Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-24-2008, 09:46 AM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times

Advertisements

Orange County is full of trucks. I moved away earlier this year, and I do NOT miss the throngs of super-aggressive young men in huge black trucks driving like maniacs. It was like some unwritten rule there: young man turns 16, gets some massive truck, drives like an absolute a-hole.

I moved to Naperville, Illinois. Far fewer trucks here, so I don't know about the correlation with conservative attitudes. I just know I don't miss those drivers a bit.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2008, 12:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,497,936 times
When someone named "youngmoney" posts about Pick-up trucks, calling OC a "hard working" republican society...I just have to laugh at the picture presented.

BTW People in OC who have trucks are not plumbers and electricians (those people live in Riverside)..people in OC use trucks to haul their toys in it, that they can afford by working an office job.

The correlation of pickups to republicans might work in Texas, but in OC, pickup trucks can mean anything from a 18 year college surfer to a 45 year old hauling a dirt-bike any of which could have voted Demo.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:06 PM

800 posts, read 4,297,991 times
Yeah, what you drives tells people what your political affliliation is LOL

ROTFLMAO...

Old 11-24-2008, 02:17 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,131,207 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Abashi View Post
People who drive trucks tend to be conservative, your right about that one. I have noticed that San Diego is even more into trucks, and has tons of military; at least north county.

Even though I live around Oceanside nearly walking distance from the world's largest marine base, I'm not particularly fond of trucks, guns, military, or Republicans.

No surprise, I voted for Obama; and NO ON 8. I'm surprised that the county went to Obama, its probably the Mexicans your talking about.
I have to chuckle here:

I live in Arizona; drive an older 10-12 MPG Suburban and am a registered Republican.

My SUV is paid for and my roundtrip commute is 10 miles a day
I voted for Obama due to my distrust of Palin being one heartbeat away from the Oval Office
And I voted against Prop 202 (the Az equivalent of Calif's 8)

Old 11-24-2008, 02:28 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,035,633 times
I grew up in CA and lived in OC for most of my life and I always thought OC was primarily Republican.

My son drives a big black truck and he's a democrat.

I'm not sure where the OP is getting their info.

Old 11-24-2008, 02:42 PM

14,164 posts, read 27,225,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
When someone named "youngmoney" posts about Pick-up trucks, calling OC a "hard working" republican society...I just have to laugh at the picture presented.

BTW People in OC who have trucks are not plumbers and electricians (those people live in Riverside)..people in OC use trucks to haul their toys in it, that they can afford by working an office job.

The correlation of pickups to republicans might work in Texas, but in OC, pickup trucks can mean anything from a 18 year college surfer to a 45 year old hauling a dirt-bike any of which could have voted Demo.

My experience in OC seemed to be that many people drive huge pickups and SUVs because they "think they look bad-a@@", when they really just look stupid. Like my next door neighbor who drove a Suburban with heavy duty trailer hitch, even though she never hauled anything and barely had the skills to back it out of her parking space, let alone pull a trailer. Or the idiots in the way jacked up pickups, where the bumper is at about roof level of the average car - you know only an a@@h@le would drive those stupid things. And it always looks like the same jerk driving them - chubby white boy, backwards baseball cap, cargo shorts, t-shirt, flip flops, Oakleys, goatee- you know the dude!

The other thing I noticed is how many people in OC will drive a $45K pickup or SUV, then live in a dumpy apartment with 5 roommates because they can't afford a decent place to live after their $500 car pament and $100 a week for gas

Pickups in Denver seem to be for people who actually need them for their jobs, not a status symbol.

Old 11-24-2008, 04:16 PM

51 posts, read 240,088 times
I have another thesis- In predominately Asian neighborhoods, you'll usually see Hondas and Toyotas and the occasional Bimmer now and then, but in white neighborhoods, you'll find Domestic cars and trucks and the sometimes Toyota Prius now and then.

Old 11-24-2008, 06:39 PM

25,901 posts, read 42,697,277 times
No, I think that hinges more on wealth and political leaning, although race might also be a factor. In less affluent areas, people just drive what they can afford or what they could get a loan on at the dealer. And in more liberal areas like SF, Carmel, Monterey, I bet you see a lot more Priuses than Hummers, regardless of race.

Old 11-25-2008, 12:29 AM

49 posts, read 203,026 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJulia View Post
I do NOT miss the throngs of super-aggressive young men in huge black trucks driving like maniacs. It was like some unwritten rule there: young man turns 16, gets some massive truck, drives like an absolute a-hole.
LOL right!

Old 11-25-2008, 01:28 AM

1,504 posts, read 6,151,633 times
Rural residents are usually Republican and urban dwellers are Democratic. There is a lot more utility in a truck for a person with a house on a 2 acre lot than for someone who lives in a 500 sf studio.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County