Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2009, 07:09 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,436,952 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonMikey View Post
people are saying living in ladera ranch requires additional taxes to be paid or fees. is this true and would it apply to apartment communities?
You're probably reading about Mello-Roos. You'd pay it on your property tax bill if you bought a house there. The apartment owners also pay it but it's just factored into the overall rent. You pay it indirectly, but you'll never see a bill for it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2009, 07:14 PM

37 posts, read 135,055 times
Quote:
ummm...ok, forget the 'city-ish' things now, i found an apartment complex in my budget and it seems new and nice and has decent reviews online with a few exceptions...
it is called 'laurel vista' i think, and some people say there are a lot of break-ins to their vehicles, which seems crazy to me considering this area is supposed to be one of the nicest and safest places to live...thoughts?
also, people are saying living in ladera ranch requires additional taxes to be paid or fees. is this true and would it apply to apartment communities?
apartment reviews are junk, IMO. I looked at a lot before I went out searching and found them way out of whack with what I saw. Jaded people and employees are the only people writing reviews, and I don't trust either group. Like I said, really is best to see them in person. Sucks, but it's true. One option if you don't have a massive amount of stuff would be to stay at a hotel (hell, almost the same $ as renting) while you search. Most Uhaul places and such have cheap storage while you're finding a place you want to live. If you actually rent a uhaul, you get a free storage room for a month. You'll be much happier if you take the time to search out the best complexes... trust me.

Old 05-03-2009, 11:58 AM

14 posts, read 73,715 times
Regarding the Laurel Vista apartments you wouldn't be paying of the taxes and association fees of home ownership in Ladera. As a renter in Ladera, you have full access to all the Ladera amenities and the community intranet. While Ladera is known to be a community full kids and families, there are gay families who live and love living in Ladera. Also, on the community intranet, there are social links that can connect you with clubs or other interests. Lastly, because the community is so internet connected, I think you have more knowledge of car break-ins than you would living somewhere that isn't so connected. My reading of the break-ins is that the thefts are targeting cars that leave valuables in plain view. In this day and age, crime is hitting everywhere and you just gotta be smarter about it. Good luck!

Old 05-03-2009, 02:05 PM

10 posts, read 28,149 times
Default Thanks!

Yea. Like I said, I'm not as worried about the whole gay situation as much as I am about finding a nice place to call my new home. Being within reasonable driving distance and close to shops and activities is important, as is living in an updated apartment, with hopefully no bug and pest issues.

I agree with your comments about reading reviews versus seeing things in person, but when I read 10 reviews complaining about ants and spiders and silverfish, I get a little concerned.

I know bugs are probably going to be more of an issue in CA than in MA, but I find it hard to believe that every single apartment complex in Orange County is going to have bugs and spiders and ant infestations...it's actually ridiculous to me...and scary. =P

Old 05-03-2009, 02:59 PM

26,329 posts, read 93,723,939 times
Quote:
I know bugs are probably going to be more of an issue in CA than in MA,

I think they'll be less of an issue. Maybe some spiders. Ants when there's a heat wave or major rain storm. Few mosquitoes or other humid environment bugs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > Orange County