U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-08-2008, 10:05 AM

9 posts, read 22,518 times

Advertisements

alright, I posted awhile back having questions about prices of renting in the newport area and i have gone on craigslist and contacted people on prices of places near the water..
I have got an overall perspective of that i would be spending somewhere around $2000.. possibly less, depending on if i find a cheaper place.

one day i was just browsing through craigslist and looking at prices of houses for rent in the west palm beach and surrounding area of florida..
i came across prices ranging from $800-1500..

i am looking to move in march for about 3 months (short term rental).. and i have visited west palm beach before for a few weeks and really enjoyed it.. the weather was nice and hot and the area had its somewhat nice parts. I have never visited california, let alone orange county in my life.. so i dont know what to expect minus what ive seen off of google and tv shows.

now, my question..
Is Orange county a better place to live then florida? (like am i being stupid paying proibably almost double to live in california over florida?)
I am also looking for it to be swimming weatehr wherever i go considering i will only be there for 3 months and not in the summer, so i want to enjoy myself while my trip lasts..
im looking for an answer if youve honestly been to both places, dont just tell me you like one better than the other when you havent been there..
haha, thanks so much.
give me your thoughts and i look forward to any replies. (**** eh, long thread)
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-08-2008, 10:25 AM

147 posts, read 546,077 times
For a 3 month stay of March, April and May, you'd probably enjoy South Florida more. The humidity, heat and the downpours don't settle in until the end of May. The Ocean in Florida is MUCH warmer than the Pacific is here. I recently moved from Florida to Orange County and am sure that it was a wise decision for a change of residency.

Old 12-08-2008, 10:44 AM

895 posts, read 4,131,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by flaglerwrangler View Post
For a 3 month stay of March, April and May, you'd probably enjoy South Florida more. The humidity, heat and the downpours don't settle in until the end of May. The Ocean in Florida is MUCH warmer than the Pacific is here. I recently moved from Florida to Orange County and am sure that it was a wise decision for a change of residency.
I second this post, having lived in both places. Overall, I would choose OC over Florida any day of the week (although we've moved from OC to San Diego and don't regret that move either!). Overall moderate climate and topography are winners in my book. Family-friendly wins over Florida also (although it didn't sound like you have family in tow). California wins for surfing as long as you're wearing a wet suit but the ocean temperature is MUCH warmer in Florida. You can't go wrong on location in Newport but be careful in West Palm Beach--it might look like a nice place on the water but could be in a very sketchy neighborhood. When you get close to deciding and you choose WPB, PLEASE post for suggestions on their forum. My advice is to do your short-term rental in WPB because that's a fabulous time of the year there--little humidity and good decent weather. If you are into biking, hiking and outdoor activities, I would probably recommend California more. After your time in WPB, come vacation in SCA--I bet you you'll love it. We recently had to choose between moving back to the WPB area or moving to San Diego and I now live in San Diego!

Old 12-08-2008, 12:43 PM

476 posts, read 2,670,144 times
You talk about the difference between ali and Florida.....Cali pay more than Florida,but where is the better standard of living ?

Old 12-08-2008, 12:48 PM
tew

209 posts, read 612,197 times
I would say for the weather OC. Its not as humid. But the water is colder and more expensive.

I guess since you like FL, you should go to FL.

I personally dont like FL but its probably better for you.

Old 12-08-2008, 01:44 PM

5,031 posts, read 12,180,676 times
For 3 months from March to May I would pick Florida esp if you want warm weather & plan to do a lot of swimming. If you are interesting in living in either West Palm Beach or Newport Beach I would chose Orange county for lifestyle & fun.

Old 12-08-2008, 08:02 PM

213 posts, read 716,194 times
Hell ya

Old 12-08-2008, 11:23 PM

9,963 posts, read 17,753,030 times
It all depends on what you fit in with and enjoy more.

South Florida has more of a European/Latin "party" vibe, with warm water and much lower prices.

OC is more of a "conservative people with money" vibe, colder water and much higher prices.

Honestly if I was going some place to have fun I would not come to OC, I would go San Diego or L.A. beaches. South Florida on the other hand from West Palm to Miami is a Party Zone. OC is more of a relaxed family place except for Huntington Beach being the only exception.

Old 12-08-2008, 11:46 PM

5,031 posts, read 12,180,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
It all depends on what you fit in with and enjoy more.

South Florida has more of a European/Latin "party" vibe, with warm water and much lower prices.

OC is more of a "conservative people with money" vibe, colder water and much higher prices.

Honestly if I was going some place to have fun I would not come to OC, I would go San Diego or L.A. beaches. South Florida on the other hand from West Palm to Miami is a Party Zone. OC is more of a relaxed family place except for Huntington Beach being the only exception.
I have never lived in Orange county but thought that areas like Newport\ Balboa Is. & Laguna Beach were "party" cities, no?

I like Florida but only Miami has a "party vibe" [Palm Beach has lots of retired folks]. South Beach is the place to party. No need for a car if the beach & club scene is important. March & April are comfortable months but May gets humid & pretty hot. Those 3 months are cool along the California coast w/ ocean temps too chilly for much swimming. Palm Springs is more like Florida as far as warmth & swimming pools are everywhere but like Palm Beach, it is a retirement city w/ limited nightlife.

Old 12-09-2008, 12:19 AM

9,963 posts, read 17,753,030 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by happ View Post
I have never lived in Orange county but thought that areas like Newport\ Balboa Is. & Laguna Beach were "party" cities, no?

I like Florida but only Miami has a "party vibe" [Palm Beach has lots of retired folks]. South Beach is the place to party. No need for a car if the beach & club scene is important. March & April are comfortable months but May gets humid & pretty hot. Those 3 months are cool along the California coast w/ ocean temps too chilly for much swimming. Palm Springs is more like Florida as far as warmth & swimming pools are everywhere but like Palm Beach, it is a retirement city w/ limited nightlife.
Balboa Island is a sleepy little area. Newport has like 10 bars all pretty much dives along the beach or ritzy "glam" places along PCH. Laguna, bars and restaurants.

I lived in South Florida (Wellington, Weston, Miami) for many years.

Believe me, West Palm down by the water has some clubs, bars, boats with parties. Ft. Lauderdale, down to Miami has Clubs galore and beach facing party areas. South Beach being the king.

Party-wise and warm water..Florida hands down.

Last edited by Mach50; 12-09-2008 at 12:43 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County