Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-28-2008, 02:06 PM

51 posts, read 240,040 times

Advertisements

I live in Orange County for 5 years now, and living here you'll notice the general demographics of this place. For starters, there's hardy any black folks around here, especially south Orange County. My friend goes to UCIrvine, and she told me that the only black person living in Irvine was killed in a drive-by shooting a couple years back near the apartments off the 405. And walking around the Irvine Spectrum, you'll see Whites, Asians, Arabs, a sprinkling of Mexicans here and there, but that's it. Hardly any blacks down there. Is Orange County hostile to blacks or blacks wouldn't set foot in south Orange County?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-28-2008, 02:11 PM

213 posts, read 744,615 times
There's many reasons why, yet its still odd. Because people of different races like to be around those they're familiar with like asians and asians, hispanics and hispanics etc... So since they're is not already a set population there than not many are going to move there.

Old 11-28-2008, 02:32 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,734,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AzianCalFullertonStudent View Post
Is Orange County hostile to blacks or blacks wouldn't set foot in south Orange County?
Which person is more likely to be a victim? A black guy walking down the street in south Orange County or a white guy walking down the street in a 90% black neighborhood in Los Angeles?

Old 11-28-2008, 02:54 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,758,544 times
modern southern california is very self-segregated. its just the nature of things. one of the only middleclass+ suburban cities i can think of with a growing black community is lakewood. for the most part, the communities go one way and stay that way. look at cerritos for instance, very affluent and well run city. good schools. you'd think it would be desireable for any person that could afford it. yet, its still predominantly asian(lots of koreans and japanese, some filipinos) and it has been for the 20-30 years ive been in the area, as have most other cities be them white, black, mexican, whatever

Old 11-28-2008, 05:04 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,700,834 times
Races tend to live in seperate communities. OC does not have a black community.

Old 11-28-2008, 06:21 PM

619 posts, read 2,167,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Which person is more likely to be a victim? A black guy walking down the street in south Orange County or a white guy walking down the street in a 90% black neighborhood in Los Angeles?
and that says it all....how can you argue with that?

Old 11-28-2008, 08:03 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JakeInSoCal View Post
There's many reasons why, yet its still odd. Because people of different races like to be around those they're familiar with like asians and asians, hispanics and hispanics etc... So since they're is not already a set population there than not many are going to move there.
That ain't it! It's the same reason you don't see many Blacks in San Fran, Seattle, San Diego...it's to damn expensive! Period! Even the white people are headed to Idaho. Pretty soon it will only be the very rich Arabs. lol! Just being a bit sarcastic put you PC stick back in your purse or pocket.

Old 11-28-2008, 08:06 PM

359 posts, read 1,312,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Probably the white guy, but it has nothing to do with race it has to do with POVERTY. I just wonder if you were trying to say something without saying something. I can't imagine any white person living in OC needing to jack a Black guy for anything. Again nothing to do with race just economics. Hell there are black well off black people who know that if they are caught in the wrong BLACK neighborhood with their expensive car and nice clothes and bling, they are going to get jacked too!

Old 11-28-2008, 09:04 PM

9,963 posts, read 18,493,695 times
I miss black people, one big difference between living here or the East Coast is definetly how many Black and Hispanics there are, and most of which are very intelligent too.

I think a lot of it has to do with culture, there's just nothing to attract the AA people to a surf, skate and punk rock, and country club culture OC.

Although, there seems to be more black people in Irvine out by Woodbury Plaza...especially shopping at Ralphs and at the Trader Joe's but they don't seem to eat at the restaurants. I think some black people live in Irvine because they are here for a job and that is it.

Last edited by Mach50; 11-28-2008 at 09:13 PM..

Old 11-29-2008, 12:03 AM

12,767 posts, read 14,963,616 times
Here's one example. I've been visiting the upscale shopping mall, Fashion Island in Newport Beach about once a yr for the past decade & I see the same amt of Black people now that I saw then...each visit, I see one, maybe two walking around the mall. Then, I usually see only one Black employee out of the entire mall. Same way when I visit San Diego. I don't know why more Blacks don't live in these areas. There are a lot of rich Black people, so it's not just because those places are expensive to live so, there must be another reason.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County