Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:29 AM

277 posts, read 625,486 times

Advertisements

I lived in Orange County for many years and think many people are either exaggerating the problem or are looking to be offended, OC is less than 50% non-Hispanic White so I don't know where you people are coming up with your conclusions.

I lived in an area that had a large Vietnamese population but I have been all over the county. When I went to Newport Beach in my truck I got the funny looks from people also and I am as white as they come. I had friends in OC from all backgrounds but the vast majority were Hispanic and Vietnamese. You have good and bad in every group and you shouldn't waste your time associating with people who don't like you. I have had comments directed towards me that could be considered racist also but I don't condem the whole group I just chalk it up to that person being a jerk.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2009, 09:21 AM

9,963 posts, read 18,450,866 times
Listen folks cabolissa and I did not start the thread, a white/hispanic visitor to OC did, hopefully CUCUY weighs out all the comments. I just gave my experience, as well as my wife, and our friends experiences, all who happen to be mid-class Hispanic, living in OC.

Notice the people saying "this is ridiculous", "it's not that bad" and "this is an exaggeration" are not Hispanic. I will keep on saying OC is highly against Hispanics in general, especially when you compare it to other parts of California and the country.

I will leave it there, I am moving back up to the BayArea for good this Friday and would never recommend OC to a Hispanic person with any dignity. If you must work in OC, live in Long Beach...in L.A. County.

Old 03-02-2009, 09:39 AM

1,016 posts, read 3,049,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post
Listen folks cabolissa and I did not start the thread, a white/hispanic visitor to OC did, hopefully CUCUY weighs out all the comments. I just gave my experience, as well as my wife, and our friends experiences, all who happen to be mid-class Hispanic, living in OC.

Notice the people saying "this is ridiculous", "it's not that bad" and "this is an exaggeration" are not Hispanic. I will keep on saying OC is highly against Hispanics in general, especially when you compare it to other parts of California and the country.

I will leave it there, I am moving back up to the BayArea for good this Friday and would never recommend OC to a Hispanic person with any dignity. If you must work in OC, live in Long Beach...in L.A. County.
Very true. Comments were based on EXPERIENCE with racism in OC. If you're not hispanic, you can't really comment. Period.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:01 AM

277 posts, read 625,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cabolissa View Post
Yep, I think it is the "Christian Right" which many times equals "stuffy, uptight, crackers!"
After reading comments like this I can't imagine why any white person might not like you.

I believe in treating everyone the same until they give me a reason to do otherwise. Stereotyping a whole group is not doing you any favors.

Last edited by Wayneb; 03-02-2009 at 11:07 AM.. Reason: added more.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post
After reading comments like this I can't imagine why any white person might not like you.
cabolissa is white btw, she is married to a Mexican...so I think she has earned the right to use such comments.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayneb View Post

I believe in treating everyone the same until they give me a reason to do otherwise. Stereotyping a whole group is not doing you any favors.
I'm not stereotyping any "whole group"... I'm stereotyping my neighbors here in OC... The "Christian Right"... And your assumption that I'm not being treated equally, is incorrect. I'm white, and am embarrassed by all this anti-immigrant crap that my fellow "whities" barf out. If you sense my dissatisfaction with the majority of the OC conservatives, you're spot on. They treat my Mexican HUSBAND like he's a piece of trash, even though he's as middle-class as they are. And is more travelled than they ever will be. And, by the way, that was what the OP was asking about. How his South American WIFE would be treated had they moved to OC. Being in the exact same situation, I advised against it...

By the way, thanks Mach50 for the support.

Old 03-02-2009, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by crisp444 View Post
Mach50, cabolissa, and everyone else, I would like to hear your opinions of whether you think the issue is:

-Racism against dark-skinned mestizo and native American-appearing Hispanics,
-Classism against working-class and lower-income Hispanics, or
-General prejudice against those of Latin background.

I ask because a good friend of mine of Latin background (Mexican) is considering an employment opportunity in Orange County. If the problem there is racism, this isn't a concern because he is white. If the problem is classism, there isn't a concern because he has a college degree, will be working a professional job, and will live in a nice area. However, if the issue is general prejudice against those of Latin background, this is a major problem (he has lived always lived in "Latin friendly" places like Monterrey, Boston, and San Antonio) and I would like to know in which areas of Orange County this can be avoided so that I can relay this information to him.

Assuming that the issue is prejudice against people of Latin background, why would this be such a problem in an affluent area like Orange County? I ask because I have lived many places and have observed that usually the most tolerant places are those in which a high percentage of the population is educated and affluent. Why do people have a problem with Hispanics? I have heard people cite OC's general "conservative and Christian" vibe. Given that people of Latin background tend to be socially conservative, have strong family values, and religion-wise are Christian, I would think that these people would be embraced in Orange County.

Would a young, educated Latin guy in his mid-20's encounter any problems in the more "liberal"/"tolerant" areas like Laguna Beach, Irvine, or Huntington Beach?
IN MY EXPERIENCE: General prejudice against those of Latin background.

By the way, assuming that the affluent are educated is not entirely accurate. And many OC conservatives love their hispanic gardeners, cleaning ladies, and nannies... But they wouldn't socialize with them! As I stated before, OC is segregated. People stick to their own. I'm in a mixed relationship and don't know another mixed couple here. It's the most closed-minded places we've ever lived in, and are happy to move soon! I don't need to be in a liberal area, but a more friendly, live-and-let-live area...

Old 03-02-2009, 12:28 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,712,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mach50 View Post

Mach50: You are being contradictory. You made a comment that being white and fraternizing with hispanics in Orange County would earn you ire from typical whites. I gave my opinion as a white man who fraternizes with hispanics in Orange County and never experiences those problems. You then made a comment, in the quote above, that being white means your opinion doesn't count, then proceeded to support cabolissa's statements eventhough she is white.

Old 03-02-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
Mach50: You are being contradictory. You made a comment that being white and fraternizing with hispanics in Orange County would earn you ire from typical whites. I gave my opinion as a white man who fraternizes with hispanics in Orange County and never experiences those problems. You then made a comment, in the quote above, that being white means your opinion doesn't count, then proceeded to support cabolissa's statements eventhough she is white.
So when you stated "This is the biggest load of bullcrap I've ever heard in my life" you were speaking from the white person perspective of not seeing it...That's cool, I am glad you are not that way. But in my experience as a Hispanic person (white/mexican) married to a full on Mexican girl it is NOT bullcrap, it is real and I fully support what Cabolissa is saying.

Old 03-02-2009, 01:44 PM

Frankly, it all boils down to our experiences. If you haven't experienced racism in OC, great. Not surprising though, since most of you are white (duh)...

I have witnessed racism in OC against my husband, plain and simple.

Question asked and answered... Why do you need to deny it exists, just because you haven't witnessed it???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County