Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2008, 07:08 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,524 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodbyehollywood View Post
Home prices are still not in line with incomes, so that would indicate that further declines are likely. While desirable parts of SoCal may always command premium pricing, a 5+ multiple is still too high. I believe there's more downside.
This is what people keep saying but ... I seriously doubt coastal prices are going to get down to 3 times income like a lot of people are hoping for in the decent neighborhoods.

An income multiplier is basically arbitrary. What matters is what people are willing to pay and if they can get the mortgage. If someone has a lot of cash to put down or, they don't have much debt and qualify for a higher mortgage and can afford the payment then ... that's what's going to drive the market.

It doesn't matter if a bunch of people move to Texas if there's just any many people willing to pay to stay in OC ... especially if there's only so much inventory left to buy anyway.

Last edited by sheri257; 12-11-2008 at 07:44 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-11-2008, 09:42 AM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
In Alabama the taxes are ridiculously low (though food is taxed). However, little things like community landscaping, underground utilities, lots of convenient roadway signs, are lacking. I hate to write this, but I wish my taxes were raised sometimes to benefit from more of these conveniences. May just be a cultural thing.
Yeah ... cheap also has it's price. I grew up in New Orleans where there were no property taxes so the infrastructure suffered and, of course, we all know what happened with Katrina. Even before that disaster the city was flooding on a routine basis.

Old 11-13-2012, 10:38 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
1 in 3 buyers can afford O.C. home | percent, home, quarter - Business - The Orange County Register

Old 11-13-2012, 10:42 AM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,325 times
We've been seeing home prices skyrocket in Orange County this year. I've been talking to a lot of homeowners that didn't even realize their homes are worth what they are now.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:52 AM

471 posts, read 601,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
We've been seeing home prices skyrocket in Orange County this year. I've been talking to a lot of homeowners that didn't even realize their homes are worth what they are now.
yep, skyrocket, all on cheap money and low inventory, nothing substantial or sustainable to support the rise otherwise. Skyrocketing prices are bad because they are a mark of instability.

Modest gains are sustainable. "Skyrocketing" prices are not, see every other boom bust cycle.

Once interest rates rise in a year or two most of the gains will be wiped out. Just going from 3% interest to 5% interest is like getting a 30% increase in home prices. Go from 3 to 7% and you'd see a 20% reduction from today's prices at best.

If you are buying for the long term, you should be ok, (long term means more than 5 years). Just understand the risk. Just don't buy expecting your home to be a personal ATM, or out of Realtor(TM) induced fear and bullying of "buy now or be priced out forever", "it's different this time", "we're special". RealtorsTM were singing those lines 7 years ago and drove many into homes they couldn't afford and hurt many families and an economy. An unprecedented fiscal crisis is approaching and their is nothing on the horizon to drive sales beyond interest rates and artificially low inventory. When prices only rise on a trillion dollar goose from the Federal Reserve, you have an unbalanced market. It won't happen forever and the demographics do not bear out over the next thirty years.

Adjusted for real terms (i.e. interest rate normalization, prices have not risen at all) Once interest rates rise, appreciation will likely stop and even reverse once again.

RealtorsTM, its always a good time to buy or sell a home (i.e. its always a good time to make a comission!)

Last edited by GoldenZephyr; 11-13-2012 at 12:05 PM..

Old 11-13-2012, 12:46 PM

193 posts, read 458,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Van Fossen View Post
Guess what that means? HELOC time.. then more foreclosures... the cycle starts over. People never learn.

Old 11-13-2012, 01:59 PM

1,083 posts, read 2,171,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenZephyr View Post
yep, skyrocket, all on cheap money and low inventory, nothing substantial or sustainable to support the rise otherwise. Skyrocketing prices are bad because they are a mark of instability.

Modest gains are sustainable. "Skyrocketing" prices are not, see every other boom bust cycle.

Once interest rates rise in a year or two most of the gains will be wiped out. Just going from 3% interest to 5% interest is like getting a 30% increase in home prices. Go from 3 to 7% and you'd see a 20% reduction from today's prices at best.

If you are buying for the long term, you should be ok, (long term means more than 5 years). Just understand the risk. Just don't buy expecting your home to be a personal ATM, or out of Realtor(TM) induced fear and bullying of "buy now or be priced out forever", "it's different this time", "we're special". RealtorsTM were singing those lines 7 years ago and drove many into homes they couldn't afford and hurt many families and an economy. An unprecedented fiscal crisis is approaching and their is nothing on the horizon to drive sales beyond interest rates and artificially low inventory. When prices only rise on a trillion dollar goose from the Federal Reserve, you have an unbalanced market. It won't happen forever and the demographics do not bear out over the next thirty years.

Adjusted for real terms (i.e. interest rate normalization, prices have not risen at all) Once interest rates rise, appreciation will likely stop and even reverse once again.

RealtorsTM, its always a good time to buy or sell a home (i.e. its always a good time to make a comission!)
All good points, and very true. Buying a home is a big responsibility and realtors should be there to give helpful, real world advice to buyers who need it. Another problem during the bubble was all of the free money. I knew several people with less-than-good credit who took out 0% down loans on overpriced homes in south county.

Home buying should always be a long term investment for anyone but savvy, experienced RE investors. I agree that we will see a slowdown once interest rates go back up, but I don't think we'll be in the same situation that led to the rapid decline in home values, simply because qualifying for a loan is much harder now than it was then.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:26 PM

494 posts, read 1,917,616 times
Supposedly the OC median home price has registered an annual gain of 16% from last year... makes me think we have another bubble in the making due to investor speculation, ridiculously low interest rates and artificial supply-shortage caused by banks and this will end badly.

Isn't this type of thing what we just went through? Apparently lessons have not been learned. People talk about this being a housing "recovery"! This is laughable. A true housing recovery is when people can afford home prices based on a solid job market and incomes, and by afford I mean having a stable job, putting a decent amount down (15-20%), having 8 months of reserves and not spending more than 25-30% of your gross income towards all housing related costs.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:31 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducviloxi View Post
and by afford I mean having a stable job, putting a decent amount down (15-20%), having 8 months of reserves and not spending more than 25-30% of your gross income towards all housing related costs.
It hasn't been that way in OC in a long time and likely never will be again, not as long as the world's wealthy all want some property here.

Old 11-19-2012, 03:52 PM

3,853 posts, read 12,869,001 times
Quote:
Isn't this type of thing what we just went through? Apparently lessons have not been learned. People talk about this being a housing "recovery"! This is laughable. A true housing recovery is when people can afford home prices based on a solid job market and incomes, and by afford I mean having a stable job, putting a decent amount down (15-20%), having 8 months of reserves and not spending more than 25-30% of your gross income towards all housing related costs.
Seems like most of the people I know spend 50% on housing related costs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County