Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 11:16 PM

12 posts, read 40,417 times

Advertisements

We are relocating to OC from Dallas, we are looking at two options, Mission Viejo and Yorba Linda. My husband is a consultant, he travels all over the US so we are free to live anywhere.
Which city would you recommend and why. We would like to rent a 3 bedroom apt., condo or house, with maximum rent of $2300.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2009, 11:34 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,434,862 times
I like both communities and although I live in Mission Viejo and like it here, I grew up in Placentia next to Yorba Linda and love that area also. I would probably like Yorba Linda just as much as I like Mission Viejo right now.

For Mission Viejo, I would say we have these benefits:
1. Not off the 91 freeway (a traffic nightmare). The 5 freeway can be bad, but not even in the same league as the 91 at Yorba Linda as far as how bad traffic is.
2. Lake Mission Viejo is a nice community feature. Other master planned cities may have lakes, but Mission Viejo is the only one I know of that lets you swim in it in addition to stuff like sail, kayak, wind surf, fish, etc...
3. MV is closer to beach cities than Yorba Linda. I can be at Salt Creek Beach for example in 20-25 minutes from my house.
4. Close to Irvine, a major employment center in the county.
5. Less fire risk. Most of Mission Viejo does not back up to large undeveloped areas that can burn.
6. More shopping in MV. Yorba Linda is overwhelmingly residential. Mission Viejo has the Shops at Mission Viejo Mall anchored by Nordstrom, Macy's, and Saks Fifth Avenue. If you want to go to the mall in Yorba Linda, the Brea Mall is closest. MV is also closer to the Irvine Spectrum, Laguna Hills Mall, and Fashion Island.

I would say Yorba Linda is a little bit more expensive. More mansions in the hills there than MV and older single family homes generally have larger lot sizes in YL than the older single family homes here. I think you will find rent a little bit cheaper in MV probably, but you of course will need to check complexes in both cities.

Last edited by missionhome; 01-18-2009 at 11:55 PM..

Old 01-19-2009, 09:02 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,055,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missionhome View Post
I like both communities and although I live in Mission Viejo and like it here, I grew up in Placentia next to Yorba Linda and love that area also. I would probably like Yorba Linda just as much as I like Mission Viejo right now.

For Mission Viejo, I would say we have these benefits:
1. Not off the 91 freeway (a traffic nightmare). The 5 freeway can be bad, but not even in the same league as the 91 at Yorba Linda as far as how bad traffic is.
2. Lake Mission Viejo is a nice community feature. Other master planned cities may have lakes, but Mission Viejo is the only one I know of that lets you swim in it in addition to stuff like sail, kayak, wind surf, fish, etc...
3. MV is closer to beach cities than Yorba Linda. I can be at Salt Creek Beach for example in 20-25 minutes from my house.
DITTO, MV hands down

Old 01-19-2009, 10:44 AM

Hi again,
Looking at Mission Viejo's leases right now there are a few single family detached homes that you can get for $2,300 or less that have three bedrooms or more.
I will list their MLS numbers here:
S545733 ($2300 per month, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 1540 sq.ft, walking distance to lake, North MV, charming cape cod charm).
S551048 ($2300 per month, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, 1800 sq. ft, North MV, tollroad close)
S558578 ($2300 per month, 3 bedrooms, 3 baths, older tract home, Northwest MV)
S558919 ($2295, 3 bed, 3 bath, adjacent to Del Lago Elementary, walking distance to Trabuco Hills High, built 1976)
S549920 ($2295, 3 bed, 3 bath, Coronado Homes neighborhood adjacent to Saddleback College and walking distance to Capistrano Valley High, built 1970, some remodeling)
S555893 ($2250, 3 bedroom, 2 bath, California Colony neighborhood of cute and charming entry level homes, remodeled inside, walking distance to lake)
S555036 ($2200, 3 bedrooms + loft, 2 baths, 1290 sq. ft, California Colony neighborhood, no street noise, charming home, excellent value at this price point)

I used this website to find the official MLS leases in Mission Viejo: Search MLS Listings
On the website click on "Search ALL MLS listings", then click on "Search by MLS #" and copy and paste the MLS numbers I gave to see the single family 3 bedroom+ homes in your price range.
***That isn't my real estate page by the way. Just one of the few agents that allows you to search MLS without having to give them your phone #, name, and email.
There are other leases not in the MLS that are just in the newspaper or craigslist.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:01 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txsonia View Post
we are looking at two options, Mission Viejo and Yorba Linda.
he travels all over the US
Why only those two (YL, MV)? What criteria did you use (besides maximum rent of $2300)?
Both are about the same to LAX, but MV is closer to John Wayne.

Old 01-19-2009, 01:19 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
Mission Viejo, because it is closest to a major airport(minutes)

Old 01-19-2009, 01:22 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,729,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Mission Viejo, because it is closest to a major airport(minutes)
The only thing I'd add is often you have a lot more choices (more direct flights or non-stops) from LAX than from BUR or SNA but any airport in SoCal is a better experience than LAX. In fact, I think I'd rather fly from BUR or SNA and change planes than have a non-stop from LAX.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:18 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
True, though Burbank probably wouldn't factor into the equation for either location. Ontario may for Yorba Linda though.

Each airport has their own airlines, so that could be a major factor as well. Long Beach is the only local airport with major Jet Blue activity. John Wayne and Ontario have significant Southwest presence and Burbank has more local region Southwest flights. John Wayne probably has more destinations than the other regional airports though totalling all of the carriers

Old 01-19-2009, 03:26 PM

John Wayne OC Airport Destinations and Airlines

Alaska Airlines (Portland (OR), Seattle/Tacoma)
American Airlines (Chicago-O'Hare, Dallas/Fort Worth, San Jose (CA))
American Eagle (San Francisco, San Jose (CA))
Continental Airlines (Houston-Intercontinental, Newark)
Delta Air Lines (Atlanta, Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky, Salt Lake City)
Delta Connection operated by SkyWest Airlines (Salt Lake City)
Frontier Airlines (Denver)
Northwest Airlines (Minneapolis/St. Paul)
Southwest Airlines (Denver, Las Vegas, Oakland, Phoenix, Sacramento, San Francisco [begins May 9], San Jose (CA))
United Airlines (Chicago-O'Hare, Denver, San Francisco)
United Express operated by SkyWest Airlines (San Francisco)
US Airways (Las Vegas, Phoenix)
US Airways Express operated by Mesa Airlines (Phoenix)

Southwest has the most flight and carries 23% of the passengers. American carries 14.4% and United carries 12.8%. The only two lounges at the airport are an American Admirals Club and United Red Carpet Club.

Old 01-19-2009, 03:37 PM
hsw

2,144 posts, read 7,160,089 times
Really depends upon where one's trying to travel

If visiting cos. in Irvine or SD, would often drive to LAX to get flts back to NYC....for certain major epicenters (JFK, O'Hare, etc), prefer larger airports w/larger, safer (both plane and caliber of pilot crew), more comfortable birds (and back-up birds if mechanical issues)...and greater priority (during inclement weather) than small, regional airports, unless one is big enough to have own NetJets bird to travel more efficiently....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County