Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-03-2009, 05:40 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,323 times

Advertisements

I was looking on the birds eye view live maps for a place I used to live in Santa Ana. I think I finally located it - -after 40 years the orange groves are gone but anyway - the city looks so beautiful in the maps. While scanning all around, the jacaranda tree's are all in bloom and it quite nice from above.

Just thought I would share - I sure enjoyed seeing them all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 07:53 PM

5,032 posts, read 12,605,568 times
Agree that a street lined with jacaranda is a magnificent sight [though parked cars look like **** blossoms are full of sap]. Jacaranda start flowering in late April.

Old 02-03-2009, 10:22 PM

1,539 posts, read 3,189,529 times
La Paz Road in Mission Viejo has gorgeous jacarandas in the spring. Absolutely beautiful. I will try to post some pics of it this year.

Old 02-04-2009, 08:53 AM

14,164 posts, read 27,213,588 times
I flew into John Wayne once in late April or early May, and you could see the bright purple all over the place from the plane. That's definitely one of my favorite times of the year.

Old 02-04-2009, 12:53 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,323 times
Oh - that would be quite beautiful. Flying in from Minnesota, I just love seeing all the swimming pools. And coming in the end of January one year I saw alot of tall poinsettia plants blooming - as tall as the houses. But the best part is seeing clean cars and streets. It is so disgusting all winter to see dirty cars from the snow, slush, sand and salt.

One time my grandma flew in to Minneapolis from California. She told me that coming in over the city she could see the most beautiful patchs of yellow flowers. This was in June, so we figured by looking at all of our yards, it must have been dandelions. ha ha

Old 02-04-2009, 01:24 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Funny. I was always amazed at the comaprative beauty of green places when I flew in from California. Southern California is never green. What is not concrete and steel is brown, or in the spring, some areas get greyish green, but never a rich lush green anywhere. (Even the sky is brown). Some places are beautiful from the ground, but from the sky it looks terrible. The rich emerald green of wet places always awed me when I flew in. In the winter, the snow always looked pretty to me, but I never looked at the cars from an airplane.

The yellow flowers were probably a filed of poppies out near Gorman. It is incredibly beautiful there when the flowers bloom (unfortuantely ugly the rest of the year).

Old 02-04-2009, 01:25 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
The Jaqs are beautiful from an office window as well. Santa Ana used ot be filled with them, but they are slowly being replaced. They can destroy a paint job if the sap hardens before it is removed. They are beautiful, but incredibly messy trees. Frankly I would rather keep the beauty and just deal with the sap, but most people think differently.

Old 02-05-2009, 12:37 PM

2,561 posts, read 5,810,394 times
Flying over South County is often brite green from Emerald Bay south especially some of the areas around Dana Point/San Clemente--but I have noticed that even Laguna..Newport where I often go have been extremely dry for the past few years though...I noticed even the cactus up Laguna canyon were wilting--think it's more of a recent phenomon--even the Cotton Woods in the Aliso basin next to dry water beds are losing leaves...I have seen the area under more normal conditions in the spring look very green and lush..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County