Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-06-2009, 01:33 PM

29 posts, read 63,088 times

Advertisements

Do people in Newport Beach really hate this show? How different is it from what it's actually like there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 01:35 PM

7,226 posts, read 22,194,951 times
Maybe there would have been more respect for the show from locals if the show was actually filmed in "The OC".

Old 02-06-2009, 02:08 PM

916 posts, read 3,700,053 times
No kidding. It was filmed in Long Beach and the southbay primarily.

No other county in America works as hard to develop a brand as Orange County. OC would like to be seen as upscale and a cool place to be. To this end, the show really has helped the county. It created a location (ie OC) that never existed before. It allows places like Irvine and Ladera Ranch to be grouped in with Newport and be seen as "cool OC" rather than bland, middle class suburbs outside of LA. Also the show never mentioned Santa Ana or the barrio sections of SJC or Mission Viejo.

Newport folks probably hate the show because they already had the rep they wanted and it portrays them as superficial, drug using, losers.

Old 02-06-2009, 02:57 PM

301 posts, read 1,511,100 times
Prior to the show I had never ever heard of anyone referring to Orange County as "The OC". Natives refer to it as Orange County or OC or they will tell you the name of their city, if it is an affluent city. You will NEVER hear someone from Newport Beach or Corona Del Mar bragging that they live in OC. They will ALWAYS tell you the name of their city. It would be like someone from Beverly Hills preferring to tell people that they live in LA County.

Old 02-06-2009, 04:06 PM

342 posts, read 1,427,822 times
I loved watching the show mostly because of the scenery - I did really like the show, even tho I know not all the families are like the ones portrayed. But I like any shows or movies with southern California as the background. I even like "Cops" when it is filmed in Rialto and Fontana. I never understood why they put "the" in front of OC.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:31 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,942,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
I even like "Cops" when it is filmed in Rialto and Fontana.
I especially like it when it's filmed in Fontana.

Quote:
Originally Posted by IloveOC View Post
I never understood why they put "the" in front of OC.
Same here, it's idiotic and trendy. Like the show.

Old 02-06-2009, 06:41 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,449,173 times
I hate that the "the" has worked its way into usage after the show started it. Now I hear radio DJs saying "The OC" instead of "Orange County" or "OC" as it had always been.

Old 02-07-2009, 10:32 AM

342 posts, read 1,427,822 times
Fontucky - ever see anyone you know or recognize - ha ha.

I did see someone I knew on one of the episodes but I don't know what state or city that episode was in. I was so shocked to see him, I had to call my daughter and tell her to turn it on real quick. Its normally on Saturday nights here and last night I turned on the TV about 7:50 and it was on - darn, it was almost over.

Then 48 hours had the show about the people in Newport who were thrown overboard and drowned by some guy who wanted their boat. Maybe I am glad that I am no longer out there. Scarey.

Old 02-07-2009, 12:46 PM

1,248 posts, read 3,509,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterDuke View Post
Prior to the show I had never ever heard of anyone referring to Orange County as "The OC". Natives refer to it as Orange County or OC or they will tell you the name of their city, if it is an affluent city. You will NEVER hear someone from Newport Beach or Corona Del Mar bragging that they live in OC. They will ALWAYS tell you the name of their city. It would be like someone from Beverly Hills preferring to tell people that they live in LA County.
Bingo.

That, and if I'm not mistaken, most of the scenery shots were filmed in Malibu.

Arrested Development was a better representation of Newport Beach than The OC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County