Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 10:17 AM

147 posts, read 567,533 times

Advertisements

They are not in Los Angles and O.C. is not LA
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 10:33 AM

5,032 posts, read 12,589,969 times
North Orange county is basically a suburb of LA & silly to think that the rest of the nation would know where Anaheim is located. I like that there is a train stop at the stadium; makes it convenient for Angelenos to attend games.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:49 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,727,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Its not that big a deal to me, although I would prefer Anaheim be in front for the local pride. I must admit though, as much as we like to say "we're big too" in Orange County, we are dwarfed by Los Angeles and Anaheim just isn't as well known. Lots of stadiums are in suburbs like Orange County, but they almost always carry the name of the large city of the metro area.
The Ducks are the Anaheim Ducks

just sayin

Old 12-23-2008, 10:54 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,152,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post

just sayin
Lest ye forget that they also used to be the "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" and the laughing stock of the NHL. I don't think LA would have allowed them to borrow their city name for a team that named itself after a kids Disney movie. I know the Angels were also used for a Disney movie, but atleast they existed prior to the movie.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:07 AM

2,654 posts, read 5,454,868 times
Many long time OC residents saw the emergence of the "Anaheim Angels" and "Anaheim Ducks" as a sign that OC had arrived and was moving out of LA's shadow. Most LA people paid no attention to the team until they went to the World Series (Then hopped on the bandwagon, typical M.O. of SoCal sports fans...But that's another thread) while many OC residents suffered thru years of frustration supporting and following the team in good times & bad. This group felt Moreno's name change was a slap on the face. It was a weaselly thing to do when the city had put up the money to help the team w/ the stadium in order to get the name recognition. May have been "legal" and "shrewd" but it was still underhanded and out of the spirit of the original agreement between the team & the city. And calling them "LA" was a real slap. He could have gone back to California Angels of Anaheim and not had as much backlash. I know several long time OC fans who have stopped following the team or cut back on season ticket packages because of the slight.

When the team goes thru a rough patch & all those fair weather LA fans go back to the beach, or chavez ravine or wherever, Arte will see the error of his ways.

Old 12-23-2008, 11:32 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,420,529 times
Quote:

just sayin
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that Anaheim or California should be the name, but I sort of understand the way they were thinking when they made the name change to L.A. It was a business decision made for advertising.

Another downside to the name change is it makes the Angels seem like the "secondary" team of LA, much like the Clippers live in the shaddow of the Lakers. The Dodgers are more popular in L.A. and the Angels are more popular in OC. The Angels are now just lumped together as another "L.A." team and loose the distinction from the Dodgers they used to have as being Anaheim.

Plus, just translate it and it sounds stupid: The Angels Angels of Anaheim.

Old 12-23-2008, 12:29 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,693,865 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BRinSM View Post
I have some insider info on this case. As long as Moreno wants to have LA in the name, the team will be the LA Angels of Anaheim. Anaheim must be in the name according to the lease terms with the stadium which the city owns. I don't think Moreno plans on building a new stadium any time soon, so the LA Angels of Anaheim it is.

The whole point of adding LA to the team's name was to increase its marketability. LA as a city is bigger than the whole of OC and draws much more advertising revenue. I have to give it to Artie though, he has done a good job advertising the Angels in LA. For the past 2 or 3 seasons, Angels billboards have been all over the place on the westside. I'm not sure who will make the 50 mile drive from West LA to Anaheim to catch a game, but he is getting their name out there in their "home" city.
Yucky. LA is NOT my home. Gross.

I dont even know why outsiders lump us with LA (notice its only ousiders doing this--Moreno--but locals don't lump us together). We are not LA. If we were a true "suburb" of LA, all of us would be commuting to LA for work like they do in most big cities. Most people who live in OC also work here and find entertainment here. We may be suburban in nature, but we are completely independent in almost every regard and don't need to be lumped with LA. Plus, LA has a bad rap, and personally, I don't want the Dodger-type fans at Angels games (if that is who Moreno is trying to appeal to with his marketing skills).

Last edited by ocexpo; 12-23-2008 at 12:38 PM..

Old 12-23-2008, 02:08 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,437,883 times
In this case I think Orange County is a victim of geography. If it weren't for its relative proximity to Los Angeles, calling the team the Anaheim Angels might have worked. But since we're talking about a game televised nationally (if not globally), with all of the corresponding benefits, the team owner as a businessman is going to go with name recognition. Think of the sponsors; if they sponsor something they want people to know they are sponsoring a team or facility in a major city. Although baseball fans may know Anaheim, if the sponsor wants to reach beyond the baseball fans then he's going to with what people know.

Another way to look at it is how you describe the locations. Where's Los Angeles? Off the bat (no pun), people know where that is. Where's Anaheim? Just outside of Los Angeles...

It is kind of like those concert t-shirts you buy when you see your favorite band. On the back of some of them, you'll see tour dates and the cities where the band played. Even if they played at the Blockbuster Pavillion (or whatever they're calling it these days) in Devore, they never in my observation will say "Devore", they say "Los Angeles". I went to a show once in Marysville, CA. The shirt, however, said "Sacramento".

Old 12-23-2008, 02:26 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,727,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post

Another way to look at it is how you describe the locations. Where's Los Angeles? Off the bat (no pun), people know where that is. Where's Anaheim? Just outside of Los Angeles...

I think there is a bit of a problem with this argument. Many people across the US associate Anaheim with Disneyland, and the city is well known enough from that to hold it's own. It's also the reason they purchased the Ducks and the Angels(and didn't work out because managing a sports team is drastically different than managing an entertainment empire)

Now, Arte Moreno earned his fortune in advertising(billboards mainly). He understands that in order to maximize corporate endorsements/advertising revenue, he should associate the team with the largest media market in the west and the #1 or #2 media market in the US. The name has nothing to do with ticket sales or merchandise sales, purely advertising dollars from having "Los Angeles" in the name.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:37 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,437,883 times
Quote:
I think there is a bit of a problem with this argument. Many people across the US associate Anaheim with Disneyland, and the city is well known enough from that to hold it's own. It's also the reason they purchased the Ducks and the Angels(and didn't work out because managing a sports team is drastically different than managing an entertainment empire)
It isn't perfect, I agree.

Quote:
...purely advertising dollars from having "Los Angeles" in the name.
That makes sense to me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County