Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2008, 01:26 AM

3,309 posts, read 5,688,577 times

Advertisements

This LA Angels Name dispute is back, whats your opinion?

Personally, I think it is a waste of money. However, I do see the cities point in pursuing this. When I think of LA, a not so pretty picture comes to mind (think of the Dodgers or the Raiders). I just tend to associate it with grime and poverty. Plus, there is some pride in having something named after our Suburban County (like Green Bay, the little city in Wisconsin that is too small to really have a football team). I am kind of torn, what do you guys think. Is the OC name important to you or not?

Last edited by ocexpo; 12-23-2008 at 02:56 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2008, 01:38 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,712,212 times
Should be Anaheim, but whatever. Not big enough a deal to care too much about

Old 12-23-2008, 03:33 AM

301 posts, read 1,507,280 times
If Moreno actually grew up or lived in Orange County, he would know why Los Angeles is so reviled here. MLB should not approve the sales of teams to persons with no ties to a team's community.

The city may have lost another round in the lawsuit, but the word Anaheim still has to appear in the name of the team. Moreno still can't legally call them the Los Angeles Angels. He's paid $7 million in legal bills so he can slap them with the ridiculous name of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He's no genius.

I like Anaheim Angels. I grew up with the California Angels, that's fine too. And frankly, I wouldn't care too much if they were named Los Angeles Angels, since that too has a long history in the southland. But the taxpayers of Anaheim coughed up money, as part of the 90s stadium remodeling, to have the city name included in the team name. Moreno could have offered to buy out the city's naming right, but instead he is trying to screw them out of that. The mayor and city council are obligated to protect the financial interests of Anaheim taxpayers. They should keep hounding him.

Old 12-23-2008, 04:19 AM

26,338 posts, read 93,537,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ocexpo View Post
Personally, I think it is a waste of money.
Personally? Do you know the financial benefits of the change?

Hypothetically, If someone paid you $100K cash, tax free, would you change your name?

Old 12-23-2008, 07:49 AM

499 posts, read 2,152,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Personally? Do you know the financial benefits of the change?

Hypothetically, If someone paid you $100K cash, tax free, would you change your name?
No.

Old 12-23-2008, 09:53 AM

7,226 posts, read 22,132,456 times
I have some insider info on this case. As long as Moreno wants to have LA in the name, the team will be the LA Angels of Anaheim. Anaheim must be in the name according to the lease terms with the stadium which the city owns. I don't think Moreno plans on building a new stadium any time soon, so the LA Angels of Anaheim it is.

The whole point of adding LA to the team's name was to increase its marketability. LA as a city is bigger than the whole of OC and draws much more advertising revenue. I have to give it to Artie though, he has done a good job advertising the Angels in LA. For the past 2 or 3 seasons, Angels billboards have been all over the place on the westside. I'm not sure who will make the 50 mile drive from West LA to Anaheim to catch a game, but he is getting their name out there in their "home" city.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:05 AM

916 posts, read 3,690,926 times
Other than people who live in one of the OC cities, most people think of the OC cities as suburbs of LA. It's just like the NY Giants and Jets. They play in Jersey but are called NY as Jersey is part of the NY metro area.

This wasn't a problem with the Rams and it shouldn't be with the Angles.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:08 AM

2,498 posts, read 11,413,196 times
Its not that big a deal to me, although I would prefer Anaheim be in front for the local pride. I must admit though, as much as we like to say "we're big too" in Orange County, we are dwarfed by Los Angeles and Anaheim just isn't as well known. Lots of stadiums are in suburbs like Orange County, but they almost always carry the name of the large city of the metro area.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:11 AM

224 posts, read 955,344 times
Moreno wanted the national recognition of the LA moniker...it is business, and it has basically been forgotten as an issue. It had no impact on attendance this past year.

No biggie.

Old 12-23-2008, 10:12 AM

689 posts, read 2,575,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
If Moreno actually grew up or lived in Orange County, he would know why Los Angeles is so reviled here. MLB should not approve the sales of teams to persons with no ties to a team's community.

The city may have lost another round in the lawsuit, but the word Anaheim still has to appear in the name of the team. Moreno still can't legally call them the Los Angeles Angels. He's paid $7 million in legal bills so he can slap them with the ridiculous name of Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim. He's no genius.

I like Anaheim Angels. I grew up with the California Angels, that's fine too. And frankly, I wouldn't care too much if they were named Los Angeles Angels, since that too has a long history in the southland. But the taxpayers of Anaheim coughed up money, as part of the 90s stadium remodeling, to have the city name included in the team name. Moreno could have offered to buy out the city's naming right, but instead he is trying to screw them out of that. The mayor and city council are obligated to protect the financial interests of Anaheim taxpayers. They should keep hounding him.
Actually Moreno is one of the best owners in baseball. He has made a huge commitment to having an excelent team. Part of the way to pay all of those salaires is with increased ad revenue and part of that strategy is to have LA in the name.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County