Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 12:37 PM

543 posts, read 1,900,985 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised here, but as a family of six we just don't want to live in this area anymore. We have many reasons for moving to the east coast, mainly family, but we are also just not up to trying to keep up just for good weather. We have other reasons too such as...traffic, declining school system, over crowding. I could go on and on but most of our reasons are personal and I don't want to generalize.
I am just curious as to how many others are packing up and moving to another state to a better life. And where are you going?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-07-2009, 05:07 PM

40 posts, read 175,597 times
Washington-bound here. Once upon a time, I thought I was so lucky to live here in OC. But the past few years haven't been pretty and in this instance, the old adage "You get what you pay for" just isn't true.

Old 06-07-2009, 05:49 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
laid off just now, so my plans of temecula are down the drain. now its wherever i can get a job. actively searching eastern WA, northern ID, SLC, CO, NM, and Riverside and San Diego counties

Old 06-07-2009, 06:03 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,191,282 times
Dallas,Texas

Old 06-07-2009, 11:54 PM

619 posts, read 2,168,233 times
In 2006 when home prices in OC went crazy I too thought of moving to the affordable Houston. Visited there twice, got a realtor and was serious of moving out of OC. I`m so glad I didn`t!....Inland Empire became just as affordable as Texas and even more affordable considering that property taxes there are 3-4% on average. We have 1% in California.
I just don`t see a reason to still move out of California. Most ppl moved out because of home prices. Orange county will become even more affordable in the next 2-3 years. Home prices will likely drop another 20% bringing the median to just under 300k.
We have great weather here, lots of places for entertainment, etc...economy is and will be bad for years to come no matter where you go.
$.2 deposited

Old 06-08-2009, 01:08 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
laid off just now, so my plans of temecula are down the drain. now its wherever i can get a job. actively searching eastern WA, northern ID, SLC, CO, NM, and Riverside and San Diego counties
I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. How are you dealing with the issue of being out of the area when you apply to the jobs in other states? Do you have a local phone number or address for each? Good luck in your search.

Old 06-08-2009, 01:22 AM

1,837 posts, read 4,149,648 times
Hi,

I lived in OC and North San Diego County for 22-years and moved away in 2001 because of my husbands job transfer. I actually had a son who was four years old and a new-born at the time. I was very concerned about raising two boys in OC and Cali in general. Not only could we not afford a home I just didn't like the lifestyle and was concerned about my boys growing up in such a materialistic place... We fortunately were able to move to Oregon lived there for several years and then relocated to Eastern Washington State. I am so thankful to have been able to leave OC and my boys have grown up to be two very balanced individuals who love sports and do well in school. We have been able to buy two decent homes and have had the privilege of having MANY sleep-overs and friends spend the night. My boys are always at our home with their friends instead of out and about.. I really don't think they would have grown up this way in Cali because I probably wouldn't have had the luxury of being a stay-at-home mom. And we definately wouldn't have been able to buy a house there at the time. In fact right before we moved to Oregon I had to take a job because we couldn't make ends meet on my husbands income even though he was making good money. Personally, I just don't think it is a good place for a family...
Washington State is laid back and a great place to live with lots to do. Highly recommended!!! Oregon is absolutely beautiful but the rain can drive you crazy... Every place has it's good and bad points..

Old 06-08-2009, 01:58 AM

5,113 posts, read 19,764,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I'm sorry to hear about your job loss. How are you dealing with the issue of being out of the area when you apply to the jobs in other states? Do you have a local phone number or address for each? Good luck in your search.
Depends. I speak to the recruiters for some and they have no problem with my address/phone issues. On occasions that it seems to be a problem and I am confident about the job, I have Vonage and I can add a number in any area code in the US for 10/mo. I also try to use a friends address if one is available.

Hopefully I have success with this method. I've never had to use it before, but friends of mine have had success with it.

Also, I think the prevalence of people moving around and keeping their cell numbers(and area codes), along with recruiting departments increasing reliance on technology(such as livemeeting) for first and second interviews, has helped ease the "problem" with at least starting the process with out of area applicants.

Old 06-08-2009, 03:00 PM

1,882 posts, read 3,111,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AKgirlinCA View Post
Dallas,Texas
LOL, yeah there's no traffic there. No snobby people, no crime, no crowding. LMAO.

Old 06-08-2009, 05:46 PM

9,860 posts, read 7,732,644 times
We have friends and family that left for Austin TX, Las Vegas & Tucson. We went to South Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County