Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-02-2008, 05:46 PM

1 posts, read 29,515 times

Advertisements

Help,
I want to add onto the house. There is a 30 yr old palm tree within
6 feet of the new addition. Is this to close? will the roots
damage the concrete foundation? Should I have it removed?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2008, 08:46 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
You can sell it. Many landscapers will come remove it, plant a new one (if you want) and give you money too. Depending on the type, some older palms are worth a small fortune. Others are just large weeds that will cost a small fortune to get rid of.

I think tha tpalm tree roots go mostly down. But they are soft and flexible and the wind may blow the tree up against your house, especially the santa ana winds.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:45 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
You also have to worry about roof rats when you have plants/trees that are close to your roof line.

Old 10-02-2008, 11:23 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
You can sell it. Many landscapers will come remove it, plant a new one (if you want) and give you money too. Depending on the type, some older palms are worth a small fortune. Others are just large weeds that will cost a small fortune to get rid of.

I think tha tpalm tree roots go mostly down. But they are soft and flexible and the wind may blow the tree up against your house, especially the santa ana winds.
Agreed.

I work for a municipal planning department and I have heard various stories about how much people will pay for a mature palm tree. I once was on an inspection for a new single-family residence and I saw three relatively mature Queen palms. They weren't native to the location and I asked the superintendent on the job site about them. He told me the homeowner paid $20,000 for each one. I thought he was BSing me but he said it with a straight face. Judging by the size of the house and the neighborhood, I couldn't think of a reason to doubt it.

I don't know if you'll get that kind of money, but 1/4 of that amount will help pay for the addition. Condition, type, and appearance will be a factor. Ask your local nursery.

Old 10-04-2008, 10:02 AM

395 posts, read 1,716,350 times
Sometimes I wonder if landscaping trees come in cycles. Years previous, I've remembered yucca was the rage. Now, many who have yuccas, including myself, are taking them down. Also, years previous, garden variety palms were planted until the owners found they grow like a weed along w/ the high cost of maintenance. In recent years, queens and sagos were the rage. For awhile, there were news items of sagos being stolen right from the front yard. The thieves would yank them out w/a chain tied to a PU.
Still, it looks like sagos and queens may have a longer run since, it seems, these palms seem to have lower maintenance. So, if it is the garden variety palm, it will cost you for removal.

Old 10-04-2008, 12:03 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
What kind of palm tree do I see everywhere that's often growing anywhere a seed dropped, like a crack in the sidewalk or in unlandscaped land along the freeway? There's usually a bunch of dead fronds just below the green ones and the dead ones often extend all the way to the ground. Even when the trunk is not covered with dead fronds, it looks like its covered with pieces of dead frond stalks. I can't find any pictures online but I Googled king, queen, and sago and that's not it.

Old 10-04-2008, 06:34 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,606,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
What kind of palm tree do I see everywhere that's often growing anywhere a seed dropped, like a crack in the sidewalk or in unlandscaped land along the freeway? There's usually a bunch of dead fronds just below the green ones and the dead ones often extend all the way to the ground. Even when the trunk is not covered with dead fronds, it looks like its covered with pieces of dead frond stalks. I can't find any pictures online but I Googled king, queen, and sago and that's not it.
That is the native California Fan palm\ washingtonia. If you have one fan palm you will quickly get hundreds of palms unless you cut them out. Fan palms literally grow in cracks next to the freeway!

Palms do very well in California & roots don't seem to be a problem but a large Canary Island Palm can be home to both rats & pigeons yet they sell for big bucks if you want to get rid of one. King palms are nice & royal & majesty palms are becoming more popular as well.

Old 10-05-2008, 12:27 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,438,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
That is the native California Fan palm\ washingtonia. If you have one fan palm you will quickly get hundreds of palms unless you cut them out. Fan palms literally grow in cracks next to the freeway!

Palms do very well in California & roots don't seem to be a problem but a large Canary Island Palm can be home to both rats & pigeons yet they sell for big bucks if you want to get rid of one. King palms are nice & royal & majesty palms are becoming more popular as well.
Thanks. I just looked it up and the ones I asked about are indeed the California fan palms. They look like big weeds to me.

Old 06-14-2015, 02:49 PM

6 posts, read 24,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Thanks. I just looked it up and the ones I asked about are indeed the California fan palms. They look like big weeds to me.

What did you end up doing with your palm trees? Were you able to sell them? Or did you have to pay to have them professionally removed?

I have some very tall palms too close to my house. I am a little worried. I'd like to learn from your experience to see what you did. Thank you.

Old 06-15-2015, 12:51 AM

823 posts, read 1,783,703 times
Palm trees tend to have shallow, fibrous roots, not deep woody roots that can lift up and break concrete and foundations. The real question might be how the digging affects the tree. I would remove it
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County