Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-16-2009, 05:20 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,407,924 times

Advertisements

Some of Charles's most useful applications that should be in everyone's toolbox when looking for homes:
Great website for home searching, recent sales data, and foreclosures; very robust (except it can't filter on schools)

Find All the Homes for Sale & Experienced Real Estate Agents | Redfin

Southern California Home Resale Activity

http://www.dqnews.com/Charts/Monthly...ts/ZIPLAT.aspx

Case Shiller home price index

http://www2.standardandpoors.com/por...0,0,0,0,0.html

Cool zip code map here:

The Most Accurate Free USPS Zip Code Map Anywhere!

City-Data's data display for a zip code, very good for finding recent sales data:

//www.city-data.com/zips/92694.html

Another forum similar to City-Data Forum:

West Coast and Interior West - SkyscraperCity

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

School performance maps:

California School Performance Maps

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitors sites is not allowed

Want to compare weather between two different cities?

City Climate Comparisons

Powerful Census data maps (though the data are old):

Tiger Map Server Browser

This tool mashes Craigslist housing listings with Google Maps. Very neat.

HousingMaps

Capistrano School District Elementary, Middle and High School maps (in hi-res PDF and JPG formats):

Attendance Boundary Maps

Saddleback School Maps (not too useful, no boundaries):

Saddleback Valley Unified School District

Several OC Google Maps with some gated communities, school zones, other random layers:

National Honor Society

Some Google Earth KMLs with demographic and census data (haven't checked them out; if they suck, I'll ask the mods to delete this)
Census KML Data Visualization: New KMZ!

Census Data in Google Earth: Juice Analytics

Last edited by Yac; 02-24-2009 at 05:59 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2009, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Some of Charles's most useful applications that should be in everyone's toolbox when looking for homes:
Great website for home searching, recent sales data, and foreclosures; very robust (except it can't filter on schools)

Find All the Homes for Sale & Experienced Real Estate Agents | Redfin
I've noticed a significant problem with redfin. It's still the best tool for searching for homes but not for searching for resale data (one of the most important things a househunter should know when making an offer).

For some reason on redfin, many recent sales listings have zeroed out information like beds and baths. So, if you are looking for recent 5+3 in a price range you get zero hits. You have to zero out almost all the information (hit reset on the search) and enter your price range, then you get hits but all the important information is zero - sort of useless. Zillow doesn't seem to have this problem; must be the way redfin processes the MLS data (because I think all delivery sources are getting their data from the same place).

So, use zillow for recent sales, and redfin for all other searches.

Old 01-27-2010, 07:55 PM

Here are the Capistrano School Bus Routes Pages:

CUSD Transportation Department: Elementary Schools

CUSD Transportation Department: Middle Schools

CUSD Transportation Department: High Schools

Saddleback School Bus Information

TEACHER PORTAL - HOMEPAGE Bus Pass Office & Transportation

Capistrano School Lookup Tool

Capistrano Unified School District (http://webapps.capousd.org/sls/schoollookup.asp - broken link)

Saddleback School Lookup Tool

Old 03-22-2010, 11:45 AM

Quote:

School performance maps:

California School Performance Maps

In addition to School Performance Maps above, here's a neat way to look at GreatSchools ratings on a google map interface (you may have to change the zip in the URL to recenter the map)

School Search Widget - GreatSchools

Old 03-22-2010, 12:02 PM

16 posts, read 121,037 times
Default Redfin is inaccurate information!

Redfin is nice and flashy yet it does not have accurate information. All agents on Redfin are Redfin agents and the site keeps homes in Backup and Sold so buyers call the agent and the agent then shows them other homes.

Realtor.com is owned by the National Association of Realtors and all information a Realtor adds to the MLS is auto-populated each night to Realtor.com. It may not be as flashy as you like (they should work on that), but it give you ACCURATE information.

Old 03-25-2010, 05:46 PM

3,852 posts, read 12,828,358 times
redfin is the best by far.

Old 04-22-2010, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenell View Post
Redfin is nice and flashy yet it does not have accurate information. All agents on Redfin are Redfin agents and the site keeps homes in Backup and Sold so buyers call the agent and the agent then shows them other homes.

Realtor.com is owned by the National Association of Realtors and all information a Realtor adds to the MLS is auto-populated each night to Realtor.com. It may not be as flashy as you like (they should work on that), but it give you ACCURATE information.

I wrote to Redfin and essentially fed back to them what you wrote.
Are the data listed and displayed on Redfin "different" (see context below) from those on Realtor?
Are Redfin data as fresh as Realtor?
Are Redfin listing data autopopulated from the MLS similarly to Realtor?
Is there any reason to doubt the listing data as compared to Realtor?

Is this statement correct? "All agents on Redfin are Redfin agents and the site keeps homes in Backup and Sold so buyers call the agent and the agent then shows them other homes.
Here's their reply:
Re: Are the data listed and displayed on Redfin "different" (see context below) from those on Realtor?

Redfin pulls from the local MLS Sandicor. We also get for sale by owner homes from Zillow, Oodle, ForSaleByOwner.com, etc. We also get bank-owned homes that aren't yet on the MLS from a third party who gets them direct from the bank sites.

Re: re Redfin data as fresh as Realtor?

We updated our MLS listings in San Diego every 30 minutes. I don't know how often Realtor.com updates.

Re: Are Redfin listing data autopopulated from the MLS similarly to Realtor?

We pull our MLS listings directly from the local MLS Sandicor. I don't know if Realtor pulls directly or through or a third party. I also don't know if Realtor uses the same feed that we use.

Re: Is there any reason to doubt the listing data as compared to Realtor?

We pride ourselves on having the most homes for sale of any website and we pride ourselves on updating our site more often than any other site.

Re: All agents on Redfin are Redfin agents

All agent pictures you see are of Redfin agents.

Re: the site keeps homes in Backup and Sold so buyers call the agent and the agent then shows them other homes.

We show homes in backup and sold states so that you can see all the homes that are for sale or were for sale.

FYI, we have the most popular MLS powered website in the greater Los Angeles area.

If you want to read more about our data check out, Redfin Shows More Homes for Sale, Faster, Than Any Other Site.

Old 04-28-2010, 06:11 PM

16 posts, read 121,037 times
Charles, I believe you must work for Redfin. I stand by what I said about Redfin being inaccurate. As a Realtor, I have to constantly remind clients that homes they find on Redfin and listed as Active are not Active and then provide them with the 'correct' information from the MLS.

See my comments below:

Quote:
I wrote to Redfin and essentially fed back to them what you wrote.
Here's their reply:
Re: Are the data listed and displayed on Redfin "different" (see context below) from those on Realtor?

Redfin pulls from the local MLS Sandicor. We also get for sale by owner homes from Zillow, Oodle, ForSaleByOwner.com, etc. We also get bank-owned homes that aren't yet on the MLS from a third party who gets them direct from the bank sites.
"Charles, what do you think Redfin would say?"

Re: re Redfin data as fresh as Realtor?

We updated our MLS listings in San Diego every 30 minutes. I don't know how often Realtor.com updates.
"As I said and as Redfin knows quite well, Realtor.com is owned by the National Association of Realtors. All information is auto-populated daily to ensure accuracy."

Re: Are Redfin listing data autopopulated from the MLS similarly to Realtor?

We pull our MLS listings directly from the local MLS Sandicor. I don't know if Realtor pulls directly or through or a third party. I also don't know if Realtor uses the same feed that we use.
"Once again, Redfin knows quite well that Realtor has the accurate MLS information."

Re: Is there any reason to doubt the listing data as compared to Realtor?

We pride ourselves on having the most homes for sale of any website and we pride ourselves on updating our site more often than any other site.
"Bulls***"

Re: All agents on Redfin are Redfin agents

All agent pictures you see are of Redfin agents.
"Of course they are Redfin agents. The home may not be For Sale any longer, and most likely NOT LISTED by the Redfin agent, but the Buyer does not know that so the Redfin agent then says 'I have other homes to show you'. Typical games that some agents play and not respectable."

Re: the site keeps homes in Backup and Sold so buyers call the agent and the agent then shows them other homes.

We show homes in backup and sold states so that you can see all the homes that are for sale or were for sale.
"That's fine. You can see that on Realtor.com also."

FYI, we have the most popular MLS powered website in the greater Los Angeles area.

If you want to read more about our data check out, Redfin Shows More Homes for Sale, Faster, Than Any Other Site.
"I am sure that Redfin wrote this information."

Old 06-15-2010, 10:45 AM

Quote:
Saddleback School Maps (not too useful, no boundaries):

This has been updated with much better maps:

Saddleback Valley 2010-2011 Attendance Area Recommendations

Old 06-15-2010, 06:19 PM

61 posts, read 299,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenell View Post

My experience with redfin and realtor.com is that redfin is far more up to date than realtor.com. I used to regularly use realtor.com until I realized how out of date most of their listings were. There were homes on realtor.com with active status that had been pending for months or sold. I would use Redfin any day of the week for a home search over realtor.com, but that's just me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County