily, the radio absorbed a lot of the buckshot and he did not die. He lay on the sand moaning in agony. His wife from Panama screamed and tried to crawl to him. The cops put their boot on the back of her neck and handcuffed her. The wife was taken to jail. The wounded man was taken to the hospital and then jail. A judge ordered the woman freed at her hearing. The man was never tried for carrying a gun because "the gun" was a radio. The couple sued HB City and the police department, but they lost. The judge said, "You are not a citizen. You are not entitled to sue." This does not seem like a fair legal finding to me. Who said you must be a citizen to sue for police brutality, unlawful detention and attempted murder? Who made that rule? Last I recall that was not the rule. This set off public unrest, protests, mobs screaming at the police/spitting on the police and massive backlash against the HB mayor, city council and the police. No one was fired. No one quit.

The rest of OC became enraged at what happened in HB, but this is only ONE case. There are MORE! If you were to look into the history of police brutality against whites and non-whites you would see it is heavily weighted to punish those who are non-white. However, you can still have plenty of brutal run ins with the HB cops even if you are white.

HB used to host a big 4th July of bash where the locals got tanked up on pot, alcohol, coke and you name it then they walked around on Main Street, at the Pier at the tents for the surf contests, vendors, food booths and what not on the sand. Some years the people rioted due to being drunk and having run ins with the cops. Cars were set on fire or turned upside and/or both. Sofas were pulled out into the street and set on fire. The streets were burning. Scads on rioters went to jail.

One year there was a bikini contest and a man reached up to the stage and untied the bikini top of a contestant. She was shocked and didn't immediately tie her top so her breasts were showing. The drunk men in front of stage surged onto the stage to grab her breasts. Security tried to keep them at bay, but it was no use. The bikini contest girls ran in all directions to get away. The cops were called to restore order because the men went nuts tearing up the place. The cops came and people ran down the beach with the cops in pursuit. A friend of my sister was lying on the beach on her towel. She was unaware of what was happening. She heard noise so she got up and cop ran up to her and began beating her with his baton. She began to screaming at him, "What are you doing? Why are you doing this?" He replied that she was part of the mob. She told him no she wasn't and that they were standing on her towel. He stopped and ran after other people. She saw the riot on TV when she got home.

The cops used their batons on people that day even though it is forbidden. No one was fired or disciplined. There are no repercussions for being brutal if you are a HB cop. The only recourse a person has it to sue civilly. The OC D.A.'s office does not bring charges against OC cops. They want the cops to help them put people away so they are not going to bite the hand that feeds them. If you are roughed up by an OC cop....you can only sue in civil court. You will never see criminal charges brought by the D.A.'s office. No way. The D.A. is not interested in civil rights violations. The only time I have seen the D.A. prosecute for a hate crime is when a gay man was brutalized by a civilian after he came out of a gay bar in Laguna Beach. The man was beaten by 2 college boys with latent homosexual tendencies so they felt threatened by gay men and decided to do some gay bashing that day. The victim had his face smashed into the rocks at the beach over and over and over until his face was like hamburger and he was unrecognizable. The young men went to prison on a hate crime charge, but this kind of crime is rarely tried by the D.A.'s office. I am sure hate crimes happen more often, but the D.A. does not try them. I find this a bit fishy.
I remember these cases. You are telling the truth. To understand the root cause of this is Orange County's deeply paranoid relationship with its neighbor Los Angeles. Technically OC is part of metro Los Angeles but if you point this out in front of someone from OC they will get angry. NOT ALL but many people in OC associate LA=democrat, liberal, black, gay or non christian. Some of the most fearful/bigoted people I ever met were from places like Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, and San Clemente and a lot of those peoples ancestry was from the deeply conservative upper midwest.

Old 04-22-2014, 01:39 AM

579 posts, read 761,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Invaded? This is the USA. We all have the right to live anywhere we want. If you want to live anywhere, and you have that right, you can. If you want to live in a place where there are no Black people, that is your choice. However, a Black man also has that same choice, so don't be surprised to see a Black man choosing to live in an near all-White area. There are Black people doing that now.

My thinking is this. Want to move to my neighborhood? Go ahead. I don't care what color or ethnicity you are. Just be a good citizen and behave yourself. However, I can tell be this statement that you don't think that way.
You live in a fairy tale where White people can live in an all-Black area.

Old 04-22-2014, 06:44 AM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red_Devil View Post
You live in a fairy tale where White people can live in an all-Black area.
The irony is if whitey moves into an all black area, its no longer an all black area.

And I know plenty of whites that live in black neighborhoods.

Old 04-22-2014, 08:26 AM

1,224 posts, read 1,823,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matzoman View Post
I remember these cases. You are telling the truth. To understand the root cause of this is Orange County's deeply paranoid relationship with its neighbor Los Angeles. Technically OC is part of metro Los Angeles but if you point this out in front of someone from OC they will get angry. NOT ALL but many people in OC associate LA=democrat, liberal, black, gay or non christian. Some of the most fearful/bigoted people I ever met were from places like Mission Viejo, Newport Beach, and San Clemente and a lot of those peoples ancestry was from the deeply conservative upper midwest.
^This is completely inaccurate. In general people in South OC don't consider themselves part of "LA" because OC culturally, and economically created its own identity in the past few decades, not because of any "fear" of blacks or gays. OC has a huge job base of its own so the amount of people who commute to LA proper for work is a LOT less than it was even 15 years ago. In fact according to City-Data the average work commute from my area is only 26 minutes, which implies those work commutes stay in OC. Also, we have our own entertainment and restaurants and don't have to go to LA County like back in the 80s and 90s when South OC was still just a few tracts of housing and schools. We can go to the theatre at SC Plaza, we have the Ducks and Angels, we have big UFC cards at the Honda Center, our beaches are just as good, if not cleaner than LA and way less crowded, every variety of ethnic restaurant in North OC from Filipino to Pakistani. So in general, going to LA is not a necessity for entertainment as it may have been 20-30 years ago.

As for the other stuff about South OC people being bigoted, and scared of blacks, gays, and non-Christians, that's total malarkey. This is 2014, not 1964. Another guy talking out of his ass based on stereotypes that are no longer true for the general population of OC. Sure there may be a few isolated racist and bigots, but you get those even in "democrat liberal bastion" Los Angeles. Also places like Laguna Beach are full of gays, and Laguna Beach had the first openly gay mayor in the U.S. How the heck is South OC scared of gays?

Last edited by ExeterMedia; 04-22-2014 at 08:35 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County