Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2009, 09:00 PM

37 posts, read 42,646 times

Advertisements

I know this has been discussed many times, but I haven't seen any post that were super recent. With the budget crisis in California somewhat resolved, I'm thinking that perhaps the game has changed a bit.

I am a certified elementary and spanish teacher in Oklahoma. Will have killer letters of reccomendation, but have only been teaching for a year and a half. Will I have a problem getting a job? I'm getting worried because the only jobs I see on ejoin.org are for charter schools in the inner city. I am willing to apply for something like that -- but am worried that those might be the only jobs out there and there will be super fierce competition even though they are relatively undesirable.

I'm willing to teach in LA too --- as long as I am relatively close to CSU-LB.

Any assistance/advice is GREATLY appreciated!
-Joseph
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2009, 10:06 PM

3,309 posts, read 5,683,337 times
Yes, you will not find jobs anywhere for teaching in Orange County. The budget passed this week includes several million more cuts for schools....just because we have a budget does not mean we have solved the financial meltdown.

Perhaps you should look into the Inland Empire (Riverside/San Bernardino). There are some growing areas out there.

Old 02-22-2009, 10:40 AM

224 posts, read 954,307 times
Don't get discouraged. Regardless of the crisis and the budget cuts, you will need to get out there and do some legwork. I'm reasonably sure districts will have to replace Spanish teacher who have retired, moved, passed away, or quit.

Old 02-22-2009, 12:28 PM

301 posts, read 1,505,647 times
You won't find many jobs posted right now. May-August is hiring season.

Old 02-22-2009, 02:01 PM

624 posts, read 1,242,824 times
Enrollments are declining because of job loses and no more liar loans. The state just cut about 15 billion dollars from education. Unless you know somebody who is a principal, superientendant or the like , I would keep your job in Oklahoma. People are leaving this state due to the unhealthy job climate, high tax rate, and poor quality of education. California ranks 49 out of 50 in school quality.

Old 02-23-2009, 04:23 PM

41 posts, read 130,184 times
The OC is a TERRIBLE place to find a job as a teacher. I tried finding a job in 2004. I have a master's degree, graduating with honors from both undergad and grad school. I had amazing recs, excellent evaluations, 5 years of experience, etc etc. I was offered a job by Capistrano and then told 2 days later they couldn't hire me because I "cost too much." Essentially, by being educated and experienced I would cost them too much. AMAZING. To think that there is a school district in CA that would, in a sense, punish you for being too educated. Classic. Anyways, it's only worse now. Finding a job in LA would be much easier, although I don't know how much easier given the budget crisis right now. Good luck

Old 02-23-2009, 08:20 PM

26,338 posts, read 93,440,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins View Post
they couldn't hire me because I "cost too much."
Everyone knows Capistrano only hires Trojans.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:11 PM

37 posts, read 42,646 times
Thanks everyone for the advice thus far. I had no idea the hiring season begins so late. That is incredibly helpful to know (and also going to be a PITA!). My principal is not going to be happy with me if I tell her she needs to find a teacher in mid-june!

My long term goals are to become a school psychologist. I've had a long term goal of moving to southern california (like the weather, surfing, bigger cities) and realize that since there are no convienient schools with the program within commuting distance, that this is my chance. My brother lives across from the Naval Weapons Station in Westminster and I really like the area.

I am willing to consider other areas (LA, northridge), but don't want to stray to far from a csu campus or the nice weather.

Old 02-24-2009, 12:09 AM

301 posts, read 1,505,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobruins View Post
I was offered a job by Capistrano and then told 2 days later they couldn't hire me because I "cost too much." Essentially, by being educated and experienced I would cost them too much. AMAZING. To think that there is a school district in CA that would, in a sense, punish you for being too educated. Classic. (
Been there. I was told "You're overqualified to be a high school teacher. And when you realize that in a year or two, you'll leave and go find a job teaching college, and we'll have to go through the expense of filling the position again."

I found out they hired a 22 year old right out of CSULB. He had no experience in the subject matter and didn't have a credential (bottom rung of the pay scale).

Old 02-24-2009, 01:41 PM

41 posts, read 130,184 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Everyone knows Capistrano only hires Trojans.
Just so you know I graduated from USC too Sorry to disappoint!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County