Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-17-2008, 12:44 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times

Advertisements

Laguna Beach for sure... But not much night life. That's true for all of OC. San Diego's a little better, but not as nice.

My town (RSM) was overrun by conservatives waving their No on Prop 8 signs all over town pre Nov. 4th. Couldn't stand it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-17-2008, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngmoney View Post
I support prop 8. I think marriage is between a man and a women. That doesn't mean gays can't live near me. Being gay isn't illegal; Crossing the border without documents is, and we have a ton of them here.
Barf!!!
Come to think of it...
You may consider the Westside of LA...

Old 11-17-2008, 06:24 PM

48 posts, read 102,968 times
So I am reading these posts and am getting the impression that Orange County is pretty homophobic. Is that a true generalization? or am I just getting the wrong impression.
The reason I ask is that I am considering moving to Orange County, particularly Southern Orange County, from Seattle next summer. Seattle is a pretty gay friendly city and people are fairly open about it. It's nice in that respect, but the people up here are rather cold and flaky. So, I'm looking for an area a little more on the friendly side in general, but not homophobic.

Old 11-18-2008, 10:07 AM

Homophobic, yes. Conservative, right wing, mega-church Christians. OC is definitely not friendly if that's what you're looking for. Also, you may miss the Pacific Northwest environmentally conscious mentality. You'll see a lot of soccer moms in their Hummers, on the phone, and drinking their Starbucks down here. Recession???? Who says! Clueless!

I'd consider Colorado for more sun, and four seasons...

Old 11-18-2008, 10:21 AM

70 posts, read 216,504 times
Default So if you HAVE to move to OC

Which is a better place for an older gay couple (who really have mostly straight friends and don't go out much. Laguna Beach traffic is TOO much for us):

South Irvine
East Costa Mesa
West Laguna Niguel
South Aliso Viejo

Input from any and all is welcome!!!

Old 11-18-2008, 11:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Except East Costa Mesa, the areas are pretty much identical. East Costa Mesa is an older community and not quite as popular for families. You may get a younger crowd there. A lot of people are beach lovers who cannot afford the beach communities.

Old 11-18-2008, 11:37 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
West Laguna Niguel

Pretty much any decent neighborhood in South OC will be non-hazardous to gays.... I mean, it sure as hell won't be like moving next door to Fred Phelps in Wichita. Some areas may be less outgoing towards you, like the preacher and his wife were to their "suspect" new neighbors in the film Loggerheads. (did you see that one?)

Old 11-18-2008, 07:24 PM

810 posts, read 2,160,708 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BearLaker View Post
Which is a better place for an older gay couple (who really have mostly straight friends and don't go out much. Laguna Beach traffic is TOO much for us):

South Irvine
East Costa Mesa
West Laguna Niguel
South Aliso Viejo

Input from any and all is welcome!!!

I guess aliso is gay-friendly??? I wonder about the area around UC Irvine?
I guess gay-friendly enough. I believe the area voted no on 8. not sure about other older couples around there. especially the ones not affiliated with the university. I'm not intimately familiar with Irvine, and OC. I'm sure someone else can comment on the University area. not sure if any of the University area qualifies as south irvine. is the northern border of the university area the 405, michelson?

Old 11-18-2008, 07:41 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
No one really wants gays in their neighborhoods. Even in San Francisco some people are not happy with the influx of gays.

Old 11-18-2008, 07:50 PM

1,273 posts, read 4,417,827 times
Default gays

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Laguna Beach for sure... But not much night life. That's true for all of OC. San Diego's a little better, but not as nice.

My town (RSM) was overrun by conservatives waving their No on Prop 8 signs all over town pre Nov. 4th. Couldn't stand it.
No on Proposition 8 meant that you were for preserving gay marriage. You are not a good christian, nor a good parent, if you believe that gay marriage is right. Do you know what has happened in Massachusetts?

Also, I wish the homosexuals would stop protesting and harrasing Latter-day Saints and LDS temples. I was walking into my ward on Sunday when someone in a car screamed **** ***. I cannot believe that if the vote had gone the other way people would be protesting, vandalizing, and sending letters with powder in them to homosexual centers.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County