Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 05:53 PM

76 posts, read 226,746 times

Advertisements

Who really cares???

I grew up in Garbage Grove and went to alot of Angel games. That was before free agency. Now, baseball is just a bunch of crybaby players who jump ship if their team doesn't pay them a few extra mil. Can you tell I'm not a baseball fan anymore?? lol

Anyway, what's interesting is that average Angel attendance figures appear to be silightly decreasing over the past several years. Can't imagine them not selling out a 40,000+ something stadium in an area with several million people in a 25 mile radius.

Go Angels!!!! (Anaheim preferably, but doesn't really matter if it's something else)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2008, 06:14 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,573,112 times
Needs to be Anaheim Angels
It's not even in LA County!

Old 12-28-2008, 07:26 PM

1,162 posts, read 3,235,623 times
Cool The Santa Ana Winds of Los Angeles..?

Like it or not, Los Angeles and its surroundings ARE connected. LA was established long ago and everything suburban and modern grew up around it: OC, Long Beach, the Antelope Valley, et al included. The Angels were once based in Los Angeles, as a matter of fact.

That said, I think the name-change was demeaning to Anaheim. Hell, they won the World Series, for crying out loud! Isn't that enough cache for Moreno? Even without that, they deserve to be named after their home town, just like any team. I understand the point about the NY Giants and all but it still ain't right, at least to me.

And what's wrong with Dodger fans? Jeez.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Yucky. LA is NOT my home. Gross.

I dont even know why outsiders lump us with LA (notice its only ousiders doing this--Moreno--but locals don't lump us together). We are not LA. If we were a true "suburb" of LA, all of us would be commuting to LA for work like they do in most big cities. Most people who live in OC also work here and find entertainment here. We may be suburban in nature, but we are completely independent in almost every regard and don't need to be lumped with LA. Plus, LA has a bad rap, and personally, I don't want the Dodger-type fans at Angels games (if that is who Moreno is trying to appeal to with his marketing skills).

Old 12-28-2008, 07:55 PM

7,372 posts, read 16,007,664 times
The Los Angeles Area Angels (aka- LAAA)

Old 12-30-2008, 12:19 PM

2,793 posts, read 4,068,200 times
Is it true that their merchandise sales have only gone down since they became the LA Angels? That's what I've heard. Personally, I prefer Anaheim Angels. It flows better for one. And everyone knows where Anaheim is (just say Disneyland, good enough for me). Heck, I didn't even realize the Rams played in OC (I was a kid), because they were called LA Rams. I figured they played up in LA somewhere.

I know a few of you have said OC is a suburb or whatevers of LA, but let's be real. If that's the case, then why even name our cities. Why not just stick to SF, Sacramento (only because it's our capital - or is it capitol), Los Angeles, San Diego. And quarter up the state? No, we've moved beyond OC being "a suburb of LA".

The LA name was pure advertising. For most people I know, they hate it. Haven't bought any merchandise since. And don't go to games as often. The Angels weren't losing or unknown because of their name. I don't think "LA" is helping the Celtics any (btw, I think it's so lame when they play the Lakers and it's on two tv stations at once).

Just my two cents. But then, I'm never big on change (esp when it comes to names - like the Pond becoming, Edison International blah blah blah, FedEx/El Torito/etc Bowls, etc) Everything is to corporate now. Even the Dodgers, I hear they're planning on building some sort of mall in their parking lot, and my co-worker says there's already not enough parking. Heck, you can hardly get tickets anymore, cuz they're all sold to businesses.

Okay, getting off my soapbox now. Anaheim Angels. I like that the best.

Old 12-30-2008, 12:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
i believe merchandise sales have risen since moreno took over(notably guerrero related merchandise.. having a superstar helps a bunch) and attendence is still over 3million a year(which is the yearly milestone goal, similar for the dodgers).

Old 12-31-2008, 09:44 PM

499 posts, read 2,156,559 times
I don't care very much, but I think Anaheim Angels makes them feel more distant to me than Los Angeles Angels. Maybe, this is because they started life as the LA Angels, even before they were a major league team. I was raised with my LA hat, one of my first pictures as a baby is wearing the LA hat. Anaheim is just nothing to me, growing up in Costa Mesa and Newport Beach, it is just not a city I have any connection with.
I also unfortunately relate the Anaheim moniker with those heinous pinstripe uniforms and color change.

All that said, if the team made a deal with the city of Anaheim, then they should respect the deal. Moreno knows what he has done is total BS. he knows it in his heart, he knows it goes against the business deal that was made. He should respect the Anaheim name until he legally removes that requirement. then he can call them Arte's Angels for all I care.

Old 01-01-2009, 09:07 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reivax View Post
...they started life as the LA Angels, even before they were a major league team...
Not exactly, The Los Angeles Angels of the Pacific Coast League played at Wrigley Field (just east of the "Mammoth" Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum) until 1958. That organization moved to Spokane (Indians) then the Albuquerque Dukes.

In 1961, the Los Angeles Angeles of the American League opened as an expansion team and played its first year at the same Wrigley Field. In 1962 these Angeles played at Chavez Ravine until 1966 when Angheim Stadium was opened. The name change from Los Angeles Angels to California Angeles occurred in 1965 or 1966, not sure.

So, the minor league team and the major league team were two different organizations.

LAistory: Baseball's First Wrigley Field Was in LA - LAist: Los Angeles News, Food, Arts & Events

(Images not protected by copyright)

Old 01-02-2009, 05:22 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,589,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
Don't get me wrong, I agree with you that Anaheim or California should be the name, but I sort of understand the way they were thinking when they made the name change to L.A. It was a business decision made for advertising.
So in order to get more ad money from a larger market perhaps the Brewers should change their name to the Chicago Brewers of Milwaukee? Or, to apply the same principle to another sport, perhaps the NFL's Bills should change their name to the Toronto Bills of Buffalo?

Old 01-02-2009, 11:53 AM

125 posts, read 440,414 times
I think it should go back to Anaheim Angels
because
1. Its what I remember growing up as a kid.
2. It sounds better
3. It shows the greedy marketers that they can't always get their way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County