Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 02:05 PM

961 posts, read 2,566,081 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Yes, I'm excited for the change in cost of living. We're not in your price range, we can only afford a $200K home, so it's much more realistic for us there. And the people I met there so far have been very friendly. Everything moves just a tad slower there. I'm tired of everyone in a hurry all the time.
Then it is very exciting indeed! We aren't in the price range we want to be in yet. We still have to save a 20% down payment. After our moving expenses to come back to California, it is going to be at least another year before we can consider buying and $650K would be our absolute breaking point. That would be assuming that I am back to work part-time after the kids are in school. So there are many hurdles yet to make. I wish you the best in Austin. I hope you will visit us on the CA forum to let us know how you are doing down there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2009, 02:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
So now what?
Thanks for your concern Charles. You have been a wealth of information. DH knows that NorCal is better for us even though we both prefer the warmth of OC. So now we are concentrating on Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz) and Albany/Kensington in the East Bay. He will works out of the Salinas office twice a week. So the commute to the East Bay would be crazy, so most likely we will land back in the Santa Cruz area which is not a bad thing. We had a very nice life there until we had to sell our house. I am looking forward to being back with all of my friends there. The living sure was easy for a tree hugger in those parts (well except for the cost of living).

Old 02-23-2009, 03:30 PM

117 posts, read 366,676 times
Where do tree hugging, vegetarian liberals belong in OC?

Definitely on the 5 Fwy headed north to Portland, Oregon. You'll love it there. You'll fit right in.

Old 02-23-2009, 03:36 PM

We checked out Portland right after 9/11 and it definitely wasn't our scene at all. Too rainy, dreary and dirty for us. It was actually too hippie (we're the very clean, well dressed types with hippie values).

Old 02-23-2009, 03:42 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,711,350 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
We checked out Portland right after 9/11 and it definitely wasn't our scene at all. Too rainy, dreary and dirty for us. It was actually too hippie (we're the very clean, well dressed types with hippie values).
Jayne, I think you are going in the right direction for your needs and desires, especially if you end up back in Santa Cruz..Good luck,

Nita

Old 02-23-2009, 03:46 PM

Thanks Nita. I sure hope so. It feels so good to be going home. Santa Cruz is where my 22 month old daughter was born (at home). I feel great about bringing both of my girls home to the state where they were born.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:14 PM

1,016 posts, read 3,056,445 times
Quote:
Thanks for your concern Charles. You have been a wealth of information. DH knows that NorCal is better for us even though we both prefer the warmth of OC. So now we are concentrating on Scotts Valley (Santa Cruz) and Albany/Kensington in the East Bay. He will works out of the Salinas office twice a week. So the commute to the East Bay would be crazy, so most likely we will land back in the Santa Cruz area which is not a bad thing. We had a very nice life there until we had to sell our house. I am looking forward to being back with all of my friends there. The living sure was easy for a tree hugger in those parts (well except for the cost of living).

Good choice! If I could afford it, I'd consider living up there. I've got friends in Boulder Creek and I really love it up there.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:37 AM

1 posts, read 2,908 times
Default Claremont

I can't believe nobody told you to move to Claremont. It is right next to Pomona but is a beautiful college town, affordable, and definitely has a liberal/vegan etc. contingent. It is a very unique place in Southern Cal and sounds perfect for you guys. its in LA county, not OC though.

Old 03-03-2009, 11:41 AM

Thanks griddle, I am pretty sure no one mentioned it because air quality is at the top of my list of priorities and the air quality there is terrible.

This is according to the Money magazine Best place to live in 2008:
Air quality index*
(% of days AQI ranked as good) 45.5%

Old 03-03-2009, 09:47 PM

5,762 posts, read 11,367,944 times
Quote:
Thanks griddle, I am pretty sure no one mentioned it because air quality is at the top of my list of priorities and the air quality there is terrible.

This is according to the Money magazine Best place to live in 2008:
Air quality index*
(% of days AQI ranked as good) 45.5%
Yes, most anyplace in the inland empire area which includes Pomona-Claremont-Upland would have lousy air quality for at least half the year. On the bad days you have to chew as you breathe, if you get the idea. They have a nice farmer's market in Claremont that I have been to a few times on days when the smog was not terrible, but that was not during summer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County